Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Connecting to Creativity

Well, that month went by in a screaming hurry! I ended up spending most all of August with my daughter in Oklahoma. Waiting for her to have her baby and then helping out afterward. So thankful to have the time and opportunity to make it all work out.

The sweet new grandbaby
Meet Miss. Gracelyn May! We just love her so very much. She's a little sweetie and definitely kept us all hopping for the first couple weeks. You know how some babies just take a little more time getting adjusted to the real world. Gotta get the mom and dad trained up properly! The picture below is with Ellie, another one of our {four} granddaughters. She was sooo fascinated with her new little cousin. We loved having her help too!

Lots of love from her older cousin!
Finally made it back home to my tired and grumpy husband. It's the longest I've been away for all of our married life, but he was totally on board with what I thought was needed. He actually survived fairly well and the house wasn't too terrible. Our youngest daughter had kept tabs on that. {If I could add heart emojis here, I would!} Still, I had mountains of laundry to do and some things that needed set to rights. Still do actually, but one thing at a time!

Probably won't be using the scrappy circles after all
I didn't get hardly any quilting done during the month of August {tiniest bit of hand quilting}, so you can only imagine my longing to dive right back into quilting. After a quick perusal of the quilting WIP's list, I decided what was needed most was something completely carefree. 

Working on the centerpiece
On impulse, I grabbed a bag of orphan blocks, bits and bobs that I had grouped together a couple months ago. The entire bag was thrown together based on color compatibility and not much else. Basically, I just started throwing things on the wall, moving things around until there was some good energy.

Top and bottom border sewn on, working on the sides
Then I started figuring out how to sew it together! First the middle improv. strips went together. Lots of partial piecing and trimming up in order for it to lay flat. Had to introduce one similar-look light tan fabric and then later, a couple darker prints in the border, but otherwise, this entire quilt top is strictly made out of orphaned parts and pieces!

This is the completed background centerpiece minus a 
thin piece of purple I'm gonna add up on the right corner
After the middle part of the quilt was sewn together, then I made an executive decision to trim it to straight. I waffled about that for all of ten minutes or so and then finally flipped the top over and bit the bullet. Why flip it over? Mostly so I didn't have to worry about what was being cut off! ha! Just couldn't face trying to sew the outside borders onto the quilt if I had to do too much easing and coaxing. 

Adding the applique bits that look interesting
Now I'm in a frenzy {a very slow, methodical frenzy} to add leftover applique bits and pieces to the center of the quilt. The whole process has felt amazing. I can't really adequately explain what this has meant to me! Very free spirited and fun just because of the loose, open ended determination for the outcome. It feels like it has woke up my sleeping creativity in just the right sort of way. Not sure what it's supposed to be or do or even end up looking like, but I'm totally okay with that. How about that? We're all good over here in this corner of the quilt world after all!  Maybe by next week I'll have my head above water enough to finally go check out all the blogs I've been neglecting....


11 comments:

  1. Audrey ¡¡Felicidades!! es tan maravilloso tener un nuevo bebé en casa, disfruta de tus nietos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on the new baby - some babies think day is night and night is day for sometime and it takes awhile to get into a routine. That is so nice that you were able to be there to help - the quilt the baby is wrapped in looks perfect for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful baby. And the other one is a cutie also. Congratulations. I have to say, not that it matters, but at first I was dubious about the stripes with the blocks around it. But, then whey you added the appliqued flowers, I thought wow. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful baby and second granddaughter. You are so lucky to have had this time with your new granddaughter. I love your quilts, and I can't wait to see this latest one become a flimsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are back! I missed you! Congratulations to the beautiful baby!
    The quilt will be fabulous! You are so good at making them sing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How Marvelous! What a beauty and great quilts coming into focus too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A new grandbaby to love! Her little cousin is adorable too, so very precious they both are. And good that you're able to settle back a bit into your quilting creativity. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good to see you back after your stay with daughter, another beautiful grand-daughter and she has a beautiful name! I love what you're doing with your latest quilt Audrey - glad you ditched the circles, your changes to the centre piece are super.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you were able to be there for the birth of Gracelyn. And now, you're off and creating. You are a brave heart. I always admire your free and energetic spirit. I would have had to turn over the top over too and not face what was being trimmed off. 🥺

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the new granddaughter! Love the name.

    I like where this quilt is going. I much prefer the applique flowers and vase over so many of the circles you had first thought about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy that you got to spend time with your daughter and new grandchild. These moments are so special. In fact, I guess it is the only thing I would rather do than quilt. LOL. I love where this scrappy quilt is headed. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.