Wednesday, March 30, 2022

So Many Strips

All the applique is finished up and now the borders are attached onto the first Improv. Strips quilt. I needed this one to be a completed top so that I could use it in the demonstration for sandwiching and pinning a quilt. Not that I'm really in the mood to start stitching on this quite yet, but it makes sense to show them the hand quilting stuff on a similar design.

Improv. Strip Quilt #1 top is done!
After all the angst about making this quilt wider than it was tall, I rather like how the deeper borders at top and bottom corral the strips. It makes me smile to see the last little bits added on at the corners. Waste not, want not!

No Wasted Pieces is the new name. Of course!
Or whatever. I was soooo tempted to leave off the 'ces' on the word pieces. How about 'no wasted pie' instead? But yeah. That would have been just a little too much. My husband and daughters weird sense of humor is obviously affecting me now that I'm the only one who rolls her eyes. Definitely missing our oldest daughter these days!

A little bit of applique can go a long ways....
After liking, then not liking, then making plans for adding applique, I'm back to liking the Improv. Strips #2 quilt. Maybe just exactly the way it is. No borders. No added applique. Just this.

Improv. Strip Quilt #2 {Blue} might be done
Maybe even almost loving it. Hmm...

Loving the sparky strips of gold
Could it be added to my skimpy pile of manly quilt top options? I'm wondering.

Kind of a summer day, pond water, blue skies
sort of quilt
I played with the applique idea regardless, just because I had been thinking about it for so long. I had this idea of a stacked, layer after layer of a somewhat formal looking flower. Yep. Spent a couple of hours on the layers and then... it looked a little too feminine. Too suggestive. Ick. So I pulled off about six layers and thought perhaps this would work.

Thinking about an applique addition
Then I switched up the leaves to something darker and auditioned it again. Yeah. It's not quite right. I'm not sure what's going to happen here now and like I said, it might just be better without any applique at all. Time to let it simmer.

Or not?
Last nights quilt meeting was a lot of fun! These are six of the ladies who have made it through to quilt top stage {or almost} and I couldn't be prouder. They have really been working hard to get through all the phases up till now. Two more gals couldn't make the meeting last night and then there is one more straggler who is waaay behind, but still wants to keep in contact and perhaps move along at a slower pace. Three total drop-outs for various reasons that I don't think had anything to do with me. Not too shabby! Right? 

I love the different personalities everyone brought to the quilt project. So interesting to make similar but different quilt tops all at the same time. I didn't even end up showing them my completed Improv. Quilt Top #2 because we had so much information to get through and really, this night was about them.*Whew  It feels so good to see them at this stage and see that yes, what I have been showing them {and teaching} actually works in reality, not just theory! Can not even tell you how happy this makes me seeing their smiles!

These ladies did so good!
I've been working on a little tiny bit of applique lately {such as the 'no wasted pieces stuff', but otherwise, have been practically drowning myself in strip sewing. After I made up my mind to play with the class demo strips, it almost became a compulsion to finish it out. Just wanted to make the effort and then throw all the little bits away and be done.
Calling this one 'Practice'
I really thought there would be more sashing or border work between the rows as the quilt started doing the medallion thing, but it just never looked right after the middle portion was sewn together. Okay, that's fine. 

I played and played one afternoon with the sets of strips, mixing up the colors in the first two outside borders. Played with the scale by folding the auditioned rows under seeing if skinnier rows looked better or not. Finally got a plan figured out and then, at row two, totally forgot that I intended to make the top and bottom portions be about three and a half inches longer so as to end up with a rectangular quilt.*sigh  I couldn't believe it when I laid out my finished quilt and saw that somehow I had ended up working on auto-pilot and yep! Cut and sewn the outside rows an identical width all around the quilt. Uggh... 

The third outside border doesn't look as
awful as I expected
I went to bed that night pretty irritated with myself and disappointed with the quilt overall. It could have looked so good! But then I got to thinking and you know what? This quilt is not anything special. It's not something that I've spent months thinking about and wondering how to instill a certain 'vibe' and look into. It is exactly what the name implies. Practice. 

So I laid it out on the floor again and took all the cut off portions and started to play again. Eventually I decided to trim those shorter portions down to the {almost} shortest length and make two long border pieces out of those. Whatever that size ended up being? That was it, gonna have to work. Only had to use the seam ripper on two different block units and replace super short strips with a new one.

Looking much softer in the right light...
And that was that. Instead of two strippy borders around the center of the quilt, the top and bottom ended up with three. Wallah! Super interesting quilt to play with just in making-do, finding good spots for terribly blah fabrics, how the look changed so quickly by reducing strip lengths in a border. That sort of thing. Fun to pursue but now I'm done, almost exhausted with it all. Ready to move on to more compelling colors of fabric and do my own thing again! Or is this maybe more my thing than I realize? Just winging it and figuring out how to make things work? Whatever. It definitely doesn't hurt anything to try!

 

19 comments:

  1. Love this idea. And love all of these. The blue is brilliant and the 'practice' is calming. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "no wasted pieces" quilt looks like New Mexico! (the flower on top even reminds me of the state motto "it grows as it goes")
    Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful, is there a pattern available?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just gorgeous work on "No Wasted Pieces"; and your class of ladies did so well..How exciting to see that;))) Your summer's day-like (at least to my eyes) quilt with the blues is so calming...great color choices...hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like your class is working out ok - I bet most classes usually have a person or two or more drop out for various reasons. I like how the pieces are staggered in the tops so they seams don't have to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing your class with their quilts! Stupendous and such good work from them!! Your quilts are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coins are a great way to use up older fabrics. Love your limited color palettes, clever borders and sashing. And always love applique.
    Congrats on a successful class. It's always good to see so many keep up with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of those big smiles on your students' faces - you are obviously passing on your passion for this humble art. And for what it's worth, I'd go without any applique on your second improv quilt. It's lovely just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your passion and persistent is a special trait that keeps you trying and experimenting with every quilt you make. Your class looks very happy and have created their own unique quilts under your inspiration and instruction. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really, really like these improv quilts that you're working on!
    The ladies must be thrilled with their tops. The piece of applique I think is rather good, especially with the dark leaves and perhaps if not on this quilt if=t could be used with another project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow these string quilts are eye catchers. Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, if that is what you call "Practice", I think you have hit the nail with all 3 of these!! I love the first one best. I love your words on quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those strip-py Waste Not Want not quilts.
    Reminds me of the things my Grandmother used to say and plant within our souls. Of course I'm lovingly passing these tidbits onto my grand children. Do you have a tutorial or explanation on how you completed these? I love if you'd share your tips since I live too far away. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely to see the photo of your class, very pleasing results too! Your quilts in this post all look great, love the limited palettes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The happy smiles on your students' faces says it all! I kind of like "no wasted pie" too, makes perfect sense in my world! I'm kind of loving the blue and gold/yellow quilt too, the old song 'blue skies, smiling at me' came to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your very successful class! Good for you! Your improv quilts are beautiful and I enjoy reading about your process, very inspiring, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have grown increasingly fond of simple strippy/coin quilts and of more limited palettes and you have a lovely selection here. I bet you were really proud of your students and their efforts. I really like how Practice ended up and think 'it doesn't hurt to try' is a good quilting motto.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hooray for breaking out the seam ripper so you could re-imagine the shape of the quilt to your liking. And yes, whether we realize it or not, being able to "work on the fly" and change our minds/plans at will is THE BEST. (p.s. I think the middle quilt is fine just the way it is without any applique - quilting will add the texture that is missing right now)

    ReplyDelete
  19. p.s. Congratulations to YOU and to your students - what a successful process.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.