Wednesday, December 28, 2016

My AHIQ Make-Fabric Geese

So this 28'x 28' scrappy piece has resurfaced after about a two year nap. I've almost tossed it a time or two and then reconsidered. Nah... There's just something about it that makes me wonder.
Make-Fabric Centerpiece
Wonder if it could be the start to something a lot more interesting. The entire thing is made up of 4" make-fabric {or crumb} blocks straight from the scrap bin. I like that. In the past month I pulled it out where it could be seen and have been letting it sort of simmer in my mind. And that's how I came to the idea of making a whole bunch of make-fabric flying geese {yep, I'm the crazy lady}. Creating wide rows of them in different colors. Possibly have them going in different directions vertically for lots of energy. I'm still contemplating, but need something I can put my hands on for auditioning purposes!
Adding potential flying geese rows
For now I'm working with the red scraps, but next up will be blue, brown/black and then probably some spots of orange too. I'm just sewing bits and pieces together, ironing the tar out of them and then using a template to cut my triangles. To make the rows as neat as possible, I won't be making the end pieces of the geese out of scraps. Very tempting, but I think the rows will look better if there's a straight of the grain somewhere in sight!
Make-fabric flying geese units
So here's my start, about 1/10th of what my math tells me is needed. And I really enjoy sewing bits of the scraps together and watching that new piece of fabric emerge. Then when it all comes together, there's the surprise of how it fits together as a whole. Very unpredictable, ofttimes a bit challenging, but still, so interesting! Will it work? Can it work? All we can do is try or there's really no way to know.

These are the scraps from good things, projects of the past. It becomes glaringly obvious to me when I work this way that working from the scrap bin feels a bit more freeing. I have zero anxiety about the outcome because, hello! I'm not about to {potentially} waste any 'good' fabric.*sigh  Which could definitely be a crutch that stops me from making good things from the stash. Got to watch that! In the meantime, it's fun to charge off in pursuit of yet another AHIQ idea! Linking up with Kaja and Ann for their great monthly linkup....

23 comments:

  1. I'm loving the look of this project so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely looking very interesting! Love your idea here of making new fabric from scraps for the flying geese, lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at that first photo, and my immediate thought was 'wow, what a great background for applique!' 8)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gayle and I had similar ideas. Have you considered making the red square a container and letting flowers grow from it? Or possible adding an eagle, swag, or floral arc underneath it?
    I know you'll make something fabulous. I'm just thrilled I thought of some applique.
    From the Piecing Queen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just keep going I know it will be a wonderful quilt in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making fabric is one of my favourite things about quilting and you are just acing it with this quilt - LOVE where this is going and am anxiously awaiting the next steps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To me your "centerpiece" looks complete as is. There is a feeling of depth, like entering the red room. The most interesting thing is the gold sliver down the edge. It is so unexpected but I can't ignore it. It makes the whole piece off balance a little, which is great. The geese themselves are special, looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like the start of a wonderful medallion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go for it, Audrey! I like your central piece a lot and am glad you are not jettisoning it, but I think you are really onto something here. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like the beginning of a great quilt. I love to see how quilt grow. Many greetings and Happy and healthy new year

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this project, the center has a great feel to it and I look forward to watching the quilt grow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always enjoy the process of seeing your beautiful quilts evolve! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the geesee with the quilt, glad you did not throw it away

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like that center ; reminds me of a modern art painting. Keep playing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love those stripy flying geese designs, so this looks very promising to me. I like that crumb block too. It has so much depth! Another great start. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and can't believe it's two years already...

      Delete
  16. I really like where you're going with this. Lots of depth, lots of movement. But . . . could you do me a favor and include a bit of orange in the geese also? Just a tiny crumb or 2 to connect that inside piece. Thanks ever so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scraps are very freeing! But it's not just the fear of no waste. I think it's also their ready-ness?! You don't have to think 'how will I cut this?' You just take the shape and use it! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great ideas, you're having fun here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. All those bits and pieces are starting to come together. I like the look!

    ReplyDelete
  20. looks neat so far - happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  21. Me? I love the ecru border. It is so wonderful. Your work makes my heart sing, and is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Keep making fabric! It is fun and addictive, isn't it? I, too, like that starter block very much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.