Tuesday, July 30, 2024

The Finished Baby Boy Quilt and Free-Cut Strips

The baby quilt is all done finally. It's bound, washed and even has a label! The binding was the last little detail to get figured out and luckily I had the perfect fabric waiting in the wings. On its own, it was an uninspiring piece of fabric, but for the purposes of this quilt? Just what was needed.

Grandsons baby quilt is done!
I struggled with this quilt all along. Mostly because baby quilts can be difficult for me these days. There's just no room for expanding on the original idea and that just feels a little suffocating! And it was a boy quilt so that feels even harder. As per usual, I gathered together fabrics from what was at hand. Then I went looking for more.

Simple quilting here in this area
I was able to use a couple fatquarters my mom gave me early this spring and also, managed to buy just a couple pieces that seemed necessary to convey the color palette my DIL wanted. When the quilt top stage was finally achieved, I have to admit to feelings of abject failure. Why oh why didn't I just keep going with the overall block theme and leave off the outside border inclusion? 

Want to know a secret? Because it was a very old fabric that I was quite determined to use up and this seemed like the best quilt opportunity ever. Huh. So muleheaded when I get an idea in my head. Was it worth it? Hmmm.... Ill let you decide.

Decided to add more quilting texture into the border 
Thankfully, after the quilting texture jumped into the quilt and the washing revealed the quilty goodness, I was able to stand back and view the quilt a little more kindly. Yes, it could have been better, but overall, it's a warm, boyish looking quilt. Goal accomplished. After all, a baby quilt doesn't have to be the best of all of our efforts. It just has to be sweet, cozy, cuddly looking and not too special to be used!

Crumpled and cozy looking
Bonus, my DIL seemed very, very happy with it! Gotta love that. Goes wonderfully well with the newly finished baby room decor of highland cows and little cowboys.*sigh  Also, what a relief to know that even though it was late by my standards, it was good timing for her.

A little bit of the back showing
In other news, our daughter gifted us with a trip to Alberta, Canada. We drove up to Banff {with her} from our home here in Washington. Very fast trip, but such a lovely drive and all the mountains and glacier fed lakes that we saw were just incredible. We were in awe! Wish we could have had more time to explore, but it was definitely a trip that we will treasure forever.

Lake Louise, Canada
I know this will make some of you uncomfortable, but we are actually quite poor at the moment. Which made the trip all the sweeter as it wasn't something we would have been able to do on our own! Though my husband is doing better now, he has had lots of sickness in the last several years with this past winter being the absolute worst. We really almost lost him and so our time together seems very precious. All the lost work, together with the poor economy, rising inflation etc. and we are just struggling financially. As I'm sure others are as well. I mean, have you noticed the price of groceries and fuel?

Got to start somewhere!
Which brings me to quilting. So very thankful for my totes of fabric. Even without buying a single piece of fabric, I can probably keep making quilt tops for at least a couple years. They might be 'interesting' color palettes, but then, that's my thing, right? No worries there. And then there is the bins of scrap fabric. Surely that could keep me occupied for another year or two? Ha! Not that I'm complaining. It is what it is.

The completed slabs of fabric strips for cross-cutting
I came home from the trip with an overwhelming need to get busy in the quilt room. Kind of like an ache in my heart just to play with fabric. I wandered around sort of aimless though, until finally making myself pick a project and sticking to it. Can't imagine why I landed on a project that featured so much blue, can you? 

Getting the baskets joined together
I free-cut strips until I had enough to make at least ten slabs of the mixed blue and violet fabrics. As always, it was tricky getting started, not knowing how exactly to set things up in order to not waste fabric. Eventually I decided that these final strip sets needed between two to three strips of blue for every addition of the violet ones. I know they are a little blendy looking in the blue sections, but that is by design. Hopefully this results in a calmer, cozier vibe for the baskets without competing too much for imminence.  

Each row of baskets will be slightly staggered if I can just figure out how to do the layout. Then there will be a section to the right with more of the dark brown fabric {no baskets at all}. This will be the 'background area' where I intend to cut out and applique a largish folky looking tree and perhaps a bird or two. It's all doodled onto a piece a paper, but putting it into fabric is wonderfully challenging as always....


14 comments:

  1. The little quilt is wonderful. I can recall that years ago I made a scrappy quilt for my sister's next baby (a boy). She looked at it and said, "Oh"! Not "Oh wow."

    So I made her one in soft blue and yellows and she was happy. It's more important that the mom is happy than the baby, as the baby doesn't know they had a choice. It's the love they feel in the making of it.

    I work in a big box store and see the prices go up constantly. It is a real worry for everyone right now. Hang in there and enjoy the fabric you have, as well as the fact that your hubby is better. Amen to that.

    The picture of Canada is lovely. So glad you got to travel a bit.

    San / Murphy, NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am in the same frugal boat...since i moved to MD 8 years ago lots of medical issues, no job so living on my soc sec only...it sure is a challenge...my stash is healthy enough to keep me busy and other quilters have thankfully shared...my car recently died as well so i am pretty much confined at home...you are blessed to have a daughter able to gift you lovely trips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the quilt is lovely and when they are washed and dried and all that antique crinkly looks arrives it looks wonderful. My daughter is in the same boat - lost her job last year and basically spent almost a year unemployed I was buying grocery's for her and us and it was awful. Now she has a permanent part time job and a temporary part time job - it is getting better but not their yet. I'm sorry your husband had been that sick - I remember you had mentioned it but it was worse than I realized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is fantastic! I'm glad. your view of it has softened after laundering the quilt, and with DIL's reaction to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m glad you enjoyed your trip to Banff. It’s only an hour away from where I live (in Calgary) I think your new project color way is intriguing. It’s great to have a stash for so many reasons. I’m glad to hear your husband is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless you and your family! I know husband health issues can be very difficult to experience. And then the economy... Some how I pray you'll make it through, one day at a time, walking by faith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lake Louise is so gorgeous in your picture. Who knew there was such a beautiful place? I'll never make it to Banff but I'm sure glad you got to go. Having a fabric stash is truly a blessing. I learned during Covid that I need to stock up on thread too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The baby quilt is unusual and darling. I m curious to know how the mom described the color choices tho: slate grey/ ashes and rusty orange? Faded indigo and tomato red? My monitor, usually pretty accurate has me baffled. I love the wide border and the general soft crumply washed finish.

    Love the baskets quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your challenges as well as your triumphs, Audrey. Your authenticity shines through everything you do. Changes in circumstances are hard, and I hope easier times are ahead for you and your family. Robina

    ReplyDelete
  10. A perfect palette for the little cowpoke's quilt. It just reads all boy in a soft sweet way. So glad you had the opportunity to take a bit of vacation with your hubby, the beautiful photo of you both is a memory of that day to treasure always. I hope things will continue to improve with your husband's health, these stressful financial times are hard even for those in good health, prayers for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that the baby quilt is exactly what it is supposed to be, and I love it! Maybe you were sad that you finished it already? While you were working on it you might have been having sweet thoughts about that baby. You always make older fabrics shine. Thank you for sharing your challenges. With prices and medical costs rising, it is so hard for anyone who doesn't have the safety net of family. I am rooting for you as is everyone who reads your blog! I am glad that your DH has improved to the point where he can take a trip. I have always wanted to go to Lake Louise and that whole area. Also, I am getting compliments on my BB1, which wouldn't exist without you. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute baby quilt! Hang in there! I can relate to sick hubby. He's struggled with cancer and problems related to side effects of radiation for over 20 years. I was the sole breadwinner most of that time. And now that we are older our house is falling apart. I am so thankful I have sewing, gardening and reading for hobbies and ways to escape daily stresses especially since drug and alcohol addictions run in the famiily as ways to escape. I am also thankful I grew up poor and with absent parents so know how to make do and get by. So, hang in there, Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilts always seem to talk to you and end up being just right. It doesn’t take long for health issues to change one’s finances. I am so glad he is better and you had a wonderful trip together. Wonderful gift from daughter, I am sure your generosity over time treated her to many “specials”. Thank you is all that is really needed. May the days ahead hold many exciting and creative projects for you. Can’t wait to see. Dotti in CT

    ReplyDelete
  14. The baby quilt is so cozy and cuddly, what's not to love? But I agree that boy quilts are harder, though I can't explain why exactly. The trip to Banff sounds like just what you and the hubby needed to get away from all the stress. I think money is on the minds of most of us with the cost of everything going up so fast - I'm nearly ready to head back to full-time myself, despite the hubby having a good job that two years ago was plenty for us both. It makes me thankful, too, for my stash! And for your Bramble Blooms quilt along that is encouraging me to use it ALL! (Even the uglies!) I hope things improve both in your hubby's health and financially. In the meantime, the new quilt looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.