Sunday, October 18, 2015

A Little Spark of Inspiration

10/23/15 Update: My quilt came home with this third place ribbon. So exciting!!
Third Place in the Modern Category
I know you're all getting tired of this quilt, but today was pretty incredible. My mom, a good friend and I traveled over to the Washington State Quilters 37th Annual Quilt Show in Spokane, Washington where I got to see one of my quilts hanging. Along with hundreds of other really great and wonderful quilts.
In another quilt show
I'm still blown away. The very first time I went to this particular quilt show I went around and mentally said 'I can never make anything this good. I will never have the skills to sew something like this.' And on and on and on, as you can only imagine a beginning quilter feeling the delight of seeing so many beautiful quilts mixed with despair at how very much there was to learn.
Seeing it through my eyes today....
And today I got to see one of my quilts hanging in that same space. {Okay. You got the message.} It was so much fun to see people standing in front of my quilt, silently reading, sometimes chatting, little kids taking pics with their cell phones. Just taking it in. Or not. I saw people glance at it and walk right on by too.
The spark that started this quilt on it's long, often difficult journey
My friend asked me how I got the courage to put a quilt into this particular show. Hmm... That's a long story. More important is how I got the mental fortitude to make this particular quilt. Well, that's because I really, really didn't know what I was setting myself up for. Or how long it would take and that the idea was too compelling to ever totally quit so I didn't really have a choice anyway?
We never really know what playtime can yield...
Funny how ideas can explode into something larger than our imagination. Did you get to go to the show too? Amazing where life can take us. Thank you Spokane for letting me have a small bit of space in your show! Vive La Difference!

Linking up with Quilty Inspiration #4.






21 comments:

  1. I was gobsmacked to see your quilt in someone's Facebook feed as something she saw at the show that really struck her. I wasn't surprised the quilt had an impact, but just totally not expecting to see it on FB! Glad you entered it in another show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please keep telling us this quilt's story. It's been amazing to get to watch it from the very beginning. So, so glad about it being in Spokane. I'm at the place you were at as a beginner years ago, and your quilts are the ones I'm amazed at, especially this one because of it's emotional impact. sarah@forrussia.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey, so nice to see your special quilt finally get the recognition it really deserves. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. felicidades !!
    tu edredón se merece estar en un lugar privilegiado
    buena semana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never get tired of your story, Beautifully done quilt, speaks volumns!!! Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool! And they were awesome enough to want it and you were awesome enough to say yes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cool - glad you got to see your quilt hanging in the show!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilt and I can see from the photo it must have been very compelling image to get you started! Some quilts just take a really long time to ferment/ gestate etc. Good for you for sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspiration can be very bossy sometimes. Glad you listened to her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not tired of it at all. A very special quilt, with lots of meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nope, not tired of your quilt! Congratulations on making it into a show you only dreamed about years ago. And congratulations of making such a powerful quilt. I know it was a challenge for you, and you were up to it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. how rewarding to see your quilt - it is such a special piece - I never tire of seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had the opportunity to see your quilt hanging in the show and that many others got to admire it too. Your quilt's story and journey continues.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful folk art history quilt. The inspiration photo is shocking and chilling, and those feelings are so well expressed in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulation, looks like it made a mark on,people, it is a sad but great story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. BRAVO! So glad that you put it into the show and that folks are appreciative of all of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good for you to enter it into another show, Audrey. I'm glad so many appreciated it and took the time to look closely. There's so much detail to see.

    Thank you for linking to Quilty Inspiration this week. When I think about inspiration for quilts I don't usually thing about events in one's life but really, what could be stronger inspiration than that, especially when the event pulls at so many emotions?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have many beautiful quilts to look at here. I will stop back more often to see what you are doing in your full quilting life and also for inspiration. Robin Hawkins www.heresmyhart.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! I'm so happy you decided to enter. Every time I look at this quilt I wonder where will it will be in 100 years and who will see it and what they will say, what will they remember from the stories they have been told of 2014? It is a powerful piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too am happy to keep seeing this. Congratulations on making it into the show - so nice to have this properly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.