Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Vintage Reproduction is in the Home Stretch Now!

I can't believe how fast the hand quilting has went on the last border of the Vintage Reproduction quilt! Yesterday I finished up and wallah! There I was ironing off the quilt marking. I had to be careful because I used a blue wash-out marking pen on the corner bird blocks and those particular markings cannot handle excess heat.
Ironing marks off the last border of Vintage Reproduction.
I ended up using 'Miracle Marker' on the last border because I needed a light colored quilting line and I thought it would be quicker than trying to use one of my white pencils.  The marking lines are a little rougher than a pencil, but that sort of thing doesn't bother me much.  Nothing about my quilts are ever going to be perfect! In fact, *groan, I ended up noticing two spots (see where I put the safety pins?) that needed a quick fix.  I was doing so much of the hand quilting in the evening with less than wonderful lighting, working with black thread on a dark purple border and the rest of the story pretty much writes itself. Yep, it was impossible to leave 'as is' and hope nobody would ever notice....
Uh oh, problems with the quilting...
This quilt needs to be done by Friday, July 19th in order to be entered into our local quilt show and I'm feeling good about making that deadline now. I checked out several different colors for possible binding use.  This is a tough one.  I kind of like the cheddar yellow, but then it almost seems to dull the quilt down in an odd sort of way? Pink is definitely out--too much of that in the quilt.  Blue is bland, green is pathetic, and black disappears. Agghhh!!  I finally decided to try lavender.
Found a binding that might work for the
Vintage Reproduction.
I didn't have any really amazing lavender fabrics, but then I remembered a box of abandoned binding my mom gave to me years and years ago.  It was all wadded up in a ball, strings everywhere from where she tears the fabric, but yes! There was one long piece (over 300 inches) of a lavender binding! I had to spend quite a bit of time cutting threads, smoothing it out, ironing it and then cutting it down to the size of binding I prefer (2 5/8"). All I need now is about 43" more inches of something that will blend in and I'm set! Love these frugal finds! lol
Getting the next quilt in the hoop!
I've already put the next quilt in the hoop. You know me. Always have to have something ready to work on when I'm in the mood! This is the #2 in the 9-patch series that I did the machine quilting on the other day. There are just 12 sampler blocks that I left un-quilted with the idea of coming back and hand quilting them on a later date. Which is now of course, because the hoop is empty and would probably feel lonely and useless without a quilt in it.*wink

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! You've inspired me to get something back in the hoop again. I'll look forward to seeing the finished project, binding and all. I love the story about your mother leaving that binding for you--just the perfect thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you didn't waste any time getting the next one in the frame! I do think this one that you are binding might be one of my favorites. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your phrase " frugal.finds". It's a treat when you find just the right fabric and you already have it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cheddar fabric under the blue bird really makes it pop. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Audrey! I'm anxious to see the finished quilt. Love the abandoned binding you found from your Mom's collection... it's been waiting all these years to grace a real beauty... the day has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deadlines are great...aren't they? Love the fact that you're using mom's binding! It WAS waiting and FOUND a home! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on meeting your deadline, I hope we get to see a photo of your quilt on display in the show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it that you are not into 'perfect' and great story on the binding. Isn't this what quilts are all about?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fancy finding that lovely lavender binding! How wonderful! And I love your quilt in the hoop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilts are looking fantastic. I have never heard of Miracle Marker and had to look it up. Sounds like something I should try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your quilts always look great. I have been trying to quilt every evening for about an hour to make progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good idea to mix machine and hand quilting. I haven't done that yet. You have plenty of time to meet your deadline. I can't wait to see the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes the binding choice is a hard one, I'm glad you found the lavendar. It's going to be fabulous from what I can see so far.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If there are mistakes in that quilt, I sure can't see them. Your quilting is fantastic! I know what you mean tho, it there's "one" stitch that's too big or too small, it will bug me and I'll go back and take it out and re-do it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I look forward seeing your quilt hang in the show! How cool to use the binding in your stash - it was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.