Thursday, August 13, 2020

A Good Finish

Not getting very far with the paperwork, but at least there has been time spent there. Just like with quilting, I figure every little bit accomplished equals forward progress. In better news, there's a new quilt finish! This has been such a cheerful quilt to work on. Can't believe it didn't end up in the hoop much sooner. Totally sanity saving, believe me! Why do people tend to believe that yellow isn't a positive mood enhancer?
Sweet Tarts
Maybe it's the combination of yellow and pink that works all the charm? This was a quilt top that was maybe started back in 2018? Can't find the original post now and don't want to scroll through pages and pages to find it. The beginning was sparked by an attempt at improv., free-style cut baskets and one of those stacks of simmering fabrics that are always begging to be next in line.

The full quilt
I seem to remember struggling with the inside of the baskets. Flowers? Leaves? And then somehow that morphed into adding little baskets too. Why not do both? There was a rough drawn design at one time, but it didn't take long to figure out that all the other border ideas didn't quite belong in this particular quilt. There is generally always that point in sewing a quilt top together, where the whole thing just kind of shrieks at you to 'go away' and leave it alone. Pretty please and thank you, with a cherry on top.
Close up of the little baskets
I loved the idea of framing the little baskets in simple half-squared triangle borders and using the bright, intense cheddar fabric just made the most sense at the time. Been itching to use it for years! And that pink floral fabric was just pleading to be included too. Didn't really know the very best use, but finally settled on super easy blocks. I like how the floral acts more like a background fabric in these understated blocks. Sometimes this sort of simplicity feels a bit like 'cheating', but what's the use of pretty printed fabric if we can't enjoy it?

Loving these larger baskets
I hand quilted around the edges of the baskets in organic, radiating rows {like usual}, but left the inside area free this time. It looks a little bit rumpled in the pics, but looks great in person. It's interesting when there are areas not quite as heavily quilted as the surroundings. See how the fabric looks so much lighter inside the baskets? It must be the thread color I used that appears to darken the outer basket fabric. It's a variegated cream/tan/light brown thread that seems all but invisible, but apparently not!

So happy with the cheddar/pink mix
After I posted the picture of this quilt being 'next up in the hoop', an observant reader emailed me and let me know that the cheddar triangles frame {on the very bottom right little basket} had a row turned upside down {check the second picture in the post}. Super kind of her to give me a heads up before the quilting actually happened!

In the end I decided to leave it be, though you can bet that I considered it very seriously for well over a 24 hour period--pretty much the time frame where it would have been the easiest to start ripping things out. It's something that I find to be charming and whimsical in another persons quilt, so whats the point of being fussy in mine? And there you go. Sometimes the mistakes just have to become part of the quilt around here. I had this feeling that it would be something to regret if this quilt ended up looking a little too perfect. And you know that I sometimes rip things out. I do! And would have this time for sure if I thought it would be something to bother me forever.

Some quilts just need the hand quilting love...
So funny that I had actually never noticed this mistake until the exact moment that it was pointed out! This quilt didn't seem demanding at all about the binding and so I went ahead with the scrappy look that seems to be my fall-back these days. There were several orphaned binding pieces in various shades of pink to make up the needed length. One of them is probably a little bit on the 'too light' side to perfectly compliment the quilt, but does it really matter? This quilt is striking enough not to have to rely on binding color for needful spark. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why those two little totes never seem to run out...
This one might have to stay with me
You may have noticed the sweet vintage-look floral used as the backing fabric. It's something that was bought last year at a senior citizens rummage room sale. Love it so much! Totally made my day to use it so successfully, though it probably would have been a fun challenge to incorporate it into the front of a quilt too. I had to smile at one of my daughters when she first saw it. Her face! Apparently this floral is an acquired taste. And here I thought it was absolutely fantastic!

Spring Flowers
All 18 of the Spring Flower blocks are finished up now too. Once I started hand stitching the leaves to the background it went really fast. Of course it helped that I was stuck in a vehicle for most of two days traveling to and fro a family funeral. While this was a very sad occasion, it wasn't exactly unexpected as the health issues had been ongoing and/or progressing for a little over five years.

All orphaned 'cut-out' circles and scrap bin fabric leaves
Of course, there's never enough time with loved ones, and I don't have a clue what to say to my sister.that would be the least bit comforting. Losing a companion is heartbreaking under almost any circumstance. We were just relieved that the graveside services allowed accommodation for all of the family who wanted to attend. Even a month or two earlier, the numbers would have been severely limited which would have made a distressing situation even more traumatic. As it was, my sister had to make unhappy choices within the Covid safety rules and just do the very best she could within those boundaries.

As far as these quilt blocks are concerned, something needs to be done to wake them up. I'm completely rethinking the colors/ideas for alternate blocks. Right now the blocks look very soft and cozy close up, but absolutely boring from a distance. Am keeping them on the wall until something interesting floats through my brain. Not feeling especially creative right now, but the hand stitching and hand quilting feels super soothing. Gotta take the 'feel goods' where you find them these days. And the rare moments of inspiration too...
 

28 comments:

  1. I would say Sweet Tarts (great name) is a GREAT finish. It's just awesome - energizing. Love the pink and yellow combo, and your quilting too. I'm glad you left that "mistake" because it suits the quilt to have a little hidden quirkiness like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sweet tarts quilt is just so sweet and the quilting looks marvelous. The colors make me happy, maybe because I love pink and yellow. It feels so good to use a fabric you found, sometimes a fabric will just find it's quilt, just like that.
    Very warm greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your quilt and those flowers are very nice...but you are right that they need something...a bright aqua maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Tarts is definitely a keeper! Your quilting is the perfect finishing touch, adds so much depth and interest to each block. Truthfully I'd have never seen the bit of quirkiness had you not pointed it out. Are the spring flower blocks part of an adhoc improv prompt? Definitely a lot of options for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noting makes me happier than a quilt with yellow! I adore this little gem and I do hope you keep this one. LOVE the backing fabric!! Your Spring Flower blocks are so subtle in comparison. I love those happy circles though and I look forward to watching them grow into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I am a sucker for a basket quilt. These just gab my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to really look it over to see the mistake - I bet most will never notice it. love it and the next one - such original designs always I love that about your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet tarts is amazing! I love how your handquilting adds so much to it. I also love the floral fabrics on the front and the back. Such a warm, pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Sweet Tarts quilt! Always loved baskets and flowers, and the pink and yellows look really sweet together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, when I first started looking I saw lovely texture, sweet flowers, wonderful baskets, joyous color and that gorgeous fabric with roses.Never even stopped to see if all the triangles were going the same direction. Oh, and I love that backing fabric too. Your quilt has everything a quilt needs and more! Perfection!

    Looking forward to what you will do with those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great finish. I was looking at one of my Welsh Quilt Studies and realized I had flipped one sashing strip around the middle medallion. It is all quilted with those close Welsh quilt designs so to take it out and turn it would require taking out the quilting and replacing it too. I don't know if I'm up to all that work for a little piece that is supposed to be finished. I guess I admire your laissez faire attitude with your hst row. I wish I could just move on. . . I get excited about fabrics I have and both of my girls think I'm crazy too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I hope you DO keep that beautifully finished pink and yellow charmer (and I love the backing - not an acquired taste for me at all). So sorry about the funeral and loss but glad that you were able to gather even with restrictions. The second group of flowers tells me they want some TURQUOISE in the mix. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad those fabrics called out to you to be used in this Sweet Tarts, the pink and yellow, quilt. It all works beautifully and that backing is perfect, imho. I will look forward to seeing what you audition and wind up using in your second quilt. Love those simple lines of those flowers and the calming colours. So sorry you had a funeral in your days lately to add to the feeling of weird and sad times we are experiencing. I hope you have a good weekend now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet Tarts has been one of my favorites in the watching. It's just grand in the finish! Your soft flowers at the end of this post remind me of my garden at night. You can't make out the colors in the dark, only gray scale. Looking forward to what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My prayers are with your sister on the loss of her beloved. A blessing that you could attend the service. The presence of people who remember him is a great comfort.
    Your baskets are wonderful. Keeping the turned row of triangles feels {and looks} right.
    I love your soft Spring Flowers. When you said you were rethinking the colors, I started thinking what I'd use. And my thoughts keep returning to Marsala. Just tossing that idea in the ring. It will be a treat to see what you do.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely the sweetest quilt I've ever seen! When you start a quilt I always think where in the heck this is going and then get caught up in the process and amazed at your thought process! Love all your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your baskets in this Sweet Tarts quilt--I think the juxtaposition of the alternate blocks is just fabulous--really wonderful finish...
    hugs, julierose

    ReplyDelete
  18. wee! what a fun and lively finish. Great color combination and the quilting brings it alive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful inspiration quilt you have there! Love it! If it were me that made it, I'd keep it too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Baskets in cheddar and pink, w thatyellow backing--perfection! Adding it to my all time favorites of your work. The soft blue lolipops re darling too.

    Sorry to be behind in comments, I read and try to comments but Blogger hates me an refuses. All your recent projects are so interesting and inspiring.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sweet Tart is so cheerful and whimsical and the texture of the quilting popped the design to life. The backing fit the character of the quilt. The Spring Flowers are a contrast just like another part of the garden. I like the simplicity and low contrast. How will you make this garden grow?




    ReplyDelete
  22. Great finish on Sweet Tarts. It looks like such a tactile quilt with all that hand quilting. Love those Spring Flower blocks,

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely, cheery quilt Sweet Tarts is! I like that you left the one row the way it was. It adds a little whimsy in a subtle way, even if you don't notice it outright. Spring Flowers is a beauty as well!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, my goodness...baskets and beauty...the backing of Sweet Tarts is stunning...as for grief..on and on it goes...relentlessly....only thing that helps is a supportive listen...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your 'sweet tarts" quilt, well, actually, I love most of your work! The pink & yellow combo is delightful! Looking forward to seeing how your 'spring flowers progress, I'm sure whatever you have in mind will be a surprise and look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Super lovely work! Your projects make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I always smile when I see your quilts. Yes the pink and yellow is very charming and baskets are always on my list of favorite quilts. Spring Flowers looks vintage and modern at the same time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.