Saturday, January 7, 2017

Moving Things Forward

I am always uncertain about committing to any QAL involving finish-it-up goals. Frankly, it sort of panics me, which sounds very odd as I actually do finish things occasionally! But... Meredithe is a great friend and her '17 in 2017' sounds very no pressure. Thanks to Kyle I had access to a nifty little pdf and so now, after much pondering, here is the list.
17 in 2017 QAL
After perusing the other links, I noticed everyone has their own way of listing the projects.  Mine is simple: #1-11 are quilt projects still currently ongoing. The only really dusty one is 'Shattered', and I totally credit Meredithe for helping me dig that one out. #12-17 are completed quilt tops that hopefully will become a full fledged quilt sometime this year. Along with others of course, but I can't know exactly which quilt tops I'm in the mood to get started quilting. This leaves me lots of wiggle room!
Vintage Coxcombs
In the meantime, I've been trying to be very disciplined about not starting a new quilt project just yet. Tho I am itching, itching, itching to do just that! My tentative plan is to get three of my eleven ongoing projects to the completed quilt top stage before allowing my greedy self to jump into something new and shiny. Lots of applique work here, so I need to get cracking!

The quilt above, 'Vintage Coxcombs' includes 20 blocks. {Because I am insane and don't know when to stop.} Most of the background blocks are sewn together in similar, but different looking fabrics, pieced together as the leftover bits dictate. Since I mostly buy fatquarters, getting 20 similar background blocks can be complicated at times, but I love the look of this way versus made up of all of one fabric.

After I complete appliqueing the coxcombs to the oval shape {done!}, then next up is the possible star background. I'm going to do a test block to see if the triangles are large enough and proportions work out properly. This is the part I hate--thinking the triangles look perfect as is which would means re-cutting and adding the seam allowance once again. And yes, I've already cut out ALL of the triangles for 20 blocks.*sigh Thus the test block. I've been fooled once before.
Chunky Crossroads
Don't judge me by my crinkly looking applique, It's all coming along rather nicely! Two borders out of four down with two to go on the Chunky Crossroads improv. quilt. I ended up adding the fat looking flower buds as it just looked too barren without. I'm still a little {okay, a lot} waffle-y about whether the quilt sincerely needs the applique borders or I'm just indulging myself. Ahh... Self doubt. Always there to rain on our parade.... Too, I get kind of jumpy after sewing the same exact thing for hours on end and usually make myself a bargain or two just to keep going. It helps to have perspective and not let sheer tedium come up with our answers!

After completely two borders, then I gave myself permission to go straight to work on the 'Gather Ye Rosebuds' quilt which includes the  Big Tumbler Basket and a whole bunch of smaller baskets. It's going to be an asymmetrical quilt with a vine running down the left side and across the bottom before connecting with the text block on the right side. I'm trying to do as much applique as possible before joining it to the larger basket and thus making a big 'ol awkward mess to do my stitching on. Lots of work to do here, but then I'll probably jump back to the Vintage Coxcombs test block before yes, you guessed it! finally diving back into the Chunky Crossroads borders once again. I really do like to mix things up and having smaller goals helps keep me on track for feel-good finishes along the way. Hey, whatever works!
Gather Ye Rosebuds
And of course, there's always a quilt in the hoop around here. The middle portion of this quilt is finally done and next I'm going to be starting in on the outside two borders. Last night I marked off a simple grid pattern and with stitching one or two frames an evening, this could be done by the end of January!
Geese Tracks & Black Shadow Applique
I put this particular quilt off for a long time as I just wasn't 'feeling' it. And honestly, it took getting the entire geese-tracks/applique section getting stitched and finally working of the basket quilting before I finally settled in and started loving it again. So funny. I've always appreciated this quilt, enjoyed working on it so much and then when it's time, I can't feel the love while starting to quilt it.

But that's the way quilting works with me. I often have to reconnect. Just the steady stitch, stitch, stitch, hearing the needle slide in and out, staring down at the quilt, remembering the whys and wherefores. It all works to remind me of what's so great about quilting. This quilt? I'm the one making it, but it has a few fabrics from my grandma who was a quilter too. Just another in a long line of 'makers' allowing the work of quilting to quiet and soothe our {often} worried and troubled minds. I can tell--this quilt's gonna be a keeper...

25 comments:

  1. Good luck Audrey for the 2017 challenge! I too like to use a range of 'similar but different backgrounds' as it's difficult to commit to metres of the same fabric and I think it makes the quilt more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you joined this too! :) Kyle's post is the one that influenced me to do so, and now it has me trying to get organized and focused / I started too much stuff last year and want to whittle it down :) Audrey what you manage to do / make / accomplish in any given year always blows me away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you well with your 2017 goals. I do the same thing - switch back and forth between projects to keep the momentum going and the tedium at a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "Gather ye rosebuds" caught my eye. You have the best ideas and way with words for your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just getting caught up on my blog reading and WOW did I miss a lot here! you've been busy as usual and your finishes are fantastic. I love hearing about your process and what you consider during the making of a quilt. For me, finishing is the best part, so I don't really have a ton of UFO's, yet I find the unique approaches to progress interesting. Thanks for another amazing year of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your goals! I tend to jump from one thing to another too, but it's all down on "the list" and it feels so good when you can actually cross something off! Love your idea of different but similar backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are very organised re your 17 goals, I am oretty goo at comoleting to the flimsy stage but then they go on hold, though have taken to and they are now ready to quilt. Siad no BOM`s this year as they distract me but that did not last long! Best of luck. Liking the background ideas I struggle when it comes to backgropunds especially of BOM`s as never know how much to get your way it is no problem

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still unsure if I list 17 projects, with to much pressure I stop. But I like the idea of working on several projects for some time so that at the end of the year I really see some progres. I like the quilt in the hoop. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with this list - I can't imagine having 17 projects on the go at once, but love watching you juggle all yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely Yes to applique borders on Chunky Crossroads! Without borders the top says "Sujata" but with the borders it's definitely an Audrey. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your enjoy your 2017 projects! Looks like you had a very prolific 2016, I'm sure 2017 will have equally beautiful projects.
    Enjoy every stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Geese Tracks quilt has always been a favorite of mine. I have enjoyed reading about your process as you moved this quilt along in the queue. Glad it's back and you are loving it again, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm looking forward to your descriptions of your process as you work on these 17 projects! And for whatever other projects you start/push along. 8)
    I love the way you grow your quilts. Please carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the coxcombs and hope your triangles work out without recutting. Are you butting them against the circles? (As an inexperienced appliquer, I would have put them down first then sewed the circles on top.) Does your method make it easier to get the points inside the circle accurate?
    Good luck moving through your list. Agreed. Let's get our old tops done and dusted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best of luck with your list--I am working on my first goal--finish my grandson's "Going Away To College" quilt...I love your border appliques-
    and all your projects, really ;))) hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  16. Progress is the key word. You've got so many wonderful projects for you to have FUN every single day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the geese tracks quilt !! have fun making your way through the list - totally get the finish it panic - I totally failed at 2 or 3 years of these so I've just put a handful of projects on my list this year !

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember a cute Red Riding Hood quilt that you made. Did that get finished or has it been in storage like cheese, it's not ready yet? I loved those blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some great projects on your list!
    Here is mine
    https://chasingstories.wordpress.com/2017/01/03/the-finishing-list/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I am going to have so much fun watching you cross quilts off your list! So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good for you for committing to the list. I couldn't bring myself to do it (maybe after I've retired!) but I have a list running around in my head. Maybe I should at least get that down on paper before new projects take over!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous list of quilts! Thank you so much for joining in - knew I could twist your arm eventually!! Sooooo looking forward to seeing how these progress - and of course, all the new ones you might? may? start!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the Chunky Crossroad' borders, so lovely, can't wait to see its progress. Good luck finishing your projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry, I am doing a catch up on your blog....That is a big list you have going, I don't think I could stick to such a list. I love your applique for your Chunky Crossroads..looking good.
    I noticed in your comments that Meredithe follows you, I have meet her at some of the quilt shops, she is a lovely lady. It's a small world as Meredithe & your other Aussie follower, Carole (Wheels on the Warrandyte Bus) we all live within a 45 min drive from each other, but I don't personally 'know' them. Funny to think we all follow you, all the way from Australia.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.