Friday, October 23, 2015

Old Fashioned Strings in Fall 2015 Blogger's Quilt Festival

Old Fashioned Strings is my second entry into the Blogger's Quilt Festival. This is a scrappy little quilt made directly out of my scrap bin so it seemed fitting to enter it into the Scrappy Quilts Category!
Old Fashioned Strings
It was great fun to try and use up some leftover bits and pieces, plus this was the first ever string quilt I'd ever attempted!
Always looking so cozy
Old Fashioned Strings is hand quilted with #8 and #12 Valdani Perle Cotton thread in a very loose Kantha stitching style throughout each block. I love the simplicity of the this kind of stitching against the scrappy bits. And honestly, this quilt just makes my heart melt a little every time I use it or see it or see myself using it. I'm sure you get the idea...
Simple stitching....
To find out more about how the blocks were sewn together you can go here. They were really, really easy to put together and I've often wondered if it's time to attempt another?
And another view....
After all, I do have about a gazillion more fabric scraps taking up space in my quilt room.... Go ahead and check out all the other wonderful quilts entered into the Festival! It should keep you busy for a couple days at least. And if you'd like to see my other Festival entry, go here.

15 comments:

  1. I made up some strings blocks just like these last year and can't decide on the solid I want to use to sash and border them! Seeing yours is inspiring me to do some shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it ! I am trying to decide what to put in for a second entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt too.....has a very vintage feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilting is lovely. So, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt just has that soft, squishy, warm and comfy look that says 'wrap up in me'! Love scrappy string quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old-fashioned is a good name for it because it looks vintage and cozy and warm and scrappy and just downright comfortable...who wouldn't want this over them on a chilly night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see this one again, I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you've used some brights, especially reds, but this quilt reads to me as calm, not bright and busy. I think that's because you controlled the color palette so well. It looks like an inviting, restful, comforting quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quilt : ) I just finished piecing a string quilt tonight. It is not nearly as lovely as yours but perhaps it will be loved by someone. Mine will be a charity quilt for a child. I will be pinning your quilt to my Pinterest board (For the love of Strings) as a someday project ;) I just love all the little pieces. Thanks for sharing Janita

    ReplyDelete
  10. This really is one of my favorites of your quilts! Love scrap quilts anyway and in this one I really like all the colors and the specs of red.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so simple but really effective use of scraps - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! And especially your Kantha style quilting. I looked at your post about how you made the blocks and couldn't quite follow what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really is hard to beat a good scrap quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOOh! I love this quilt. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.