Saturday, March 24, 2018

The Vintage Lily Quilt is Coming Right Along.....

I've been pretty dedicated to making serious progress on the Vintage Lily quilt this week. For starters, there was eons of trimming to do.*uggh
Too much trimming
Crossing my fingers that I will never try to do it all at once again. That just doesn't work for me anymore {wrist & finger cramps, blurry/bored vision from entering zombie state of mind, abdomen soreness from letting the mat get too far away from me.. etc., etc.} There are 233 blocks after all. What was I thinking?

At first I attempted to iron all the corner pieces to the dark side. Nope. Way too much trouble. It's not like the seams have to match up anyway. So, after all the blocks were neatly trimmed, ironed and ready to go, then it was time for the sewing. Aha! The best part of that endless trimming marathon? No pinning required!
Sewing the rows
I don't have a large enough design wall, so there was lots of pre-sorting involved in an effort to get that 'random, but balanced' look. My daughter and husband both scoffed at that wordage. They said it's not possible to have both random and balanced at the same time. I really just thought they should go find something else to do and leave me to my seriously concentrated, I'm-head-down-and-getting things-done playtime.
Trying to figure out the centerpiece
After seeing some of the snowballs up on the wall, then it was easier to determine the size for the centerpiece and how it needed to be framed. I actually think the white border area is a little too large proportion-wise, but I definitely like this appliqued sawtooth border I ended up with. It blends very well with the appliqued look of the lillies and looks a little old fashioned. Plus, the top/bottom borders are 20" and the sides are 25". Lots easier to 'fudge' measurements in applique work than it is with piecing and 5" repeats {the obvious common denominator} didn't do it for me here.
And maybe add a little applique?
Of course I just had to throw some little circles up on the sawtooth borders to see if it made a difference. Oh yeah. Just can't help myself. Now I have 22 little circles to stitch down before I can sew this thing together. And maybe a couple snowball blocks to switch out too. Not that you can see those problem areas from these pictures, but you know how it is. Scrappy starts looking a little odd when the same exact fabrics end up residing side by side...

23 comments:

  1. This project is going well. Love the sawtooth around the lily. Warm greetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those borders around the lily block...very nice hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors and your signature style - just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you can have random and balanced at the same time - they just do not quite have the mind of a quilter I guess :) looking at your design space just makes me so happy though that I have my wall and so grateful to have it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get the concept of balanced and random together -- other people look at me strangely when I try to explain it here so you are NOT alone on this one! And yes, those little circles do make a BIG difference (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kept thinking, "Yup, yup," through the whole post. I do the same with hoping it looks like I threw it all together, but nothing looks out of place. And I absolutely agree with you on the circles/dots. They need to be there. What's one or two more evenings of sewing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The design wall looks wonderful and I like what you're doing on the cornerstones, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can you trim that much and still be able to stand up straight?--I know I posted before, but got to thinking about your trimming...it really hurts my shoulderswhen i do it all at once, so I totally get it...take care hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's an energetic quilt. There's always a good story behind your quilts. Trimming is never fun. I made a Lady of the Lake quilt and had to trim down all those hst. I only trimmed about 20 at a time, it took weeks. The little dots really add a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Random but balanced... LOL
    Thanks for the smile today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dots and circles look great, I'd leave them. Do you usually press all seams towards the darker fabric? I have heard to always do it, and also that it is not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a happy, playful, even boisterous? quilt. Classic yet folkloric. I love so many things about it...the lilies on that cool numbers text fabric, in BLACK. The sawtooths and new little dots, the ''random'' snowballs...and how they all go together. And you don't mention it but for some reason I am charmed by that solitary concentric squares block in the upper left of the main section. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh : lizzy at gone to the beach lizzzz.d@gmail.com

      Delete
  13. looking great - fun color scheme

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't random and balanced, sort of like controlled scrappy?!
    I'm not a fan of trimming tons of blocks at once either!! My hand and wrist get too sore.
    The quilt is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We all understand the random/balance concept. I like the addition of the sawtooth border and the little circles add one more element of visual interest. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As soon as I saw those circles on the sawtooth border, I said to myself,"She's put her signature on it now for sure!" I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think most of us understand the "random-balance" thing! I had a big smile when I saw those little circles on the sawtooth border. Yup, now it is Audrey's! I love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What great borders. The white one may seem a bit large but will shrink when sewn plus it provides a wonderful breather from the other areas. And you could use some heavy colored thread or even more applique. Another beauty in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing your process, I go through the same thing!
    And I understand about going on a trimming/work binge. My back
    gives me serious pain now if I don't take breaks.
    Your design is beautiful and looks great, lots of applauding here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks again for your thought process sharing. I love every quilt you are making! Those circles are popping up to wave from the red sawtooth points, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how this quilt is coming along; the circles are the perfect addition!

    Re: "Random and balanced" Wouldn't that be zeugmatic word usage?
    You're better off looking it up than me trying to (incorrectly no doubt!) explain it LOL. But zeugma or not, I think most quilters understand perfectly what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this...u r right how hard it is to balance borders with the medallion....mine need to stew awhile on the design wall...this on is really nice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.