Thursday, June 13, 2019

Come Take A Look At All My Basket Quilts

It was an interesting exercise to go completely through the blog from beginning to end. All very quickly of course, just looking for anything 'baskets'. The first several years of the blog found me very tentative about posting pictures and I know there are several quilts missing in action. Such a shame.
More modern looking basket wall hanging
And no, I couldn't find pictures of them elsewhere either, because the main reason I started taking pictures of any of my quilts was for the sole purpose of posting them in a blog post. In those first years, it felt very nerve-wracking to throw up a picture and basically say 'Hey! This is my work. Love it or hate it!'.  

The basket wall hanging posted above was finished in perhaps 2011? I just can't remember much about it other than it was made all in a rush one week when I was feeling desperate to have something pretty hanging on a wall in one of our bathrooms. A new shower curtain probably inspired the on-purpose color palette, but it's never been taken down since as I've always found it cheerful. The middle part is very closely based on a quilt out of 'Intuitive Color & Design' by Jean Wells; however, the border was all my own imagining.
Little Prim wall hanging
This primitive little wall hanging with the tiny little basket was the very first wall hanging I had ever made and perhaps the first time baskets were ever attempted either? If so, that would mean that I've only been indulging my love for stitching basket elements since the year 2002. Wowsers. Only 17 years? It's from an ancient American Patchwork and Quilting magazine and I assure you that I felt all the anxiety of the doomed upon starting it. Bear in mind that this little wall hanging was also the very first hand quilting attempt by yours truly as well. My hand quilting mentor was quite, quite dubious about the predictably shaky results, but I showed her. Here I am a million stitching years later, still slogging it out with the hand work. She has thoroughly moved on to bigger and better hobbies, leaving us plebeian quilters quite firmly behind in the proverbial dust. {Btw, do you feel that your quilting hobby is ignoble or unworthy? Nor do I. Her loss, really.}
Vintage Lily in the hoop
Vintage Lily is the latest quilt in the hoop and by chance it has a basket motif in it as well. I know, so very shocking. This quilt was made in response to one I saw hanging in a quilt show back in 2017. It lit a little fire in me and finally, I was able to come up with my very own interpretation.

Baskets still remain extremely inspirational to me, even after so many years of playing with them. There's a timeless beauty and charm to them that easily translates into many different styles. As you can see from comparing the Vintage Lily basket {above} to the original inspiration quilt, simply changing colors and prints can create a completely different look and feel to an entire quilt! Love that!

After considering all the different ways to show you the lineup of basket quilts made here throughout the years, I decided to keep it simple. Here's the link to my brand new Pinterest board: Quilty Folk Baskets. There's about 40 different basket quilts to look at in all. At the very least, the quilt will have a basket represented somewhere. Many of them are my own design, though some are not. Obviously. Baskets are pretty universal so don't expect anything breathtakingly new and different. If you click on a picture, it should take you directly back to a post on my blog where hopefully you can read more about that particular quilt. Please don't be shy about asking questions concerning any of the quilts pictured. Writing about each and every quilt just felt a bit too daunting for this moment in time! 

15 comments:

  1. Love all your baskets? I really like that little first one a lot...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did it! Thanks, Audrey, for taking the time. I'm off to have a good old browse now. Also, 'bigger and better' hobbies than quilting? How is that possible?

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun basket quilts I loved looking at your Pinterest Board

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have made so many gorgeous basket quilts! Lovely to see them on your Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Basket quilts are classic and so fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the quilt show! I've saved your Pinterest page. Such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever you to make a pinerest board of your baskets. I love them but haven't made very many. Another thing I need to get busy with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Vintage Lily is extremely charming! I'm awed by your work and feel intimidated when I see your projects. But I keep coming back hoping some of it will rub off on me. Isn't it funny how that works?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I am shouting many thanks! Love all your work!

    Rondi
    rondiquilts@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fun seeing your complete catalog of basket quilts all in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in love with those basket quilts! Inspirational seeing them all in one location. The one with "HAHAHA" border......I can't remember the story. Does that represent intials for something or for laughter?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Checked out your new Pinterest page - you DO like baskets! Gorgeous - every last one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful selection of 'basket' quilts! It's great to see them all, I'd forgotten about many of them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great to see your theme evolve over the years. Putting your quilts on Pinterest is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel a little defensive when someone implies that quilting is menial work and a lesser form of art. Something that gives so much pleasure to the maker, the giver, the recipient, and the viewer has to be something pretty special.

    I am unsure about showing my work to the world sometimes too. I have a post that I made last month, published it, and then took it back because I want people to love what I did and if they don't comment, how will I know? Some of the things I make - I think are really wonderful so it doesn't matter if someone likes it or not. But, other things are hugged close to my heart and I hesitate to share.

    Now, I'm off to look at Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.