Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Flowers and Flying Geese Gets a Border

Too much time doing book work today. Sometimes it seems so unfair that I can't quilt all the time like I really want too. lol
Flowers and Flying Geese
I've been looking at my Flowers and Flying Geese quilt lately (the quilt I started 4th of July weekend), wondering what needs to happen next. I'm a firm believer in letting a quilt talk to me and express an opinion. Does that sound alarming or what? Anyway, there was plenty of red triangles leftover so I thought it would be great if I could include them in the quilt somewhere. Turns out they make a very nice framed border for the applique piece!
Looking a little closer
I dithered about and then finally settled on just sewing them onto the rest of the quilt and then chopping off the extra. Nothing about this quilt is perfect, so why try and pretend otherwise? I'm really happy with the way it's turned out, but now I'm leaning heavily towards adding a couple more borders. Yes I do love adding those borders onto my quilts! Oh well, you've probably figured out by now that I'm not scared of those tricky Medallion quilts. They seem to work well with the way my brain is wired...

16 comments:

  1. Love the border, and Gwen would be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you have used up the leftover red triangles and in true 'Gwen M' fashion chopped off what was not needed!
    I am making a mini quilt for a Kris Kringle swap and have used a leftover block as part of the backing....I thought why waste a sample block, it would have become an orphan lost in my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers and geese look wonderful and now I'm looking forward to seeing what you choose for your next border. My quilts talk to me too, and my fabrics, it's a noisy sewing room at times :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok I just love that border! yup adds a lot to the quilt in mho!
    of course the bird just makes me smile
    I love birds on quilts
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so pretty...bordering it with the triangles was a perfect idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I like that border a lot too. It "fits" perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have become such a fan of medallion quilts and yours is fabulous! Is there a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that one a lot! The border is perfect and more would look great too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The perfect FIRST border for the Flowers and Flying Geese quilt... yep! I'm with you... adding more borders would be the direction I would go as well. Can't wait to see where your creativity goes with this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! I love it! I like your red triangles for the border. Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is looking wonderful. Looks like letting the quilt tell you what to to do is working a treat. (And yes my quilts speak to me all the time )

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful quilt, love that border and your work method! And who wants perfection..... I find it rather boring....

    ReplyDelete
  13. very fun and free! can't wait to see what you do next -

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is not a quilt..it is a beautiful piece of art..whoever ends up owning it will be very lucky..I for one am drooling

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very good prim design. It is coming together oh so well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.