Monday, February 22, 2016

Playing With a Pieced Background

Do you ever end up with up with something that doesn't seem to work for anything creative at all? I had pieced these leftover 5" tumblers together ages ago, thinking they'd be a wonderful applique background. But it just never came together no matter how much I played with the idea. I had almost pitched the entire concept about a million times.
A background piece bites the dust
But I'm kinda stubborn and there was a tiny glimmer of something good in that piece. And you know how it {so rarely} happens, an idea just appeared out of practically nowhere. Finally. Next thing I knew, I was laying the larger tumbler piece out on the floor and wallah! cutting out a large basket. The tumbler background had quite suddenly become the {to-be appliqued} basket fabric! There was certainly no sleeping on it or carefully planning out of the details. It could have been terrifying, but frankly, I was having a ball. So very good of the tumbler piece to have enough left for the handle too. That's a good touch.
Liking it so much better as part of the applique
And once that was up on the wall, then of course I had to play with some applique. What is a basket centerpiece without a bit of applique? A dig through my applique leftovers and I was looking at the first flower. Too simple? Nahh....
There's always a flower
It just needs another one for balance. Maybe one that isn't even fully in bloom.
Or two....
And yes, it's that classic, red, white and blue look that I always go back to. It's a good, solid look that tides me over in times of low-intensity thinking sessions. I'm still playing around with the handle, stretching it out to make a taller basket, wondering and contemplating, trying to find the right red fabrics in my stash. These flowers will be too small once the seam allowance is turned under. Plus, I'm looking around my quilt room for the perfect background fabric. Why don't I figure out how to piece the tumbler basket into a background fabric you ask? Trust me, it's just easier to hand stitch. My brain hurts and I'm exhausted from last week. Hand stitching often goes a very long way toward easing out my very frazzled edges. And I'm addicted to it. Nuff said.*wink

26 comments:

  1. So, these five inch tumblers made into one gigantic basket - I love it! This is going to be such fun to see where your imagination takes it next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so terrific! Isn't it amazing how looking at something from a different angle can change the whole world? Or at least the whole quilt idea, anyway. 8)
    I'm having the best time lately thinking about applique blocks. In my mind, I'm filling your fabulous basket with big droopy flowers. I think I'm about ready to tackle an applique project of my own...

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course! what is a basket without some flowers! good job on recycling those tumblers. has happened to me more than once an idea just doesn't want to play out

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic basket! I'm sure you'll find the right flowers for it :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so good you held on to those tumblers a work of art you have created here. Reminds me I have a tumbler template somewhere another that has never been used

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fabulous idea. love it! sometimes a detour for our quilting is better than the original idea we had for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of that pieced background, looks like it was meant to be turned into a basket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea and looks as if you'd planned it from the get-go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Watching you make your quilts is entertaining...you certainly have a gift. And, "So very good of the tumbler piece to have enough left for the handle too" had me laughing and shaking my head. It is nice for the fabric to cooperate like that.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, love this! You know you're on the right track when there's no hesitation. Flowers are sprouting out all over, I feel spring in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I saw the first picture, I thought that Audrey was off on a space ship. Strange shapes for a quilt. The rest of the photos told the story. Delightful basket and love the story that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree that appliqueing it is the best way. It is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love when that lightbulb moment hits!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am crazy about this basket! Baskets have been tugging my attention for a while, this one may tip my balance.
    Well worked!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done! I think that basket was in the leftovers just waiting for someone like you to set it free. I love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great way to save a project that wasn't exciting you. Now it's going to be fabulous! Will be interested to see what background fabric you choose and if you add borders etc

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your stubbornness really paid off. I love the direction this is taking and I have no doubt there will be more fun surprises along the way. I love the way your brain works!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, love what you came up with! It looks like spring is blooming in your studio. The added extra is that wonderful handle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just love the red flowers in the basket. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant and beautiful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Voila! Another great save. I love it. And, I wholeheartedly agree about applique vs piecing. Can't wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a great idea for a unique basket!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's definitely "nuff said"!!! It looks gorgeous too - isn't it wonderful how we often come back to the same colour combinations? I've got a border to make for a grandma's flower garden and want to do it needle-turn. You're making me itch to get on with it, but I've got to get these others quilted first, aargh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. just doing a big catch up with your latest posts...renovating a investment property & renovating our 32 yr old bathroom, means not a lot of time for reading blogs or sewing. Love your idea with using the tumbler blocks as a basket.....and I have enjoyed reading your last few posts and following your progress with your sewing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.