Sunday, July 1, 2012

Hand Stitching on Sunday's and Every Other Day of the Week Too

I am not quite to that point where it feels like good progress is being made every single time I quilt.  Close, but I can tell it will be another frame or two of very slow-go.
Getting a little more done...
 I was hand quilting late the other night while one of my daughters was visiting with me.  It was one of those conversations that it's really better for the teenager to bring up first so I was trying to be very casual about it. You know what I mean.  Then after awhile I realized I was being very casual about my stitching at the same time.  Oh well.  At this stage of my life my children are way more important than my quilting.  lol  I suppose they always will be!
I like the way the stitching shows up on this backing
I usually sew together a couple pieces of printed fabrics for the backing so this 'almost solid' fabric used as backing is something I have had little experience with.  I really like how the quilting pattern shows up, but at the same time I'm extremely critical aware of my random BIG stitches and other imperfections.  (Refer to the previous paragraph if you wonder how much sleep I'm going to lose over this.*wink)
My stack of 1/2 square triangles blocks 
I'm not sure how many blocks I ripped apart this week, but I have a pretty good stack of these little half square triangles now.  They need to be ironed and I'm wondering if I ever even squared them up?  Maybe not.  I don't always.  I slapped several up on the design wall while my mother-in-law was taking a nap and considered my options.  Hmmm, I'm thinking something vertical.  And the more I think about it, I like the idea of of a primitive look with the flying geese and not even square them up at all.  Then I could add in a little applique somewhere and hmmmm... yeah, this could be a fun project!
Testing, testing, testing....
I'm linking up to Kathy's Quilts again for her 'Hand Stitching on Sundays' link-up.  Hand work may feel like it takes forever to get anything accomplished, but the rewards are awesome!  (That's an 80's term I use mostly because it embarrasses my kids.....)

7 comments:

  1. Love the look of your hand quilting on the back. So funny that you tried to quilt you way through that conversation. Great colors on your geese, they seem to be flying just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the hand quilting looks terrific, and you are right, it will be worth it in the end! I can't wait to see what happens to the hst's. Sounds like you've got some good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are removing lots of pins, so that must mean you're moving right along! Hand quilting is the perfect activity for enduring and/or surviving mother-daughter chats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy your blog! It is very entertaining. Your hand-quilting looks great. Keep up the good work!
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though sometimes it feels like it takes forever, I love hand quilting as well. Your stitches look just fine to me! I am almost finished a quilt that I am doing with Baptist Fans and I am getting very excited - so close to a finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hand quilting, just the perfect thing to help de-stress you after family life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need to start hand quilting - I can see lots of these Mother/daughter chats in the coming months!
    I am liking the flying geese, can't wait to see what you decide for them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.