Monday, December 7, 2020

A Surge of Productivity

So nice to finally have Dried Flowers completely finished! This one was started in July of 2018 and has always felt like a sweet little gem of a quilt. I love when a quilt starts out with a whisper and then gradually morphs into something so much greater than the initial seed of inspiration!

Dried Flowers is completed!

This one originated from a thorough deep-dive through the orphan totes one day when the lure of working with cut-out-from-the-backs-of-other-applique seemed especially enticing. At that moment, all I really wanted was something quick and easy to start stitching on.

Looking across the quilt

Once in awhile I don't bother to draft out a full quilt idea and just plunge straight into the making of blocks. For this one, I first layered the circles and then later, decided what to do with the flower 'body'. The colors to this quilt were chosen on the fly, all very much based on those original circles and what might emphasize them to the greatest degree.

The full effect

After that, the whole quilt just sort of fell into place piece by piece as was needed to properly move on.  The strings were decided on because I love cutting/sewing improv. strings and I felt they would be a good relief block to the formality of the flowers. It also gave me opportunity to further play with some old, tired fabrics, something that {surprisingly} continues to be of interest to me even still today. The decision to make the applique rows pointed instead of just chopping them off at the same width as the rest of the quilt was partly a coping strategy and partly true serendipity! How could I ever have imagined the totality of this quilt in my head before starting to see the pieces emerge right in front of me?

Why don't I applique interesting leaves
more often?

I personally adore the stringy improv. blocks alternating with the sweet pea look to the flower blocks. It comes together as very quiet and soothing looking, with pops of what I like to call  pure deliciousness! Add in the hand quilting and the texture jumped up to a whole 'nother level. Love it!

Can't get enough of these flowers...

In case you had any doubts whatsoever, I am seriously thrilled with the end result of Dried Flowers. It feels like a good me quilt and I'm so very glad for impulsively deciding to start stitching those circles together on that day!

Hoping it looks sweet and girly enough!

In a spontaneous surge of productiveness, I also cut out, sewed and machine quilted a basic looking quilt for the brand new great-niece. Honestly, I was scared to wait until later in December as it might never get finished! The Fons & Porter 60 degree pyramid triangle has been lurking in my drawer for years and this seemed like a great way to test it out. I have had ideas for making another quilt with that same ruler but somehow never have managed to make the first cut.

Lovely to use up some of these fabrics

This entire quilt would have looked loads better if I had taken the time to cut smaller triangles for just a few of those solid triangles. {Hanging my head with chagrin just a tiny little bit.} Wouldn't it have given it lovely depth? Alas, this was one of those quilts where the saying 'done is better than perfect' kept looping through my brain. Best to whip it out and get it gifted. Expending too much of my precious creative time on something that only has to look 'cute and girly' doesn't sound like a real winner in the long run. I have important quilts to work on!*wink

Baby quilt for the new niece

Did you see the periwinkle fabric that I ended up including in the baby quilt just because? It's been hanging out in the stash totes for a million years and never, ever plays nicely with any other fabrics.  And you know me, just because I was in a tearing hurry doesn't mean there's not sufficient time for a wee little personal challenge...

Quarter Triangles quilt

And here you go for those that keep track, the 'Next Up In The Hoop' quilt is this Christmassy Quarter Triangles one. I totally forgot to take a picture of it until the top was sandwiched and pinned, about to be folded up in the quilt bag. The top was finished up in January of this year after I went on a Christmas quilt top sewing binge. This particular quilt top was also a So-Tired green fabrics challenge to myself. Lots of oldie moldies got whacked up and included in the mix for this particular making! The other quilt top is prettier, but this is the one that felt perfect for sliding into the hoop and burning through for a quick finish. Yes, I could definitely have tried to machine quilt this quilt without ruining anything about it, even with my paltry skills. The thing is, I need uncomplicated right now for the hoop business. Pick it up, settle into stitching and not THINK. Sounds like my happy place right about now!


23 comments:

  1. Happy that you like your "Dried Flowers" top--that is always a big bonus when you finish and say "Yes, I got it right on this one!"

    That has not been happening to me lately--I am ending up making lots of parts and then putting them in my drawer (now hard to shut!!--)Perhaps when I eventually open it up they will all have magically morphed into things I can use and that I really love...
    Hugs from far away places, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, this "dried Flowers " is one of my favorites of yours. Once it was together I felt the sassing and those appliqué rows looked like a picket garden fence. Fabulous finish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Dried Flowers - the pointed ends on the sashing look really good, I don't know why I never thought of that and others haven't either - you never see it - but it looks perfect for it. Everything about this one says yes it is right

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Dried Flowers is wonderful!! And yes, the pointed ends of the crosswise stips really makes this quilt. Could you explain why you quilt on the inside of the shapes....seems harder with more seam allowance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this quilt. It reminds me of the wonderful paintings of Carl Larsson. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dried Flowers, Mixing strings with applique, how perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely finish. It really came together well. It always feels good to complete a quilt but I can tell this particular one really filled your cup. What a nice bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your 'dried flowers', with it's pretty colour combo and lots of yummy hand quilting! The improv string sections provide a quiet backdrop, very effective Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Dried Flowers" is a winner, I love everything about it, but possibly most of all those horizontal "picket fence" sashings. The new baby quilt glows with your color choices. Triangle quilts are so much fun to make and easy to quilt. Planning another one for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Dried Flowers -it is absolutely SO you. Beautiful. And the one to go into the hoop is another one I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dried Flowers makes a beautiful bouquet. The string blocks between seems like a unobstructed path through the garden. Uncomplicated and simple doesn't mean your cheating. Maybe it's like cleansing your palate before you start on the next creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a bunch of lovely progress! Easy is good, simple is good, get it done and enjoy the quiet time doing so is good. (personally I would not spend a lot of time on a baby quilt, they get washed so often the ones I made wore out in a year, and I had to replace them!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love the organic flow of your quilts. They always are peaceful yet energetic at the same time! I so admire you hand quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just realized I didn't leave my email for your reply.... dk.koch2.75@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Luv, luv, luv Dried Flowers! You have absolutely nailed it. Very traditional yet funky - almost has a folk art feel to it - and those colours couldn't be any more perfect. So happy you're happy. And two other quilts as well - you are a busy gal!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent finish! The hand quilting really sets everything off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dried Flowers is such a lovely quilt! There are so many wonderful details to enjoy In it. I love the dark big stitch quilting on the leaves - such marvellous texture from handquilting. A sweet girlie quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dried Flowers is truly beautiful...great great great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So much fun here! I love your projects and process story,
    And fabulous hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The flower quilt iswonderful, a perfect piece¬

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations to your beautiful finished quilts. Dried flowers is stunning, such a pretty project.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so creative! I'm always amazed at what you create.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.