Wednesday, April 15, 2020

A Little Bit of This and A Little Bit of That

I started another Quarter Log Cabin quilt. All the strips are free cut and the plan is the set the blocks on the diagonal this time. Right now it's just an excuse to get me in the quilt room and actually sewing.
Quarter Log Cabin #2
Everything seems to take an enormous amount of effort these days, so complex is totally out of the question. Much too easy to short circuit my brain these days. I'll probably end up doing a Quarter Log Cabin series as I'm already contemplating a different setting/color palette to play with.
Ormes Inspired
Finished up with the main part of Ormes Inspired! All the applique is done and I've even managed to get the background trimmed down, which was harder than you might think. It's wider than it is tall so a really, really awkward size. Right now I'm trying to figure out a super easy border that won't distract from the applique but will sort of even out the odd dimensions. Feeling sooo relieved that the applique filled up the space adequately and there are no glaringly odd areas. I had to add a third tulip up under the larger light green flower and really squeeeeze the flower in under the elephants trunk to make it work. Otherwise, everything else is about where it was supposed to be.*Whew!  This feels like a big accomplishment, but I think it's just because all the applique was applied to one large background and all 'eyeballed'. Sometimes there are just not nearly enough fingers to cross while you're working through certain projects. Might as well cross a few toes at the same time...*wink
A few face masks
Spent some precious quilting time on making a few face masks, I think 15 in all? Some had already beeen given away when I took this pic. Not terribly difficult but not at all fun. Like Kathy has mentioned a time or two, it honestly feels like negative energy in the quilting room. Just can't quite get to that Kumbaya moment like I'm 'supposed' to. Sue me. I'm already out of the softer elastic though and decided to only make a few with the stiffer stuff as no one will want to wear those for very long. Our area is very rural and quite spread out. Right now we're at .036 percentage of our population who have positive cases {way less than 1%} so not very alarming at this point. Even the next county over with more cases is still way under 1% positive cases and I only go to one of the smaller towns for groceries these days anyway. Gave masks to my parents and immediate family and that's that. I'm done there for now.
Tried a new recipe
Made a couple strawberry/raspberry pies for Easter Sunday. Used this recipe here though I only used two kinds of berries instead of four. Wonderfully fresh tasting pie! So much better than the store bought glaze flavor. Had to wait and wait on the Walmart guy to round up some more strawberries from the back of the store, but so worth it. And he was so nice about it, unlike the girl I asked. Feeling sorry for how long their days must be lately with all the extra stocking hours. Easter might have been totally different from our normal holiday but we could still have pie. Just couldn't go home without at least trying, right?

20 comments:

  1. You know, I feel so lacking in energy too...troublesome times...
    I have to say my favorite thing that you applique are your flowers--great shapes..and those curvey leaf fronds are super...this is a lovely quilt...
    Hang in there kiddo, this too shall pass (I hope).
    Doing strip free form courthouse steps blocks...easy peasey...
    Take care and stay strong
    ~ ~ ~ waving from still cold CT Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does free cut mean you aren't using a ruler to cut the strips?
    Your pie looks delicious. I love strawberries and I love raspberries but have never had them together in a pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like the odd rectangle shape of the Ormes inspired quilt! Looks perfect to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe row that looks like pennants or flags that people string for parties. This quilt is a celebration to me

      Delete
  4. I so agree with you - I can not get into making face masks and I made close to a 50 total and I was just telling Mike I just kept one for him and one for me and if we need more we will find a place to order them!!I am not making more. I felt so down the whole time I was making them - down right depressed.
    I love the log cabin on the diagonal like that - one project in the future for me not log cabin but strips is pineapple blocks and I will actually do them on paper, not something I normally do but I have a set of papers that I ordered for 12 inch blocks I think it was or were they 15inch - anyhow big! Glad you do not have a lot of sickness by you - 31 in our county which is mostly small towns and one that is 27,000.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sure are strange times for all of us. Glad you got to have pie and glad Ormes inspired cooperated so well. Starting something new might be just what we need to rather than using the time to work on UFOs or unpleasant projects. Stay positive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the ormes inspired quilt so much, maybe because I have a soft spot for elephants. Oh that pie looks delicious. Warm greetings

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm that pie looks delicious!
    I too just love that ormes quilt. it is so so great.
    I too have low energy and I think it's the stress of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about negative energy in the sewing room - the masks. I felt the same but couldn't quite put my finger on it. I have some more to make, but, starting a new and SIMPLE quilt sounds healthier. It's great that you live in a rural area. And, your pie looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Appliqueing on one large background is hard. Yours really "works'!
    I'm happily living in a rural area too with zero cases in our county.
    I made strawberry shortcake for Easter- the berries were delish! Most of our grocery stores are looking for help as they are busy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Quarter Log Cabin project is going to be fantastic Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your applique piece is so terrific. It just has movement and a vibe of energy. It turned out really nice. The pie looks yummy! I don't know what it is about making masks. I have five cut out but that's as far as I got. So many others are producing masks on an assembly line but I just found a box to put everything in so I don't have to think about it.
    Thank goodness my oldest daughter made me one or I would be without anything. Have fun with your quarter log cabins, fun is what it is about right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quarter log cabin blocks look like the perfect way to enjoy the soothing rhythm of stitching. Ormes Inspired is....Inspired!! Way to go run with an inspiration! I agree - mask-making is not a Kumbaya activity. Despite your low risk - stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is tough to get into quilting when I'm making masks. Unfortunately our county has one of the higher infection rates so I feel a need to help everyone. I'm only going out to pick up groceries. They bring them to my car, thank goodness. And I leave them masks.
    I've so enjoyed watching you applique Orme inspired. What a beautiful quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your two ongoing quilts are beautiful. I so love the Q Log Cabin, those colors! nd the folky applique jungly project is a delight..

    The pie looks so good. The berries are added after the crust is baked? Are they cooked at all? My dad loved baked strawberry pie [like cherry pie] but I never liked the soggy berries. Yours looks so yummy.

    I am relieved someone bides me has voiced ambivalent feelings about making masks. They do create negative feelings in me, or did at first, but as the virus continues to rage on here, I do feel like I am offering a certain love and protection [spurious] to my loved ons, as I hand the masks out. They are very uncomfortable, aren't they? i can't wear mine, it gives me panic attacks. I wear a voile face scarf instead to walk Mo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I found the link for the pie recipe, disregard my comment. It looks lovely to try someday , when I can go out to shop and the stores have food.

      Delete
  15. So now on to the border for Ormes! The quarter Log Cabins will go along much quicker than Ormes, I like the colour mix Audrey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Ormes Inspired! is amazing! And I like the log cabin also. Maybe I have to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh the Ormes quilt is so sensational! I think we are all walking into our sewing rooms with that dazed look. Maybe it is all the masks we are making? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute elephant among the flowers! And impressive applique skills.Log Cabin blocks are a super choice too, I'm inspired by your projects, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.