Tuesday, October 13, 2020

A Peachy Finish

So I finally got Peachy Cameo quilt hand quilted and bound! Lots and lots of distractions this past month and unfortunately, hand quilting did not always make the priority list. It turned out to be such a pleasant quilt, almost restful looking! Turns out that I adore strong blues paired with orangey reds and peach. Who knew?
Peachy Cameo is finished!

The original intent was to use loads and loads of the peach solid fabric, but somehow it only ended up with one wide border. Not terribly unhappy with that outcome as the quilt ended up with a nice peachy glow regardless. Something to remember. A little bit can sometimes go a very long ways! The fabric behind the blue circle-ish blocks is a darker peachy brown colored fabric. It was something that had languished in the stash totes for at least 10 years and finally found a wonderful home in this experimental palette. I love how the darker shade grounds the quilt just a little bit more than the lighter shades would have.

 A look at the full quilt

Every time I finish up another medallion sort of quilt, it seems that I'm raring to go on yet another. I definitely don't want all of my quilts to read this way, but hey! Medallion quilts can be sort of addictive!

Centerpiece

I don't usually put eyes on the birds in my quilts, but this one insisted. This centerpiece is not especially intricate or fabulous, but I am super happy with the overall sweetness. And the background fabric for the centerpiece makes my heart go pitter patter. Too bad I only had a fat quarter of that particular fabric!

Looking across the quilt

I think it's safe to say that many of us who have quilted for years and years often get in our little 'ruts'. We have preferences and go-to background color choices and it's easy to stay in our safe little comfort zones with very little thought. With this quilt, I was determined to step away from the cream background look that I continually turn to. Then of course, I ended up working cream into the quilt anyway, first in the very center of the quilt and then later, at the outside border. Just can't seem to help myself! I felt like the quilt needed the lighter color at the outside especially, just to continue with the soft, open look that had been developing. There's something about the way the borders almost seem to 'flow' through one another that is very intriguing to me.

Border work

This entire quilt is my own design. Like usual, in the initial planning stages, I drew up a rough draft {quilt doodle}, just basic ideas for the borders and a general plan of attack. I love starting with a scribbled-on-paper feeling of what I think/want the quilt to look like. The details are not super important at that point. It's more about getting the intended vibe drawn out in picture form before being totally forgotten and swept away in the detritus of life. You have to remember that I often take several years from the very first seed of inspiration to final quilt completion. Not to mention, there are usually many other quilts in the works at the very same time!

Overall I think this quilt was successful in maintaining most of that original intended vibe. The only thing that I wish had turned out differently, would be the green vine applique. It should have been more rounded {or bowl shaped} on the bottoms of the vine. There were several factors involved in that decision, including having to increase the vertical width of the border or potentially losing the amount of tulips and berries that could be added in. Maybe even having to make the tulips smaller? Knowing that the side borders were going to be altogether different kept me more focused on 'proportion' than maybe I should have been.

Bottom corner details

As usual, I started this quilt with a stack of long-simmering fabrics. The colors used in the centerpiece were vitally important in setting the tone of the entire quilt. I've found that if you get that part wrong, there are certain colors in that gorgeous stack of fabric that will never, ever play nicely together. Always so disappointing to have to abandon perfectly lovely pieces of fabric that originally seem destined for good use together. But it does happen. And sometimes it even hurts.

With a medallion quilt, I make notes of which color combination to try and use in each proceeding border, trying to tie back into the centerpiece of course. This is something that I audition several times throughout the making of the quilt top. If I use a lot of blues in this border, then what works best moving forward to the next round? 

Sometimes you find that a coping border will be needed and then there's the challenge of finding a fabric that doesn't read too glaringly 'off' or ends up being distracting. It's important that coping borders fill a minor role and don't take away from more complex border work done before or after.  I hit the jackpot with this very light blue fabric. For whatever reason, that soft, simple fabric ended up emphasizing my centerpiece, which was an awesome result! 

For those of you who were wondering, the light blue coping border was needed in order to have the next pieced border fit together properly.  Though it doesn't usually bother me, I didn't want anything chopped off in this quilt. And well..., it has to be said. I rarely plan ahead for perfect measurements at the exact moment of starting a quilt! Maybe I should? Hmm...  Most of you know very well by now, that my preferred method is simply 'eyeballing' things. If something looks good to my eye {or appeals to my gut instinct}, then it's a go. Everything after just has to be made to adjust and fit in. It's the human touch look that I'm after. Absolute perfection is just sooo boring!

So even with the original scribbled quilt plan, I never truly know what my quilts will look like until they are 100% completed. The entire project becomes a huge make-do effort as one decision informs the next one. That's the way that my personal creativity works best. Meeting the challenge of getting a quilt top to 'work' at each particular phase, whether that includes color, fabric, measurement issues or perhaps even needing to add in a new design element. The best quilts keep me on my toes throughout, cause me to think outside the box for solutions and often end up with something that surprises.

In this quilt, the 'surprise' is the multi-colored fabric that was used for the scalloped border. Deliberately cutting that fabric in a specific direction gives it a subtle striped look that just makes me smile. I would have thought that fabric entirely too busy for use as a scalloped border, but no! Turns out it was the perfect choice {color-wise} for that particular border and then it was just a matter of figuring out how to use it best. How could I not use it when the colors were so very spot on? We all know how difficult it is to find these pieces of fabrics when the moment is at hand. 

Okay, enough babbling. Time to quit avoiding the to-do list around here! It's good to have another 2020 finish wrapped up and behind me. 

 

33 comments:

  1. In my opinion that multi-color-stripey scallop border"makes" the entire quilt, pure genius! My new favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Absolute perfection is just sooo boring!" You said it!!! What a wonderful finish - you are right about the way things need to fit together as you work outward. You did a masterful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous design and colours ~ well done on another beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like all that applique - and yes we all have our comfort zones and it can be hard to step out of it!! I go for cream or mixed neutrals a lot - I have one coming up that will have a bit of black in it with bright colors for a change

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed your work on this quilt and think the finish is grand! The value ranges of the blues and peach/brown/red combo make this work. It wouldn't have nearly the impact if you'd skipped that light blue coping border.
    And I really like your "rounded square" vine applique. It leaves room for tulips and is just fun and funky. But I thought the outer striped scallop was pieced. How wonderful to find a print that works like this. The little circles on the outside are the cherry on top to me.
    Congratulations on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely finish on this beautiful quilt...I really like the upper and lower vine border work you did--so charming...nice job on this hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog and this quilt is lovely in every way! I want each of my quilts to be one of a kind on the planet and this quilt you imagined into reality is certainly one of a kind on this planet! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your quilting style... another wonderful quilt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just love the peach in this quilt. The quilt looks cosy and soft. Warm greetings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finish! The hand quilting makes it look so soft and the borders are perfect for it - love your style!! Fab use of dark blue and peach.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just fabulous! I can't stop looking at this one. Love the colors and the swag border. Just wow

    ReplyDelete
  12. This quilt is stunning! Your fabric color choices are fresh and look and blend well with your overall design. I love the section you call blue circle-ish blocks. It makes me think of lattice for the climbing flower vines. It looks so soft and inviting to cuddle up under with a good book. A beautiful, well designed quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this medallion quilt. Such liveliness and so many great ideas expressed.
    I wish there was one full on photo so I could view the entire quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This may be my favorite quilt of yours, ever. I am taking notes on how you used that peach, because I have been unsuccessful with peach in the past. I think you using three light backgrounds instead of just the peach was genius. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  15. really pretty and unique color combos...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super finish! I like that final scallop border too with the little flower things tucked in each dip. Very playful with a great 'personality' to it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing quilt. I love the colors and design. It is perhaps one of my favorites that you have made! The colors are simultaneously serene and joyful. Thank you for being so inspiring!
    Always look forward to seeing what you are up to! Stay well.
    mbbaker35@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic! And so creative!
    I don't do much applique so look with an admiring eye at quilts finished by someone who is so good at it and full of such creative ideas. And I rarely add borders to quilts because I can never think of what to add so look again with an admiring eye at all those creative ideas for borders. You make quilts I will never make but would certainly love to wrap up in and admire all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a beautiful quilt! Congratulations on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always have to reread your post a couple times to catch all of your interesting points and all the reasons for your designs. Your quilt is charming and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The striped scalloped border is my favorite part of this quilt. Would've sworn you pieced it! Another winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations, wonderful finished quilt. Your Peach Cameo is a darling.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful! And interesting. I lkove reading the details of your design process, I learn so much.

    PS I'd have put a dot in the very outer corners to punctuate that scrolly loop and make it hint of the surrounding flowers.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  24. My second time reading this post, Audrey. I just need to take it all in and try to remember your points. You do have a knack, dear, with combining shapes, fabrics, colours in such a pleasing to the eye kind of way. You really should be writing up your patterns and selling them. I for one, would be a buyer. Or working on your quilting book. Kudos on this finish!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great finish! I especially love the birds and the border flowers with dots!! You always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness, I absolutely LOVE this quilt!! Would love a pattern rough or not of this quilt. I don't have an artistic or original bone in my body. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your quilts! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the making of this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  28. yes yes and yes...Stunning job...I love it xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. A delightful finish! I love how the colours move across the quilt, and the final scallop border is amazing... it ties everything together. (I think I mentioned this b4, I have that Kaffe stripe and haven't been able to use it . any. where!)

    ReplyDelete
  30. An amazing finish Audrey! The detail in this stunning Medallion is just that - stunning. I love the mix of colours you've used in this one. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This quilt is just beautiful and interesting, as all your quilts are, but this may be my favorite so far of all your quilts. It's so lively and special. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bravo, this is so lovely, I can't understand why you don't sell your patterns, really, there are so good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.