Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Tis The Season!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone! We have the sugar cookies and caramel corn taken care of and now, it's time to start baking the pies. Don't you just love tradition?
Making sugar cookies
All my packages have arrived except one and thankfully it was just a few stocking stuffers. Out here in rural America, the package arrival dates can be less than as promised. In whatever spare time that I could find, I've been working on the Christmas Stars quilt.
Christmas Stars
All that's left to do is a pieced border of flying geese, which is already cut out. Loving the look of this simple quilt so much. Very 'country living' and cozy looking which is really all that I'm wanting it to be right now.
A closer look
Why oh why haven't I made more holiday quilts in years past? You're going to laugh, but I've cut out two more. They are very simple and nothing that screams cheesy Christmas. Some year I intend to have enough to put on all the beds during the season. A girl can dream!

The quilters who have posted these sorts of pictures this month have made me sigh with envy. Apparently it's time to join the party! Even if I run out of fun sewing these together this year, I will have them prepped and ready to work on when the holiday cycles around once again. Like I mentioned before, I'm never in the mood to work on Christmas quilts until Christmas! Though I intend to work on them a bit leading up to New Years, I sincerely doubt the momentum will hold for much longer. Again with the best wishes for a wonderful holiday, however it is that you spend your time!

*Update for those who are curious about the pattern. This quilt is based on a picture of an antique quilt I saw in the June 2011 American Patchwork & Quilting magazine. It has been in my inspiration binders for years! Super easy to make up your own version.

Make 20-9" {finished} Sawtooth Square blocks. For each block cut out:

  • 1--5 3/4" square of background fabric. Cut on diagonal and then crosscut again making 4 triangles total
  • 4--2 3/4" squares of background fabric
  • 4--3 1/8" squares of star tip fabric. Cut on diagonal once
  • 1--5" squares of star center fabric
Sew together blocks according to normal Sawtooth Star directions. Might have to trim slightly.

Cut red fabric for adjoining red squares and setting triangles:

  • Cut 12--9 1/2" squares of red fabric
  • Cut 4--14" squares of red fabric. Cut on diagonal and then crosscut again. Will use 14 of these triangles
  • Cut 2--7 1/4" squares of red fabric. Cut on diagonal
Cut pieces for flying geese border:
  • Cut 27--5 3/4" squares of red fabric for inside flying geese units. Cut on diagonal and then crosscut again.
  • Cut 108--3 1/8" squares of green fabric for flying geese points. Cut on diagonal once
Have not tested the flying geese units to see if they actually will fit properly, but according to the math there should be 22 flying geese at the top of the quilt {flying sideways} and 28 along the side {flying in the vertical orientation}, plus two more at each of the corners flying vertically as well.

Good luck! 

19 comments:

  1. I love your Christmas stars! this will be a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Christmas stars! I too was inspired by the Christmas decorating blog hop and am starting a Christmas quilt of my own too but I really like yours. I might end up making more than one and use your idea for the 2nd one. Merry Christmas and Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Christmas Stars! I'm adding that idea to my Christmas quilt wish list. I was inspired by the Christmas blog hop too, and have been planning lots of holiday makes for the coming year. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilt!!
    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you please tell me where to find the Christmas Star quilt pattern? I love the colors you used. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a good start to a new Christmas tradition. I've been quilting and pie-making, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delight to see your Christmas Stars! It happens I'm working on one very similar, which wii also look "Christmas-y" without screaming Christmas. I'm in the same boat, as I haven't really ever made an actual Christmas quilt. (Well, I just made a mini that may qualify... )
    Audrey I read your comment on Wendy's "am I an artist" post and I have to say I agree fully with your sentiment - very nicely expressed, btw. But whether a "maker, crafter or artist", you are hands-down the most original and gifted quilt designer I have ever encountered. And productive! Good grief. You are clearly driven to express your vision - so many ideas! Which are beautifully executed as well. This to me, describes an artist. Did I mention inspirational? Your quilts never cease to dazzle me. I am worlds away from what you do (star quilt excepted) but your quilts are a regular reminder of the possibilities.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family, Audrey. Enjoy your baking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those Christmas stars! (I may have to make one, too, but maybe 6" blocks...)
    I hope your Christmas was glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas Audrey - love the christmas stars - you've got me wondering about combos in my christmas fabrics so I can make one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is going to be one grand and glorious quilt in its sweet old fashioned simplicity. After all these years we finally have our own Christmas quilt too, and it's stars! So happy it's finally finished and come out early next year's season. Thanks for sharing the pattern too. May the new year bring continued joy and inspiration to continue pursuing your quilty muse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just said the exact same thing to my husband the other day. Everyone seems to have such beautiful holiday quilts laying on the beds in their house. I need to start making holiday quilts too! Good for you for already making headway. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that Christmas star quilt really screams farmhouse cozy! That red is perfect and you can't go wrong with stars

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas and happy holidays Audrey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LUV your quilt Audrey - it is perfect without being kitchy. Can hardly wait to see the other two that you have cut. A very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christmas Stars is most definitely a winner!! Thank you for posting directions, this is one I shall definitely make, I love Sawtooth Star blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope your Christmas was Merry and I wish you a Happy and quilt filled New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely! Since you didn't use Christmas fabrics this seems like it could be an any time of the year Stars quilt. What a fun goal to have a Christmas quilt on every bed.

    I have three Christmas quilts and stopped at 3 because I have three grandkids. They used to stay overnight in December and loved to sleep with a Christmas quilt. (We also made sugar cookies with lots of frosting and decorations and we made ornaments as well.) Now I'm lucky if the grandkids come help me decorate the tree. Anyway...when they set up their own households I will give them each a Christmas quilt as well as some Christmas decorations they made and gave me for my tree. And then I guess at that time I will be Christmas quilt-less and have to make another.

    Happy New Year! Looking forward to your 2020 creations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that's a wonderful aim to have Christmas quilts on all the beds. Hoping you had an enjoy Christmas with those you love.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank You for sharing your quilts, love them, especially the stars quilt! As others have said I don't have a specific Christmas quilt either and now after seeing your's I really want to get one started especially since you were kind enough to share the pattern! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.