Tuesday, August 23, 2016

An August Bit of Play With Adhoc. Improv.

I often feel like I'm flittering and fluttering from project to project, much like a butterfly, never sticking for the long haul. Then, slowly but surely I begin to see things start pulling together and wowsers! Why should I do things any different when it's mostly working out for me? Besides, it's so much fun to play, don't you think?
Testing out a center applique idea
This summer-y looking set of pinweels is a result of starting in on another one of Sujata Shah's block sets in her 'Cultural Fusion' book. I haven't gotten very far. Mostly because I mixed things up and am working with 5 fabrics per block set, not 4. Which incidentally makes balancing the colors a challenge. Not sure where it's going or how excited I am with it, but I'll say it's growing on me. I absolutely love the addition of the vintage floral fabric. Trust me when I say that it does add depth to these funky blocks.
Wonky Pinwheels
And then I just couldn't resist any longer. This strings project has been nagging at me for literally months, so what's a girl to do? I went back to my book 'The Improv. Handbook' by Sherri Lynn Wood and refreshed my memory on how string sets might be formed. Yah, yah. Recommended to use the complete width of your yardage....
Improv. String Sets
Oh, I just balk at trying to cut 42" strips in any freehand sort of way. {Pretty amazing that I even had anything larger than a fatquarter!} But my mind sort of freezes up and says 'no!' Not enough room at my cutting counter and I do so hate moving fabric while in the midst of cutting. So I simply folded the fabric in half and then once the 21" length was cut, I sliced the narrow end off. There. That took care of the {worst of it} weird ripply off-bias result quite well and no time lost trying to maneuver partially cut fabric masses.

I made sure to add enough strips on the horizontal {me thinking ahead for once} so that each strip set would result in two 8 1/2" string blocks. Which I promptly stuck on the wall and admired as a potential basket. Oh yeah! First part of this particular mission accomplished--just as soon as I sew them all together. And all the leftover strippy pieces can be revamped into the basket handle too. What's a basket without a proper handle? Sorry about the bad color in photo below. Too much direct sunlight I suppose?
A new large basket emerging
And because I know you're all wondering, here's the all-sewn-up version of my Chunky Crossroads quilt--yet another set of blocks sewn from the Cultural Fusion book. Plain and simple but with so very much spark.*sigh Believe me, I was a teensy bit worried about that concrete gray dulling everything down! Love the imperfect matching up of each crossroads blocks in the corners and those limey greens--just yummm....
Chunky Crossroads quilt top
But you know it's not finished until the applique genie has made the final decision. hehe  Yes.... that's right. I'm contemplating adding on a border with some, gasp! applique details. 'Cuz that's the way my mind operates and really, it makes me happy in a folksy, primitive, quilty sorta way.

Okay. That's my Adhoc. Improv. wrap up for the month of August! I had to smile at Ann's mention of the 'need to quilt'. Such a real thing for so many of us! And taking off on that theme, have any of you read the latest installment of the derivative work discussion going on in blogland? I am personally enjoying the refreshinglyfrank look at how all of us {as whatever genre of quilters we happen to be} inspire and are inspired by others--regardless of the increasing dictatorial narrow view of the current 'modern' quilt leaders. Playing with fabric is what we do. There's bound to be some crossover and eventually, if we're dedicated and serious about our passion, a bright new spark of originality!

27 comments:

  1. Your happy fabric play has produced wonderful results!! I love that you've created a woven basket with your improv piecing. I'm off to read the latest installment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to go to your links to see what the fuss was about with the modern quilters -- ouch bet they loose some memberships over this. I have never been impressed with the modern quilt world -- seems a little to artsy for me - everyone is influenced by 100's of years of quilt making -- I have nothing against improv and think a lot of it is pretty neat - but I will stay away from entering as I know I am influenced by what I see and the design is not 100% me
    Love your quilts as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your free form free-thinking style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've followed and read the links about derivatives- I think the MQG has shot themselves in the foot on this one.
    Love your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you add a personal touch on all your project Audrey ! The basket is such a good idea to use improv' strings sheets. That will be perfect for some appliqué ... ;-) Your Crossroads quilt looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the lime greens and other colors in your Crossroads quilt. I checked out the links and was a bit surprised in that, if I entered a quilt into a quilt show ( Which would only be local, anyway ) and I had made the quilt from a purchased pattern, I would of course list the quilt pattern or designer but it would never occur to me to have to contact the designer to ask if I could enter the quilt. That seems a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're having waaay to much fun! And we love seeing what happens with all of your slightly wonky blocks. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dearly love Sujata's book and have made several of the designs with a couple more on my horizons. LIKE the use of five fabrics instead of four in your project (even if it is tricky). And thank you for the link to 13 spools!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you certainly have been "a buzz" this summer. Great blocks and I love the applique circles in the center. Your basket is so improv and so unique. I just love watching your creative brain work! That lime green is making me want to shop for some!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the crossroads will look Awesome with an applique border. I love that structure of a pieced centre with applique around. I found with my purple quilt Tranquil that an odd number of fabrics in the stack makes things more interesting. Plenty going on here! Nice to see. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, how many improv projects is that now? I really like your pinwheels with 5 fabrics - maybe harder to balance but it's effective. I love that you are using your string blocks to make a basket - again that seems so you; you are taking the same starting point as lots of other people but heading completely in your own direction. And I can't wait to see Chunky Crossroads with an applique border (I really love this colour combination too). As for the derivatives thing, looks like it's going to run on for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Chunky Crossroads top just pops with those yummy greens, and I think the charcoal greys add some wonderful depth. Looking forward to seeing the applique genie strike this one! I'm very happily oblivious to all the self-appointed quilt police, and never enter shows for just that reason. Anything that takes away the joy of playing with our fabrics can just be shoved back into a dark corner where it belongs! And, as the Good Book said, thousands of years ago "there's nothing new under the sun."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to see what lovely quilt tops you have been working on. I like the crossroads and the one with the 5 colors per block, they look great. Many greetings

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOh, you have fun projects going on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're at it again, having fun and playing, and being open to where the fabric and pattern leads you. I'm oblivious to latest disturbance in the quilt world. Too bad there has to be any.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Audrey I just love all the creations you make, never change! Hugs,, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your projects are always so fun and creative and inspiring. And despite what the 'derivative' crowd say, I think inspiring is a GOOD thing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a good post, Audrey. I like your use of five fabrics rather than four. Even though it's harder to balance, the increased randomization is worth it. I cut mine deliberately curved but like your straighter cuts better. The blocks finish larger. Something to try next time.
    I had trouble cutting strings WOF, too. Mine worked better using half-width. So glad we thought alike there. I'm ready to start another one.
    Which brings me to you main point - flittering from project to project. Oh, goodness. Just restarting quilting again. It's hard to hold myself from new projects while so many remain UFOs. Maybe I can finish some oldies quickly. Too many new ideas to wait long - like the crossroads quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally, thanks for linking with AHIQ. It's always good to see what everyone is doing on the utility/improv front.

      Delete
  19. great color combo on chunky crossroads...gray is such a versatile neutral....really pretty

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the scrappy goodness of all these projects! The colors / prints in the cultural fusion ones are particularly fun! I'm with you on the flitting and fluttering! I may move around a lot, have many things in the fire at once but I still end up with a respectable number of finishes when all is said and done. That's my process and I'm sticking to it! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful selection of projects to be working on! That vintage floral is perfect thrown into your pinwheels. And, I love the lime green, grey & pinks palette of your 'chunky crossroads'... you've got me curious now to see what you have in mind for the applique border!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok, I was certain I had left a comment on this post and said how much I love the colors and combinations of the chunky crossroads quilt. Did I dream that? Without a doubt it was user error, it always is the case with me. Sheesh. Anyway, I wanted to add that I just noticed the quilt in the frame! I am so excited that you are quilting that one!!! I just adore it. Now I'll just go back to lalaland. Apparently that's where I've been spending my time lately. So embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Audrey, your improv string sets as a basket will look amazing, I can't wait to see your process with this one. Those limey greens in your chunky crossroads quilt top look fab.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I especially like your chunky crossroads and the color scheme.

    Your pinwheels remind me of Vintage Spin blocks from Kathy Doughty's (Material Obsession) book. I like so many different fabrics to the block. Most of those stack and whack blocks are a lot of fun to see what develops when you move fabrics around in the stack.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.