Saturday, July 24, 2021

So Where Were We?

So I was afraid that this would happen. Even though this quilt has been finished for weeks, somehow the time was just never there for posting. And my eleven year blog anniversary was July 19, 2021! Oh well. Sometimes life takes a turn and all we need do is try and keep up!

Roman Stripe #1

This quilt was a result of just wanting to do something {anything really!} with a stack of fabrics that had been marinating together for years. I finally settled on this coin setting just to keep things simple and quite possibly fast forward the completion. It's not like any grand plan had ever materialized in the meantime!

A very simple quilt

Though I was actually following a pattern for once, the end result was in fact, 2 quilt tops, because you know me. Following pattern instructions is not necessarily my strong suite.

Using up fabric to make the backing

The backing for Roman Stripe quilt #1 ended up being a mishmash of some languishing fabrics from the cream/tan stash tote and a few reds thrown in for interest. I almost like the back of the quilt better than the front, but then maybe not. It's just sorta interesting because it's more than one fabric, that's all.

Going to give this one away this week....

After my last post, I put in a tiny bit of hand quilting here and there, but mostly, I promptly went into wedding mode with my oldest daughter. She's super organized and had been working on her ideas and shopping for months.

Photography by
https://www.instagram.com/crystalmoonphotography/

But then there's the implementation part of a wedding and well... there is sooooo many things to consider and take care of! I kinda figured my job was to provide constant reassurance and all the practical help and advice necessary to get through.

Photography by
https://www.instagram.com/crystalmoonphotography/

At about 3 weeks before the wedding, I started steam pressing table clothes in my living room, and then rolling them up on pool noodles for storage until the day we could start decorating. 

Photography by
https://www.instagram.com/crystalmoonphotography/

We had a final fitting at the alterations place and lots and lots of prep work, list making galore and all the myriad details that make up a lovely, special wedding. At one point my daughter asked if all this planning and doing was 'dumb' and I was like, 'Absolutely not! Your wedding day deserves to be just as wonderful and unique as you want to make it!' 

Photography by
https://www.instagram.com/cascadedayhiker1/

Both my daughter and I bought an extra pair of shoes just to reward ourselves for surviving though! But oh how I enjoyed the last two weeks when she finally took off work and we were full steam ahead on the wedding lists. Of course I still had fit in my evening walk with my younger daughter {we've been trying to walk regularly since October} so I could fit into my dress and not feel like a bloated whale. Both of them wanted me to 'glam up' a little for the big day and I tried to act like me and glittery dresses are a real thing. lol  It all came together so beautifully with a tremendous amount of help from my family right at the last. And most of all there was happiness and celebrating. 

Our new Son-in-law is a total blessing and makes our daughter happier than we've ever known her to be. Somehow they manage to be a better version of themselves when they're together and that just makes this mama's heart practically overflow. Do I sound sappy? It was a very sweet day with lots and lots of those almost over-the-top, happy vibes that still manage to look and feel genuine! Now they're off living in southern Oklahoma which is a very looong way from Washington state. I'm pretty sure that's why I let my daughter talk me into letting her pack up a couple extra quilts when she left....

We still have company and more coming in next week, so it's gonna be a little bit before I'm back to more regular quilting. Since the wedding I've been doing clean-up, organizing and some packing up of the wedding gifts etc. It seems never-ending, but I think today was the last of it until we have to pack up the trailer for long distance. Washing up the white tablecloths was the very worst! At least I'm starting to pick up the hoop once again. Yay! In my brain I have been trying to quilt, but in actuality, I have been drooping by the end of evening, and barely even looking at social media, much less engaging in hand quilting! I was starting to get worried that my quilting callous was disappearing for good! Oh no's!! My mind isn't feeling super creative at the moment, but I'm sure when things settle down, things will start to come back to life. It's been a good month. 


25 comments:

  1. The wedding pictures are gorgeous! Congratulations, mother of the bride; and many wishes for a long lifetime of love and happiness for the new Mr. and Mrs.
    The quilts are lovely as well. I love scrap quilts. No fabric is ever wasted.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear about your adventures!
    I like how you describe the backing for your Roman Stripe #1, ' It's just sorta interesting,'
    Good call and finish!
    And your daughter's wedding, exciting and lovely. Best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and felicitations to your whole family. Happy blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely wedding photos. Best wishes to you all. And love your latest quilt finish, both the front & the back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love everything about this storypost! Your daughter and new son-in-law look so much in love, and I'm sure the day is a precious memory to everyone. Congratulations to all! As far as your quilts, I don't think I ever see something you 'married together from scraps', and not feel in awe of the loveliness you created! I'm sure you're ready for some downtime now, and by the sounds of it, you deserve it. Grab a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Wonderful! I am so happy for your daughter and her new life with her husband. Wonderful pictures and you look so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like it has been a WONDERFUL month - congratulations to the newlyweds AND their families! (and like you, I often like my scrappy backs as much if not more than the fronts - grin).

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very good day, and month indeed! Godspeed to the new couple. Good mama, sending the bride to her new home with quilted memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful photos!! lovely dresses both you and the bride - I love those bride photos - the wedding is always worth the extra effort put forth :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sweet coins quilt Audrey and sounds like a really special wedding - lovely photos and you all look really happy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful wedding photos. It's all the little details that come together to make it a special day for everyone. You look quite glam, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to you and your daughter! Weddings are so wonderful and they are extra special when it is your daughter. So happy for all of you. Isn't it nice that our kids are interested enough in our quilting to want to take them with them when they go? Happy crazy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely wedding! Everyone looks so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to your daughter. What a marvellous event to be busy with! She looks beautiful. Of course she wanted a couple extra quilts - she has good taste. You will just have to make a couple more to replace them 😂

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my Audrey, you have all nailed how to 'glam it up'! What a beautiful looking wedding. Could that young couple look any happier? Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous black & white picture of the bride & groom the last one is congrats to all

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wedding. How wonderful. She is a beautiful bride and so happy. Love her hair in curls down her back. I can tell who her mother is - you look alike. Congratulations to the newlyweds and all their families.
    I've been considering another Coin quilt and this one with lots of dark brights against light is a winner. The sashing makes it easier to sew but also adds sparkle to this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How lovely to have a wedding! Your daughter and SIL look so happy and beautiful. It sounds like you were working your socks off but it seems it was all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a busy time you’ve had. Congratulations to all on the wedding - lovely times for you all and gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good to see your post Audrey - you certainly have had a busy month away from the blog! Your Roman Stripe is a favourite of mine And I love the backing you've stitched up. Thank you for sharing a few of the wedding photographs with us, you all look so very happy and your beautiful daughter had a spectacular dress and veil!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, that is a gorgeous wedding dress and train. I love your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a nice wedding story, wonderful post, thank you for sharing and I love your quilt. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations, Mom, for being the support needed and looking beautiful for the big day. Oklahoma is truly a long way away but this day will live on forever in the family memories. I'm sure those quilting juices will be flowing soon if not already. Roman Coins is very pretty in its simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just loved that photo of the four of you. Audrey, your dress and hair were stunning and that colour looked so good on you. What a wonderful family event...weddings are the best! All the work so worth it. Such a lovely and happy bride.
    Oh, Coins looks really good and I like the backing very much too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful you, all glammed up, but stitching close by I'm sure. ya, our kids grow up and live elsewhere. quilting helps. Congrats, you pulled it off.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.