Tuesday, July 2, 2019

All Finished With the String Blocks

Here they are, those string blocks that I almost gave up on doing. While I love and adore quilts made out of the scrap bin, there's just something about the process that requires a certain mood.
String blocks
In this case, it was a desire to bury my head in some well loved fabrics, not have to make a lot of decisions and just chain piece myself into a place of serenity. Or calmness. I don't think there's ever really any true serenity when doing foundation piecing! It worked pretty well right up to the point where I had to high step, jump or practically crawl over the messy little totes of spilling scraps just to get out of the quilt room. And we're ignoring all the bits and pieces of trim-offs scattered all over the floor everywhere. Wowsers! Oh yes we are! The string blocks are completely done though. All 56 of them! After working on them in fits and starts for two days, I went back upstairs last night and powered through the last 19 blocks. Didn't want to push them off for another couple months once again.

Thanks to Kyle for mentioning that she's been a 'sewing maniac' lately. She blew out her wonderful 'Burgoyne Surrounded' quilt top in just days! While I was sewing on my string blocks, her words would resonate with me and inspire me to push through {I don't like foundation piecing at all, though I love the finished product}.

I can also thank Julie for helping to inspire me too. Her blocks have been popping up on a daily basis and though I couldn't even image wanting to make one of these a day, it forced me to consider my languishing project. Like, really deeply consider it! Did I want to have this string quilt or not, 'cuz it wasn't getting anywhere all by itself? lol  

Linking up to Lori's Stringalong. Without this particular QAL, I probably would have never even started this quilt! Next up will be to trim up these blocks and then decide on the ever-other-block fabric that are needed to continue. Or if I want to make the quilt larger and make more blocks. Or if I want to add applique. Or a border. Or any one of the myriad of decisions that I love to torture myself with. Totally kidding! With the foundation piecing behind me, the torture part is OVER....

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your string blocks finish, they're scrappy and colorful.
    Thanks for the link to Kyle's finish, classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you, foundation piecing is not my favorite. I tend to avoid it. But once in a while I have to give in a do it for a quilt I have brewing in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't power through hundreds of string blocks!! Good job for getting them done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make my string blocks without foundations - I straight piece and then cut the square on point from the sewn together strips. Works like a charm and no foundation to deal with (paper or muslin).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pink and navy strings are so pretty together. Sounds like you've been sewly busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job from one maniac to another!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me, too. Not a fan of foundation piecing on paper as I hate the texture issue to remove it. Fabric foundation is better for me, but I've had those quilts turn out 'heavy'. I have a list of reasons why I don't like to do them, but I love the look! Quiltdivajulie above made a great suggestion, I think. I wonder if you made that strip wide enough to get a square on point, and then could also get a half square triangle to use the so-called waste cuts in between. It would sure be easier. Hmmmm?

    Off to follow your links, and check out these quilters who inspired your string blocks in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes me want to sew up some strings, too. But I’ll hold off. My dear sister has a project for us this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your successful block finish is marvelous. What a feeling of accomplishment. The colors really resonate with me. Can't wait to see it together. I did a block of 3 teacups and one old coffee grinder by foundation piecing, and got sucked into the addiction of the perfect triangles. I have a languishing pickle dish that has all of the foundation work done. It has been in time out for years. ha ha.
    Thanks for the links, 2 great blogs to enjoy and follow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the stringy colors - can't wait to see what happens next! I'm with you, I need to be in the right mood to make string blocks. For all the fun of mindlessly stitching, there's still the trimming and bits of fabric everywhere to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think with string quilts - like anything else - its all about the fabrics. Yours is going to be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done for getting your head down and finishing the job. Now the fun part can start!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful looking blocks with gorgeous colours/fabrics. What a sewing marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love string blocks! Looks like you're going to be spending more time on a decision for the alternate blocks, I'm going to be interested to see what develops.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.