Friday, December 3, 2021

Still in the Applique Groove

The Crossroads blocks sort of jumped to the head of the line. They just weren't happy hanging out in the handwork bag any longer. I'm having so much fun stitching these down though! Love the fact that the circles are not meant to be perfect, never will be, don't wanna be, the end.

Crossroads blocks on the wall
When I was sewing the background of the blocks together, the scrappy piecing didn't seem especially impressive. I definitely second guessed myself more than once! Now that the applique is coming along, I remember why the mixed fabric backgrounds appeal to me so much. It's the make-do vibe that makes so much of the warm and fuzzy vibes happen around here. And the blocks were too big to do all one piece fabric anyway, seeing as how I tend toward fat quarter cuts....

An Amish look for the applique
The cut-out circles from behind the crossroads applique are entirely too sweet to throw away. Because of the piecing, I have to go back and reinforce all the seams where it's newly cut. That's not slowing me down at all! I've already been playing with several ideas for a brand new project using these cut-outs. It's just soooo irresistible! The motif in the picture below is probably the winner. Love the spunkiness of that particular flower, whatever it is. Tulip? Lily?

Or something with more attitude...
All the applique is finished up on the pear blocks now. The light gray background fabrics was possibly a huge mistake, but I'm gonna do my best to make things work out regardless. It just changes up where I thought the challenges were focused at in the quilt!

A stack of pear blocks
And though it was a busy, whirlwind sort of Thanksgiving weekend, I did manage to squeeze in just enough hand quilting to move this quilt out of the hoop earlier this week. After all the initial angst about how best to do the stitching, it simply soaked up tons of texture from the hand quilting! Yay! Binding is already sewn on by machine and hopefully there will be a window for hand stitching on this later this month.

Bullseye Medallion ready for binding work
The next quilt in the hoop should be a Christmas-look quilt, but the heart wanted this one. The soft vibe of this scrappy quilt was calling out very loudly and so really, what else is there to do but get it in the hoop? I've fussed with the initial stitching on this one for three nights now and am getting close to being satisfied. It's terribly hard sometimes to 'see' in that first stitching, but some colors of thread just look so very wrong

Strippy Triangles
I know that once I figure out that first hoop, the rest should be smooth sailing. Crossing my fingers this quilt will be super relaxing to turn to in the cold December evenings! If you're interested in making a similar looking quilt, I posted some rough directions here. It's a very fast and easy quilt to put together if you don't overthink things. Which I NEVER do! hehe

Loving the old fashioned look to this one
So that's that. I'm thinking about doing a Christmas applique giveaway again this year {am I crazy?} and can't decide between two Love Apple designs. What do you think, the older one, or the newer one


21 comments:

  1. For me the older one definitely...I love the shapes a lot but they are both lovely...
    The pears are looking so great in those greens, too. Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always interesting to see how you approach new and older projects. Love your strippy triangle quilt. It does have a nice vintage look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that last one you show! but always like all of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always get so much done in spite of everything. The crossroads blocks are coming together well. I don't know what it is about hand sewing circles, but I never tire of it. I just find it so satisfying. I'm fell the same way about finding the right quilting design when I first sit down to a new quilt. It takes a while for things to come together and just flow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always look forward to your posts! You always have the most appealing quilts in the making. I love those Crossroads blocks and your new Applique idea. I like the gray backgrounds on the pear blocks. When I saw your Strippy Triangle quilt I thought “ I would like to make one of those”. Thanks for the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything! HA. You do get so much done. The triangles quilt is an eye catcher for sure so much scrappy goodness it sparkles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your posts! Everything is so inspiring, especially the unexpectedness of what you choose in color and design. The triangles could just save my life!
    As for your Love apples, I vote for the older - just because there are more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like both designs. Your work is simply amazing!!!!! Hugs to all of you this Christmas season. Kara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Triangles, pears and circles! I really like how you keep several projects going at the same time, they feed from each other, right? I can see that. I get tons of inspiration from stopping in to visit here, thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving the re-use of the cut-out circles. Another fabulous design. Both Love Apples are pretty but, if I were to choose, I guess I'd opt for the "older". Maybe because I'm the oldest of my siblings! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Crossroads blocks look like a fun challenge, and I already have a stack of circles cut from the backs of the sunflower blocks in my diamond jubilee quilt. I love the gray backgrounds on your pear appliques, and the strippy triangle top looks like it would be super fun especially if I could keep from obsessing about keeping everything perfectly lined up. Between your two love apple quilts I think the older one would have to be my favorite though the other is pretty special too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whether tulip or lily this is a lovely design for applique and sits nicely on the circle. Luscious looking bright green pears and I love your Strippy Triangles, I'm definitely going to have a peek at your directions, fast and easy sounds just about right for me just now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many beautiful projects on the go! I have often got sidetracked and inspired with the scraps of a main project, and then finished the leftovers quilt first! So funny how that happens.
    I love the photo of the sun shining on the strippy triangles!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the triangle quilt! I also love both love apples, but the older one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the older one for your giveaway choice! Hugs from B.C.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, lots of inspiration here, thank you! I have some circles cut from the back of some appliqued blocks that would probably look really good as Crossroads blocks. And I love the quilt you have in the hoop. I may have to try that one out too. I really like the gray background with the pears. I like the older love apple best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful projects. I do love the Pears. The grey ground tho reminds me of the Pineapples I did, the recipient wanted grey instead of white or text on white, and afterward I felt it took away from the impact of the fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the pears, I’m thinking a green border will make the light backgrounds belong, but what do I know :)
    I love the crossroads! And I love love the triangles!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love both the older and newer Love Apples. If I have to pick, it would be the newer design. I had so much fun making your tulip quilt last year. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am sure loving your stripy triangles quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are a busy Gal ~ So many projects on the go! I am so loving those green pears (green, one of my favourite colours)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.