Friday, August 9, 2024

Quilting My Way Through the Summer Heat

Somehow I ended up with a quilt top that has a brown background. Still shaking my head over this one, especially after all my 'I'm so tired of brown' rant last year. The fabric has been all stacked up and simmering for at least two years. I've always really loved how the colors melded together and just seemed to hold a lot of promise. 

Sort of completed quilt top--ready for applique!
But then I could never get started because a cream background {my default} just felt boring. And the blue that I eventually settled on could never gain any proper traction. It wasn't until I had these cream off-cuts from the back of another quilt that the quilt really started taking shape in my brain.

Really hopeful that the applique will not look too clunky 
when it lands alongside all of that busyness
From the very start, the whole idea behind this quilt was that I would be making some sort of 'background' for a largish-tree holding a bird or two. I guess now you can see that the brown, pieced together section over on the left side of the quilt will be where the Folksy tree will reside.

Always a puzzle getting the random bits
and pieces of fabric to play nicely with each other
It was interesting piecing together this quilt, quite absorbing if you want to know the truth of it. First I worked on the rows of baskets, separating them by random widths of free-cut strip sections. Mostly I just didn't want them to be stacked in tidy looking rows. It wasn't until the four main rows were sewn together that I realized the quilt needed to have more length.

Will be covered by a lot of applique, but it's
nice to make sure it doesn't look hideous!
Which worked out very well as I suddenly had an urge to put the other half of the chopped off basket there at the top on the right of the quilt. Isn't that charming? Had to throw together one more 'half' basket too as I was lacking that particular piece of the quilt. Wouldn't look right with just the half basket at the top, right? Needed another partial basket for balance.

Loving the look of the random setting and
partial basket blocks.
All the while, I was carefully cutting and hoarding the strippy slabs, trying to ensure that I wouldn't run out. When most of the quilt was sewn together, I all of a sudden realized that I wanted a smallish brown area at the bottom of the quilt too. It didn't look right without the strip sections so in this case I had to go digging through the trash.*whew!  So glad there was just enough, even though I had to sew two really narrow pieces together at the far bottom right at the quilt!

Wish I would have had wider strips for 
the bottom of the quilt...
Overall, it went rather well, all of the myriad mistakes and seam ripping necessary to power through aside. I am super thrilled with the look of the cozy blues and violet coin strips throughout. There's one blue plaid fabric that is actually a shirt that I stole from my youngest sons closet a few years before he moved out. I mean, he never really wore it! So sweet to see it working so hard for this quilt.

Loving the look of this centerpiece! So sweet
that it's mostly all orphaned applique bits!
I also managed to find time to finish up the applique for the Joy Basket quilt. It needs a little trimming and then next will be decisions about the border or possible borders? to attach. I thought there would be the word 'joy' appliqued onto the centerpiece as well, but so far it's just not working out for me. Will hold the idea in reserve until later in the quilt and maybe try again. 

Starting to see the texture take shape
The hand quilting has been going very slowly on the Coronacrazy quilt, though I am working on it most nights during the week. Just can't seem to peel myself away from the phone and dumb scrolling early enough in the evening to get much done. Really annoying.

Had a hard time figuring out what to quilt
in the dark green border area.
I think the problem is that there is soooo much applique and there is a little more effort involved in running the needle through the quilt sandwich. Just doesn't feel quite as meditative as I generally prefer so yeah, I'm practicing avoidance. Ugghh.  May not even get 12 quilts finished up to the completed quilt top stage this year if I don't knock if off and get busy!


14 comments:

  1. I just really love the process on the brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. The brown basket quilt is fascinating. I love it when I can find enough scraps in the trash to create what my mind has come up with. Nice work! The half baskets are quirky and fun. I've started a brown scrap quilt. It's not a color I normally use except in applique. But, I've got a bunch stacked up and am trying to use as a main color. It's a stretch. If I want dark colors I normally turn to black or charcoal. That's one of the things I like about quilting, there is always something new to learn or experience even if it's just the use of color. Sorry your Coronacrazy is going slowly. It's makes a difference how anxious I am to work on something if the quilting goes slowly or is more difficult to work on. The joy basket quilt is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At last, back to reading blog posts and I've so enjoyed reading this one from you Audrey. I love your coin strips separating the basket blocks, they go beautifully with the browns you're using, I rarely use brown but the two colours here are stunning. Joy Basket is a delight to see, the softness of colour and your stunning applique is beautiful, looking forward to the next step. Coronacrazy - my head spins at the time you must have spent on all the applique in this quilt but well worth it and the quilting will really finish it off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the brown in that quilt - something so unique and it draws me in. I look forward to seeing the Folksy tree begin to grow. And there is comfort in hearing that you are also pulled by the scrolling. It has hit me hard during this summer of too much heat. I am hopeful it will break soon and I will be able to have a quilt in my lap for hand quilting again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the brown quilt has a very primitive vibe to it doesn't it. It reminds me of something that would have been made years ago and then when you said there was a shirt from your son in it too I thought yes that is it - a vibe feeling from used clothing put to use! love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great progress! And stay cool, our heat has cooled down a little here, what a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a wonderful way with words. I think this brown quilt and how you let it speak to you all along the way is perfection! But when I saw the centerpiece flowerpot at the bottom I thought to myself that is one of the prettiest things I have ever seen. Then I thought...that woman is an artist and creative quilt mastermind. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all great projects. I love the circles in the dark green border. It’s hard for me to quilt circles that still look round - yours look great! The texture is adding so much to a beautiful quilt. Love the brown basket quilt too - I look forward to seeing the tree grow and the bird alight there :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Audrey, laughed out loud when you said you stole one of your son's shirts to use for quilting! I did the same with my daughter's scarf, glorious colour combinations, and she has so many! She doesn't seem to have missed it, haha, but I haven't made the quilt yet! Love reading about the way your mind works making quilt decisions! Still stuck on the first border of Bramble Blooms, left it on the wall to marinate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.s. I agree with Pamela, that centrepiece flowerpot is wonderful, and you are indeed an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quiltdivajulie -- ironically, I adore that scrappy brown background. And of course your baskets and appliqué always make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can identify with your dilemma of evening scrolling rather than picking up our beloved hand quilting and actually getting something accomplished. Something I've been dealing with the past several months too, and it's discouraging to say the least. It may have something to do with the fatigue that settles in with the constancy of being a caregiver. That said, your blue-purple combination for the strips in the brown quilt really brings this creation to life, a little bit quirky and a whole lot of fun! I always look forward to seeing a new post with your latest adventures with color and design.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just have to say, You may not care for the brown basket quilt, but i LOVE the browns and blues and purples together in combination. It is a very pleasing combination to me. At least on my computer screen, they look great. I too look forward to seeing new posts from you. I hope life gets better for you and especially your hubby. Take care. Hugs, Kara

    ReplyDelete
  14. The brown quilt with baskets looks interesting and I like the big pot with flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.