Wednesday, February 16, 2022

A Sweet Finish

This ended up being the perfect finish for February. I was able to get the last stitches in the quilt last Friday and then throw it in the tub for a quick soak. Nope! No bleeding from any of those darker red fabrics. Yay! Write out a simple label and then it was time to hand deliver to my sister on Saturday.

Petra's quilt is finished!
She had forgotten that I had promised to hand quilt it over this winter! Too funny. I was hurrying, trying to get it all done before she left for a month long vacation. Oh well. Now it's done, totally checked off my list and hopefully, just in time for a little Valentines Day lift. 

Love the scrappy 16-patches esp.
I ended up doing a machine, stitch-in-the-ditch grid around all the blocks and in the seams of the inner border. I was hoping this would free me up from doing an intensive hand quilting effort, but in reality, there was plenty to do regardless. This is a big quilt. 82" x 98" before washing!

Surprisingly serene looking
Though the piecing was done years and years ago, it felt like an old friend. So many memories were brought to mind of the time spent making this top. Lots of the fabrics felt very familiar to me too as she had gifted me with the scraps and leftovers afterwards. Those pieces have made their way into many of the quilts made later on though honestly, I had totally forgotten the connection!

Very cuddle worthy...
The Geese Tracks block is still one that I favor, although I can only recall making one other quilt with it. Love the old fashioned simplicity and charm of the block. How different it can look depending on the color/fabric it's made with. 

Lots of sweetness
So very happy to have this quilt behind me and know that finally, finally it's going to be used, loved and appreciated. It's very sweet to know that my sister still loves it even after all these many years! Neither one of us mentioned that it was also used as decoration for her wedding reception, hanging on the wall behind her cake table. That part is just sad as she's now a widow. I tell myself that it's much more useful now as a finished quilt than it ever was as a quilt top. Let the new adventures begin!

I think she likes it!
In other quilt happenings around here, I've been going after the 'Country Stars' quilt project like a crazy woman. I keep making mistakes and then have to make corrections somewhere, somehow. So far I'm not letting it get me down as this quilt really doesn't need to be fantastic, only nicely done. I'm currently working on the applique prep work for the outer borders, with high hopes that the whole thing will perk up just a teeny tiny bit. Still so very bemused to be working with this particular color palette once again. Just doesn't feel as natural as it once did!*sigh
Country Stars before applique
And I'm also trying to keep up with the improv. quilt projects for my quilt meetings. We just finished up with the 3rd meeting and now I've got everyone sewing their blocks or 'slabs' together. Next meeting will be all about trimming and cross cutting for the rows. I'm trying to keep the meetings at a pace to work well with both the beginning sewers and also, the long time ones. Don't want anyone to get overwhelmed to the point of quitting, but as of meeting #4 I'm expecting to lose at least one young mama. Sewing machine problems and too much going on as she currently home schools her children. Really can't move any slower though or the experienced sewers are going to start getting super frustrated. 

Quilt Meeting progress
I've worked it out so there will be 7 meetings in all {ending the last of March}, with everyone potentially bringing their finished quilt top to the last one. At that point we'll regroup with anyone interested in moving forward with hand quilting. Technically I could probably show the basics of machine quilting too, but I just don't feel very good at that part of quilting. I'm very hopeful that our one 'long arm' quilter lady will jump in at that point and offer to help whoever wants to go that route. 

Always finding new inspiration
On a different note, I have been admiring this particular fabric in my latest quilt in the hoop. Just love that flower shape, how simple and easy it looks. Might have to keep something similar in mind for a future quilt!


23 comments:

  1. Lovely finish on your 82" x 98", that is a big quilt! And your classes sound like they're going well, good for you.
    Great progress on Country Stars, a medallion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful BIG quilt finish - your sister looks very happy with it. She'll have lots of cozy snuggling with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely finish for your sister...I love the colors--very pretty and soft looking--you do that so well;))
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petra’s quilt is truly lovely! “Serene is a good word for it with those soft pinks, creams, and tans. “Goose tracks” is a fun block that I’d like to explore some day. By the way, Petra is my oldest granddaughter’s middle name🙂.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really beautiful finish for your sister, and one that will bring her comfort as well as memories of the happy times as she pieced the quilt and her wedding. There is a quiet beauty and timeless quality in the blocks and her chosen fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Petra's quilt turned out so pretty. I love the soft colors with the bold outer border blocks. Can't wait to see what you've worked out for the applique for Country Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking too that the quilt is happy memories for your sister - that is so nice that you quilted it for her - a joint effort to get it finished and it looks wonderful - I like the other quilt too

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful quilt, lovely soft restful colours. The hand-quilting really adds to it, makes me want to start hand-quilting again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what a beautiful quilt and a lovely gift I love visiting your blog it makes me happy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the country stars quilt is it paper pieced?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That quilt for your sister is a real beauty! It is filled with memories and carries a really wonderful story. I love the color and fabric print mixes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Her smile says it all .... a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sister's quilt turned out so beautifully. So interesting to hear the back story. It was a quilt well worth waiting for. The improv class sounds like fun - wish I lived in your area so I could attend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sisters quilt is truly beautiful. What a lucky sister.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sister does look totally in love with the finished quilt. Quilts are so much more useful finished than being left as a top. I'm glad you got I done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful; gift of time and attention, to hand quilt the piece for your sister.

    Lovely compass stars, interesting improv. How fun it would be to have a class/ group like that, with you as the teacher. I am a bit envious, I admit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just gorgeous, Audrey. Lucky sister to receive such a beauty. I too am envious of that group to have someone like you to help them. I would like to just sit and watch you work and get a feel for how you study fabrics and come to your quilty decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your sister looks very happy and why wouldn't she? It's a lovely quilt and how nice that as you worked on it you revisited fabrics that also remind you of other quilts you have made. It sounds like you are pacing your classes about right - so difficult balancing experienced sewers with beginners though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sew very happy for both you and sis that the quilt is DONE! Sorry for her loss, too soon. What fun you are having with your quilt class and that fun flower print too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. too soon, as in they didn't get to enjoy many years together.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous quilt with so many memories! Always so sweet. I love stitching in the ditch then hand quilting where it will be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Petra's quilt is lovely ~ I hope she enjoys using it in her home.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.