Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Prep Work For the Holiday and My Low Volume Blocks

I tried to get some prep work done in time for the holiday.  Not sure if I'll actually work on anything with so much family coming in, but it pays to be prepared!  I only have a little bit left to do for my borders on the 9-patch series #4 (less than a quarter of a panel left!) and then I will move on to this project.
Border work on Scrap Attack #2
I cut the trunks of the trees out on the bias because it gives just a bit of added interest.  I know, they are extremely small and the fabric is a very neutral colored plaid, but I will notice and appreciate the detail.  And hopefully the bird will actually look like a bird after I'm done with it too.*wink
Scrap Attack #3--Low Volume
Here are some of my Low Volume improv. blocks made last weekend.  I am considering ideas for how to set them into a quilt.  My quilting room looks like a tornado went through it with all the scraps, threads and shreds of cut-off pieces strewn about.  Proof that real work gets done here!
And a few more.....
These blocks are not perfectly balanced, but somehow I managed to sew 56 blocks straight out of my scrap bin!!  Color me amazed.  Honestly, I almost gave in at the last and raided my fabric stash.  It was getting a little hairy scary with all the itsy bitsy pieces!
56 blocks ready to go!
It's not gonna be fun to work with these blocks considering the off grain piecing, but I intend to use a lot of pins and be super careful with them.  Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving weekend!  I know I have lots to be thankful for.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been busy. Looking forward to seeing how you set all these great scrap blocks. It’s always amazing to see what can be done with scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 56! That is amazing!
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving to you and all of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun project!
    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Low Volume blocks look great! That is a lot of scraps you used up! Good for you! Setting them together - yes, lots of pins and taking your time will make it smoother.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.