Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Vintage Lily

It was rainy, gray day when I tried to take these pictures. Really a shame, because this {now finished} quilt top looks much more vibrant than the pictures might indicate. Vintage Lily was started sometime in the fall of last year. Kaja got me started on this particular color palette with two different quilts of hers that just sorta pulled me in and made me long to play.
Vintage Lily is a finished quilt top!
At first there was a fabric stack {probably started much earlier in the year?} pulled directly from my stash of course. That simmered for a very long time. It slowly attracted like-fabrics into the stack, and occasionally, kicked one out that didn't quite gel. I absolutely wanted a old time/vintage feel to the quilt, which isn't as easy as it might seem. Throughout those months, I carefully added in several shirting fabrics. A few came from second hand stores, one directly from my sons closet and another was a shirt he wore as a toddler! There were many vintage-look florals and/or prints tossed in and out, but it wasn't until after the fall quilt show though, that the initial 'start' to this quilt finally happened.

The overall approach to this quilt almost eluded me forever as I had great difficulty in being able to see the entire look and feel in my minds eye. How to start, how to start? Sometimes that is the greatest struggle of all--making sure that those carefully gathered stacks of fabric reach their best potential. It's a very common theme around here. In fact, at this moment in time, there are probably seven or eight stacks of carefully collected fabrics sitting around my quilt room. Just waiting for that perfect storm of inspiration and motivation!
Trying to determine if I like it.....
I used the 'Cultural Fusion' book as to the formula for making the simple improv. blocks in this quilt. There were similar blocks in the Scrappy Tulips quilt, but those little corner bits came straight out of the scrap bin. I loved that particular snowball border solution so much, but wowsers, lots and lots of extra cutting. Very time consuming! Sujata's method, tho involving lots of trimming after the blocks are sewn, is a bit more streamlined in terms of cutting and piecing. This seemed to work very well with the limited color palette going on here too. All I had to do for this 'look', was adjust the cutting in the block formula to get the smaller corners I wanted. The imperfection of the corners {that I love so much} is built right into the formula.
Testing, testing....
And one wonderful thing about getting all the blocks trimmed up after being sewn, is the rows go together very fast. It would've been even faster if I hadn't had to remove one row from each side of the quilt while it was still in the large unit stage. Miscalculation in my rough diagram.*grr  In the end, I didn't like the proportion of the finished quilt top either. There was an exact repeat amount of blocks radiating out from the centerpiece, and in person, it looked a little odd. Even to my no-opinions-about-quilts {haha} husband, it was something that needed changed. This just made me grit my teeth to think of getting out the seam ripper again. Oh just let me think about this for a minute or two, surely there's another solution! And thankfully there was. I decided on a whim to fold the edges of the quilt over and see what it looked like with a smidgen of those rows chopped off.
Making a minor adjustment...
And it was all decided in a matter of minutes. Yes! to cutting the blocks in half at the sides of the quilt! Me, the frugal, don't-want-to-waste-any-fabric-ever kind of quilter, happily chopping off the sides of a quilt. It simply boggles the mind.....
Vintage Lily
Gotta love the end result though. Somehow all the elements that I was originally inspired with translated into a good thing. Makes me feel sorta warm and fuzzy honestly! Linking up to Koka Quilts and JulieLou at sew, stitch, snap, SHARE!

19 comments:

  1. This looks great, I love the colours, your corners and those little triangles really POP on the cream background.I must get that book from my library - sounds very inspiring. Thanks for linking to Sew,Stitch, Snap, SHARE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely quilt. Snowball blocks are not my favorite but they look so good in this quilt. Warm greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. The triangle border, dots, and concentric squares pull me in. The irregularity of the snowballs supports the feel for me of old, loved fabric. This is an intriguing piece I'd want to just sit and contemplate, and I'm assuming that was your intention. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how this turned out!! As always, I so enjoy the story behind the quilt! Very inspiring!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! I love everything about it; from the pieced background of the lily to the cut off edge. It turned out great. It looks like it will be fun to quilt, an added bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful top! Your fingers must be itching to start quilting it :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, another fantastic top. I especially love the little appliqued circles around the border. Just can't resist circles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fat snowball blocks with tiny corners! And that basket fabric is just so vintage and homey. Another great flimsy. And I'd be willing to bet there are already plans afoot for those cut-off half-snowballs. Somewhere, somehow, we'll be seeing them again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who would have thought the solution was to "chop off" rather than "add on", or even "take off". It sure did work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this quilt! The centre is gorgeous and the snowball blocks look perfect with it. And I agree with Kyle - who would have thought a chop off would work?? Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Reading through your post, I can see all the thought that's gone into this, I am in awe of all the ideas you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The chopping solution worked wonderfully / love the colors in this !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely love the end result! The border looks old fashioned as 1/2 blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you have chopped a bit off your borders! I also love the collection of fabrics you have ended up with, they really do get you that vintage feel. Funnily enough I am mulling over a quilt inspired by one of your colour palettes right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love the center medallion - best Carolina Lily I've ever seen! And you are right...it's a lovely color scheme that does make the quilt look rather vintage. Congrats on another beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please show us the '7 or 8 stacks of fabric sitting around'!!! I need inspiration, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Following the progression of your wonderful quilts is very inspiring. I save your blog posts to read when I can give them my full attention as I want to soak up all the details!
    Your explanations about how you create and what you like and want is just wonderful, thank you so much I really really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The chopping solution worked wonderfully / love the colors in this !

    RoyalRuby

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.