Tuesday, October 3, 2023

It's All About The Process

Lots of applique prep going on this week! It takes an enormous amount of time, but now there's several projects all ready for stitching attention. This is the first awkward tulip {out of three} in the Good Vibes quilt. The stem, underneath circle and one side of the petals are stitched onto this one, still have to stitch the other petal and both leaves.

A little more stitching...
I'll need to stitch the rest of the circles onto their background blocks and then the quilt will probably take shape very quickly after that. Applique is sooo slow and then the quilt top often comes together lickety-split! 

Getting closer to a real finish every day!
I have another quilt with the hand quilting finished up. First phase of the binding is done, just waiting for time to hand stitch it down. Feeling very antsy as there isn't another quilt ready to put into the hoop just yet. I'm having to soak some of the backing fabric so as to ensure that it doesn't bleed all over the front some day in the future.

Just felt like it needed something more...
Tatterdemalion was at the stage of being a completed top when I decided that it probably needed a skootch more applique.*sigh  Why oh why does this always happen to me?

The layout I like best
I found a piece of fabric that really resonated with me {such perfect colors for this quilt!} and decided to echo the shape of the flower over the top of the vase. Uh oh! It wasn't doing quite what I needed it to do, so then I had to hunt for a piece of fabric to go underneath and hopefully help 'pop' the whole motif. Which it does, wonderfully. Yay for progress. 

Playing with layout
I played with a couple of layouts and finally decided on the flower motifs in the corners of the quilt. All going the same direction or some horizontal and some vertical? It was a lot of fun looking and weighing subtleties. I'm sure there are many of you who would rather see them anywhere else but on this quilt! Oh well. It's so interesting when personalities come into play with quilting.

Ready for the hand stitching
Had to start a brand new quilt even though I had promised myself that a quilt top had to be finished up first. Tatterdemalion is sooooo close though! So this one is called 'Worthy'. A little bit of applique to start things out and then it will be all improv. piecing. I think. That's the plan for now, but we'll see. 

On a different note altogether.... I'm also thinking seriously about starting a new, 3-part series with mixed applique, piecing and a little bit of the medallion look too. I have three stacks of very similar looking fabrics in brown, rosy reds, greens and creams. Oldy moldy stuff from years ago, but still, all good, lovely fabrics. The series would play off the similarities and differences of each successive quilt as it takes shape. And bonus! Give a reason to want to play with fabrics/colors that feel a bit tired and stale. Ughh. You know how difficult these fabrics can be when there is always luscious, brand new fabrics calling our name?

The tentative plan is to make it a very loose, casual QAL with simple guidance for anyone wanting to follow along. And I do mean very loose and casual. Like for instance, I will not be telling you exactly how much fabric is needed beforehand. How could I possibly know when I'm making the quilt up as things go along? When I do get things nailed down, then of course I will do my very best to relay that information. Applique shapes would be given in the form of a pdf after personal request in the comments or through my email. The whole project would presumably take a year or two as of course I'll be working on other quilts at the same time. Did you honestly think that I'd just focus on one quilt at a time? The horror!

All of the pertinent posts can {and will} be listed together at the top of my blog in the pages section so that people can take their time and move through the series at their own pace. Any likely takers? Don't feel that you have to respond yes or no, I'm almost definitely doing this regardless of interest, contrary person that I am! Blog reading has fallen way off in the past couple years and I'm super erratic at posting these days which doesn't help. Ha! Maybe this is too ambitious, but it's been something I've been thinking about doing for several years now and the idea just finally came together and clicked. It would be a great way for those of you who want to learn more about how/why/what it takes to work with older fabrics and maybe get the creative process moving and grooving--the Quilty Folk way. Often there is no big, bright lightbulb moments just getting down and DOING it. Changing up a couple elements and playing. Might as well jump on this and see where things end up!


 

35 comments:

  1. Hi Audrey! I have been a faithful blog reader though I don't comment often. (It seems difficult to comment on some blogs.) You always have fabulous quilts on the go! You can count me in on the QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes - an Audrey QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please a QAL. Been reading your blog for a few years. And used the information you had posted on making a fan quilting template on a quilt border last year - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First I love those three brown flowers marching along the bottom of Taterdamalian at the moment. That top is coming together amazingly fast. And of course I'll be interested in following along with your planned QAL if my eyesight improves enough to move a little faster than currently. It all sounds like a fun learning experience, and there are bins of aging fabric lurking around here awaiting their turn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would also be interested in the QAL as I have some older but loved fabrics that I could be inspired to put to use. I'm not often a commenter but have read your blog for at least a few years. Thank you for your inspiring your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m another lurker, always read the blog and wonder at your creativity. I would love a QAL to learn from you. Hi from New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the projects you are working on. And I would like to join your QAL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am potentially interested in the sew along. Loved your 365 circles sew along a few years ago. Gladi Porsche (gladiquilts.net)here - not anonymous! For some reason your site won’t currently accept my URL when I try to identify myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very interested in a QAL, but I am such a newbie quilter that I may only be reading instead of doing. I join the other commenters in saying that I read all of your posts and enjoy your blog very much. I think that of all the quilters that I follow, you make my favorite quilts. juliana_ellington at yahoo dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too! I’d love to try your approach. So different to mine and always fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My ears perk up at the mention of a quilt-along :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Long time reader. First time commenter. Yes(!) for the QAL. Would like to learn how to make all that lovely applique you do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also a long time reader and fan of your Quilty Folk style. Count me in as a QAL person.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! I would LOVE to be involved! Please count me in. I always find your posts to be inspirational, and have now shifted from freezer paper applique, to drawing a shape and cutting it out, and needle turning it. The first few were pretty poor, but I am improving, and it feels freeing. Can you tell how many people read your blog without leaving a comment? I am trying to leave more comments nowadays so you know how appreciated you are, Audrey .xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. From Quiltdivajulie - I do hope to play along with this lovely informal QAL. I will never be as wonderful at appliqué as you are, but I have worlds of skills to learn. THANK YOU for doing this! (and I really enjoyed this post!).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sew love your style and will definitely jump at the chance to join your QAL. Anytime I see a post form you, I can’t wait to see how things are developing :). Thanks for inviting us along!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in! Thanks, Audrey for thinking of us. I need some fun as I've been slogging away with UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I’d be interested in a QAL. I’m working on a scrap quilt at the moment and using up some ugly small scraps. However, I have some ugly yardage that I can’t bear to piece as a backing because I don’t see why I would want to ruin the quilt with an ugly backing. So somehow turning that yardage into a top that I’d like would be really great. I am a huge fan of your blog and quilting style. I’m still yet to hand quilt. I watched your tutorials but can’t seem to manage either a hoop or square and have resorted to just quilting small pieces on my lap. No thimble either as I can’t get comfortable with one. So, I’m persevering in my own way to hand quilt the scrap quilt in working on now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmmmm Sounds interesting. I always know your quilts before I even see your name!!!Q

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your Tatterdemallion more each time I see it! Read through your words on the idea of a QAL - pleased to read that it could last for a year or two - I think I should give this a go and tfry something new, perhaps a little out of my comfort zone, but that's good. I have lots of older fabric which I was going to have at a Guild sale, now I'll hang on to them and join your QAL, looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How fun! I would love to play along! Louise @Fasterlis on
    Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how your Tatterdemallion quilt is evolving!! I am definitely planning on joining the QAL!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ya sabe que yo soy una enamorada de sus trabajos y estaría interesada en el QAL
    elajuardebeatriz
    aldharabe@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would very much like to take part in your QAL. It would be a first QAL for me, as I don't usually have time to start something new when everyone else is ready to go, but this time the timing and approach sounds spot on! I've read you blog for years and really love your approach and style - although it will be very much outside my comfort zone. Very excited already!

    ReplyDelete
  25. First time poster also, but have been reading for awhile. Would love a challenge/QAL in your fun style. I especially love your color sense! Am up for a push in a more improvisational style. Sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would QAL. An Audrey style quilt is something I've aspired to for several years, but I find struggle with both relaxing enough to go with improv, and then with figuring out the next step when I have a pile of blocks that didn't have a concrete plan before I started.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tatterdemallion is looking great. I find the colour combination especially appealing and am thinking I might try to track down some shirts in similar colours. I love your idea for a long, slow QAL - it sounds like an excellent way to work and it would definitely be interesting to see you work in a series.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yes, please. How could I not say yes? You are such an inspiration. I have old and I have moldy in totes LOL, I'm just not as good at digging through them as you are. So this will give me the push I need. Many thanks Audrey. Your blog is always a joy!
    Rondi

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Audrey it’s a long time quilting blog friend Molly and I’d love to quilt a long with you at a slow pace! You are one of my all time favorite quilters and I am excited when I see you in my feedly when I remember to check it. Alas commenting is hard and for some reason I can’t sign into google anymore to link my old blog but I’m still around! I miss the old flicker days but still keep up with many of my quilting friends through Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Audrey, I would love to join you in a QAL. Will dig into some older fabrics that are waiting for their chance to shine!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Audrey, Julie just provided a link to this post from her blog. I'd like to join your QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just love your style and would enjoy following along for a loose QAL. I have been back at my sewing table and design wall lately and am rediscovering the peace I feel when I am making with fabric. Thanks for offering to take us along.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I recently found your blog and joined your QAL. I really like the appliqué word in this post --worthy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.