Thursday, June 17, 2021

Plodding Along

 There's not going to be a lot going on here quilty-wise in the next month or so, but hopefully I won't go completely dark! No matter what else is happening around me, I can usually squeeze in a bit of hand quilting, so there's that.

Sweet Hospitality is done!

The latest quilt finish is Sweet Hospitality. It's been in the quilt top stage since late in 2018. I loved the old fashioned pineapple blocks when I first started them, but somehow, somewhere, the quilt lost its pizazz for me and then, more or less became a problem child.

Still liking this pineapple block

As per my new normal, I was trying to use up fabrics from the stash and well, yeah. This was probably one quilt where I should have went out and bought special. Why am I so stubborn about this? Whatever! It ended up coming together better than I expected, but somewhere a bit below the standard that I tend to set for myself. 

Definitely looks better washed and dried...

Like I had hoped, the quilting texture really helped lift the look of the quilt. It's so funny that I oftentimes have wishful thinking when it comes to that hand quilting stuff. Surely, surely, it will cover a multitude of sins! Right? And that bright binding... Nothing like what I was expecting, but nevertheless, a very good save. After finally settling on it, I had to wonder why I ever expected anything else to work out? It was just so obvious....

Can a quilt be too scrappy?

I struggled mightily with how to quilt this one. Mostly because I get so tired of echo quilting all my applique efforts. Or do I actually do that? Maybe I'm just tired.*wink  Regardless, it all because so much clearer when I finally decided to put yet another quilt top on the back side of the quilt. Such a rare decision, but it seemed right for a 'just for play' quilt.



The improv. quilt back

It sent my brain into a tizzy at first wondering how not to end up with a complete and total disaster on one side or the other, then it all made sense. The only solution was to stitch some type of endless repeat. Of course! And I love the fact that it didn't even really matter whether it was a Baptist Fan or whatever else I chose. And don't let people dissuade you from extra piecing in the backing when it comes to hand quilting. With a curved stitching pattern, you rarely ever run into long stretches of 'too much seam allowance' to stitch through. A couple tough stitches here and there, and otherwise, it's all good to go!

Just had to see what this side looked like!

So I gleefully dove in with the idea of stitching simple looking 'Hills'. It's been a year and a half since I've done this, but I remember making a mental note to do this again some day. And it turned out to be such a good decision! Always rough to stick it out through the first row or two, but once it starts showing more, then it's time to relax and just enjoy the stitching. So crazy, I love the back of the quilt almost more than the front!

Looks cozy enough to use!

In fact, if my daughter-in-law hadn't chosen it for her next quilt, I'd probably be trying to hoard this one for a couple more years. Just for the improv. side. 'Cuz more and more, that's what I want to work on, even if I don't have a clue as to what I'm actually trying to accomplish! 

AHIQFlowers next up in the hoop!

And that leads me to the 'next up in the hoop' quilt top, #ahiqflowers. This one was a response to an AHIQ prompt and also, an interpretation of an 'Unconventional and Unexpected' quilt. There are many quilt tops that should be in the front of this particular quilt top, but you know how it is. Gotta grab the one that's actually making us WANT to pick up a needle and thread....

The sunflowers totally make it...

There are entirely too many have too's in our life at the moment, better to have a little bit of simple pleasure when I pull out the hoop in the evenings. At the moment it does feels like I'm trying to 'over-quilt' this one. Trying not to get too worked up about that though. One hoop at a time and the details will sort themselves out at the end. What is the worst case scenerio? I'll have a Kantha type look for my improv. quilt? Oooh... wouldn't that be terrible....


21 comments:

  1. I love your latest quilt finish and I don't think a quilt can ever be too scrappy. Scrappy is glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super quilt finish, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on how you decided on the quilting of Sweet Hospitality and gosh, the improv backing idea is something else! Love it! I'm waiting to see where you go with the quilting on AHIQ flowers - another exciting quilt top - happy that you've you've followed your have too's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you've settled on quilting your AHIQ flowers next, I love how you put this together! {and I know from experience, improv is not as easy as it looks!} And I love the improv backing on your scraptastic 'Sweet Hospitality' quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite all your misgivings what a great finish! Loving the new one in the hoop too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I,myself, love your pineapple quilt...especially the pineapple appliques...so lovely...it is not too scrappy ata ll for me!! Hugs on a nice finish Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. It always amazes me how you can take a flat surface and by adding simple repeat quilting turn it into a textural delight! I love this quilt and I cant even imagine quilting through all those seams front and back. I love that you did not do the usual applique outlines. So often all that quilting just gets lost and your "hills" really bring out the flavor of this whimsical applique. I just adore it. Love the next one up for the hoop too. And, no - you can never have a quilt that is too scrappy - at least in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always fun to hear what you have to say about your
    "Oh so amazing and refreshing" quilts. We all have our own opinions but it's nice to know how the maker feels about her own work. I love the bright binding, it adds so much. Glad you are able to squeeze some quilting time in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing wrong with the kantha look! And your description is WHY I do so many all over designs with my machine quilting - so it looks good on BOTH sides of the quilt. Great post - once again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finish on Sweet Hospitality and the backing is fabulous!
    Also your AHIQflowers interpretation is impressive you stuck to the design and added sunflowers and a little 'this and that' making it your own.
    I'm happy to see your detail on layering and pin basting and hand quilting, so inspiring to me. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still loving your old-fashioned pineapples - your quilt is fantastic, front and back! And as for your improv quilt, nothing wrong with a Kantha feel in my books. Enjoy your new quilt in the hoop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You took me by surprise with the improv quilt for the backing. Hey, why not. Two quilts done at the same time. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the Pineapples but the Improve quilt is Fantastic! Can't wait to see how you quilt it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to make a bunch of baby quilts and have lots of scraps but your quilts remind me how much better it is to make something interesting rather than fast. I’ve made that quilt that you used on the back and wish I’d put it there, too. Never enough fabric for a plain back and this is so interesting.
    You combined the U&U quilt with your unique flowers to make a gorgeous improv quilt. It amazed me how well all your parts came together. Especially since they didn’t seem to relate. Wonderful! Glad you’re working on it now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course I LOVE the Pineapples quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pineapples are one of my favorites so of course I love yours! So fun to have two completely different vibes happening on each side of the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's so much to love about this original quilt, and its equally fabulous back! You really make a great case for hand quilting - it just adds so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the scrappy pineapples! It turned out beautifully, both sides. The hill quilting is perfect for it. I think the little quirks about a quilt that mostly the maker notices make it all the more charming. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not a lot going on? It doesn't seem like it. I like how you used one quilt on the back and one on the top - it's a cool idea and works really well. Like you, I don't mind hand quilting something with lots of seams - it's never as bad as you might think.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it so much. Have a beautiful day.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful finish and what an idea to have another quilt as a backing. You are making such wonderful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thinking of you and praying all is well. Are you all safe from the fires? Miss seeing what you are creating and your posts. Blessings, mbbaker35@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.