Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Little Bit of This and That

I've been working on little bits and pieces of several projects this week.  As you can see, I managed to cut out letters for my Tulip quilt.  Letters are not my favorite thing to applique, all the little nooks and corners, but they usually finish nicely if they get some tender loving care.  I have these all ready to go when the appropriate moment arrives to work on them, curves snipped and all.  It helps to have the prep work out of the way so I can better take advantage of my sometimes (tiny) window of opportunity.
Testing, testing, testing....
We already have some family in for the holidays (yay!!), so time to quilt is few and far between.  Hand work; however,  is something that can usually be squeezed in somewhere.  Thank goodness.  Otherwise my kids would probably sit me down on the couch, bring me my quilting stuff and beg me to relax.  Maybe not.  I don't think they're quite that forward thinking at this point in their lives.  hehe They'll learn.
One frame at a time is progress gained.
I finally went with a oldish looking green fabric for binding on the quilt below.  It's not old at all, it just has that oh so basic chintz-like pattern on the fabric that helps it fade away.  I'm not one for matching my binding with the border, although sometimes it seems like it would be the easy way out.  I kept trying different fabrics until I found something that I thought added to the quilt without stealing any of it's thunder.  This quilt somehow keeps reminding me of a Holly Hobby coloring book I had when I was a little girl, filled with little Holly Hobby girls in various settings with a lovely quilt on every page.  I colored in that book very carefully with coloring pencils, so everything was very muted unless I really made an extra effort to make something bright.  Hmmm, I didn't realize I was trying to relive my childhood through fabrics.....
Binding not looking so hot right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.