Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Random Sampler Is a Finish!

Things always slow down in the fall, that's what I've been telling myself for months. So here we are and it still feels like we are careening from one week right into the next. I ended up in Portland this past weekend and snuck in a little visit to my youngest sister. Did I do any hand work that was prepped and sitting in my bag?
Random Sampler
Um, no. I was too busy trying to keep from shivering half to death. It's usually 10 degrees warmer in Western Oregon than what we deal with here in Eastern Washington, but that cold damp air! Brr...

Can you believe how far we are into November? I keep walking around in a fog just blown away by how close we are to Thanksgiving already! This quilt was one I was absolutely determined to get finished up this year and it's always had an expected Thanksgiving deadline--at least in my mind. Yikes! So, knowing this quilt was so crazy close to a finish, I knuckled down and finally got the binding figured out and all sewn on. Love the leftover binding tote for quilts like this--didn't have to dig into the stash at all and the work is half done already!
So good to have this one finished!
This is definitely one of my oldest unfinished quilt tops. Started sometime in 2012 from one of the first online QAL's I ever joined up with and one that almost got sidelined completely. It got bogged down sometime after most of the original blocks were finished {how to put the puzzle together and have it look good???} and then it was quite awhile before the quilt top itself was finally sewn together. The large applique basket block was an orphan block that just begged to be incorporated into the quilt and I've never regretted that. It helps give the quilt personality! Also, it's good to remember that all through the making of this particular project, I constantly referred to Gwen Marston's 'Liberated Medallion Quilts' book. It's a lovely, wonderful book to have on the shelf if you like to do your own thing.
A little bit of hand quilting on the applique basket...
I still love the calm, cozy colors in this quilt. Somehow that creamy white just helped make the quilt glow instead of  getting overwhelmed by the dark undertones in most fall fabrics. It's a trap I fall into a lot of times, loving these colors but not quite get the balance right. And I adore the use of plaids, something you'll see me gravitate to over and over again. Overall, it just feels like an inviting quilt and that feels like a win.
Love seeing then hanging off the railing....
Because it was such a busy, busy quilt, I ended up machine quilting it in simple vertical lines and then went back and hand quilted the larger basket block with perle cotton. There was one big pucker in the back of the quilt that I tried to think would be okay to ignore. I even took the colored thread off the cone and replaced it with my usual white thread. But no. It was just too bad to wink at. Couldn't leave it be! Ugghh.. Hate having to rewind the other thread and change out the bobbin again and just for a few inches of thread. The funny thing was, somehow I ended up folding another part of the quilt into the 'fix' and then had a horrible mess on my hands. No I did not take a picture because I was just too furious! lol  In the end, I had two fixes {well, actually three after fixing the place where it was caught} and it took lots of extra time that I was sure would have been better spent elsewhere.

But now I can be happy with it and thankfully it washed up beautifully. I'm always bracing myself for red dye issues these days! So glad I went ahead and pushed myself to get this one done by this fall. It's too nice to be sitting folded up in a drawer for years. And yes, I have bounced around a lot this year, from project to project and all different looks and styles. It's all about having different projects in different stages so as to always have something to work on--no matter the crazy things going on in my life. And getting things finished up. Doesn't it feel wonderful to wrap up a years-in-the-making sort of project?

31 comments:

  1. I love making quilts out of leftover blocks and that basket is perfect! I love that you added hand quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great orphan block quilt! Nice job for getting it completed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how this turned out and you're right, the warm white is a perfect accent to the darker toned fabrics. I, too, cringe when I have to wash a finished quilt. I always pre-shrink everything so if it doesn't bleed I use it. But, I've still had scary bleeding issues occasionally happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Random Sampler sew-along sure had a lot of different blocks. I vaguely remember it but was just starting my blog at the time and didn't participate. I like that you added your applique basket. Looking more closely at the photos it looks like some of the browns are really dark purples? I love the quilt's autumn tones. Congrats on another finish. Will you have finished 17 this year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. love how the quilt looks - sorry you had trouble on the back I hate it when that happens - luckily for me the few times it did I knew when I washed and dried it that it would become "antique" looking and nice and crinkly as the area was small.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely cozy quilt with all those orphans becoming a wonderful family. Sorry about the wrinkle, but it seems you worked it out. It's nice to get another finish for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is nice to finish our projects. The white does help this quilt from becoming dull and dark. Like you, I love adding plaids. How good to see the quilt that transitioned you from following directions to changing to changing arrangements. The point where we become confident enough to develop our own designs is an important milestone. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes it is nice to finish things, congrats! I love the way you have put these orphan blocks together, those plaids fit right in too! I have two Gwennie books, so inspiring, I especially love the pinwheel/logcabin idea, and so tempted to just jump right in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love this quilt. It is definitely an inviting quilt. The basket is delightful. Glad you finished it to share it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's lovely! Perfect for autumn cruising into winter, and I'm glad it's finally finished to enjoy it. It's was a little funny reading through about your boo boos in the backing. Puts me in the mind of a difficult labor and birth or at least that's what I think when I look back at some I've made. There are some that just struggle to be delivered! Patience are not easy to come by when you're that close to a well earned finish. Now enjoy your Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another beautiful quilt and with colors that fit with the season. And the orphan block feels just right. lovely quilt. Warm greetings

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous quilt! And you can relax and enjoy turkey and pumpkin pie knowing you reached your goal with time to spare.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely finish--I like your colors in this "sampler" type piece. I have never made this type of quilt--(those blocks with any kind of angles have kept me scared off) Nice job hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are doing great with all of your finishes! I wish I were as disciplined when it comes to finishing quilts. It's not that I don't have enough flimsies to choose from. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Argh! I hate it when I have to take something out and fix it. I guess that is why I give so many "mistakes" away! Good for you for fixing it as this one is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The basket was a perfect addition to this lovely fall quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's gorgeous / love the color scheme / perfect to finish up around this time of year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely finish! Perfect for the season. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great finish as we slide into winter. So soft and cozy warm looking! You did a great job with block placement and the applique block is so You! Perfectly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous Finish! It's like a Medley, a mixture of songs about Fall! Really wonderful colors and movement!

    ReplyDelete
  21. For sure, this is a beauty! Its so warm and cozy looking and you always inspire me to get busy and finish something.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A lovely finish and a cosy quilt to snuggle into!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your quilt turned out beautifully ... as always! It reminds me a bit of a quilt top that I finished a couple of years ago and, for the life of me, now cannot find to quilt. Ugh! Such is my life! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  24. great great finished sampler!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations - lovely, cosy-looking finish. Like you I am slightly panicked by the speed with which this year is sliding away from me - I'm sure it should only be July right now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love it. Such a harmony of colors and patterns. Lucky you that you have finished it. Pushes me towards my ufos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! Yes, I likee! Too funny about your messy messy! I just worked on one of those too. I'm happy you have it all finished now. I kind of shocked myself yesterday when I realized Thanksgiving is Thursday already! This year just seemed to ZOOM by!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is an amazing quilt! I love the orphan block--it really does add something special to the beauty and the design. All those flying geese!! You did such a great job fitting everything together.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful quilt, lovely colors,perfect for fall! Makes me want to join up all my block rejects, and figure out a setting!!
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely gorgeous. Wish I had access to that old QAL back in 2012! That's my kind of quilt!! Great job! ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.