Friday, July 13, 2018

A Great Summer Finish!

Although I am feeling a bit helpless in the wake of wanting to start so many new projects, my main focus has still been on finishing. Vintage Red was started in 2015 and now, three years later, it is a true blue finish! 
Vintage Red is completed!
I zeroed in on this red solid somewhere in my shopping because I've always, always admired that bold, vintage zing that make so many scrappy quilts shine. My quilt top didn't end up being a scrap bin type of quilt, but I tried to incorporate lots of fabrics into it. My motto has always been, the more fabrics the merrier!
Another 2018 finish
The applique flowers were just a whim, something that I drew up one day and thought, 'Hmmm, this might actually work!' And indeed, in this bright red, they might actually do the heavy lifting.*wink
Nothing like a little applique to make me smile!
I had hoped to be able to put this quilt into this summer's quilt show, but my stitch-in-the-ditch quilting efforts are very marginal. It's a good thing that I added my usual Perle cotton stitching, or I'd be very upset. As it is, you have to be the picky maker of the quilt to even care much. Isn't if funny how much we see our own mistakes and weaknesses? It's like they are blinking at us in neon yellow!
Hand quilting always makes things look a little better....
I'm very happy with the fact that this feels very much like an Audrey quilt. That text fabric, the simple applique flowers, the vintage/mixed modern feel to to it all. Tho I won't subject myself to quilt show perusal, I'm calling it a win.
All washed up and crinkly looking, just the way I like them!
I'm thinking it needs to be the next quilt to grace our bed. Something about it makes me think that it might be making me smile for a good long while....

26 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a grand finish! It is a gorgeous quilt, and one I am definitely tempted to copy - it's just that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this turned out so beautifully-- and the red is, as you say, perfect..BEAUTIFUL FINISH AUDREY--HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your finish!! so pretty and I love all those colors you used

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm calling it a win, too! LUV that plaid backing - it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vintage Red looks like a blue ribbon winner to me. I totally agree, the more fabrics included the better

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a wonderfully, perfectly Audrey quilt indeed!

    lizzy

    btw also love your quilt in the hoop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's terrific, Audrey! Love it to pieces (and I hope you do just that!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great finish indeed! Love all the red, it does a real vintage vibe to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm calling it a win too! And I'm also smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's different .... it's vintage .... and I love it! great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is indeed an Audrey quilt - pure joy expressed in fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful finish! I remember the 'birth' of this quilt and have been with it for every step of its journey. Thank you for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've enjoyed reading your posts on the progress of this quilt. It is adorable and perfect in every detail. Congratulations on a terrific finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How crisp and lovely! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quilt and your Sunburst make me happy when I see them. Your work is such an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how this quilt turned out -- makes me smile, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, yes. Red was the right choice. It does make a difference in so many vintage quilts. Beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is really darling! yay for the finish! The red packs a punch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Definitely a win in my book too; it's one of those quilts that just makes me feel like breaking out into an idiotic grin every time I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great quilt! Congrats on your finish! I think this quilt is cute and whimsical, and very much an Audrey quilt! I think the red was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it - definitely a winner (no quilt judges needed to decide that). Congrats on a SUPER DUPER finish.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Definitely an Audrey quilt - just splendid and love the poppy red flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It’s such a happy quilt and your hand stitching makes it folky;). The red can’t be beat!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've always thought of this quilt as Audrey's Easter Egg quilt, still do! I love it! Fabulous finish, and so YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Vintage Red looks wonderful with all her crinkly hand quilted goodness :0) This is one of my favorites of yours! It makes me smile too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.