Friday, October 13, 2017

Always An Excuse Handy to Start a New Quilt

Although the picture is a bit deceptive, please believe me when I say this hst medallion is actually square. Every added border is definitely an experience though. Wowsers! I certainly don't have the most accurate piecing skills these days after playing with so much improv. in the last couple years...
Hst Medallion
Not sure what I think about the first blue hst border, but I'm gonna leave it be until the next couple rounds of pink and blue are added. They are going to be switching back and forth every other row so hopefully it will all make perfect sense eventually.

It was interesting to pull out the next potential quilt tops slated for sandwiching and quilting. There are a couple ones older than these {of course}, but I just couldn't bring myself to care too much. Apparently I am in the mood to work on fallish looking quilts, but maybe not drown myself in browns like the two quilt tops I am steadfastly ignoring. We shall see. For now I am just contemplating.
So many choices
I also jumped into another brand new project. This one is a little different than  what normally happens around here these days. Uh huh. I am mostly attempting to follow a pattern. Yeah, crazy stuff! It's from the Quilt Sampler Fall & Winter 2013 magazine--a very simple and straightforward pattern that should go together super fast with no major design boondoggles and hopefully just lots of mindless sewing.
Straight & Narrow, a new start
I need want a quilt to 'gift' to someone and there is nothing in my quilt stacks or even the quilt top drawers that will work. It needs to be very nice looking but honestly, perhaps a bit bland? Just not thinking the recipient would be pleased with one of my more creative adventures. I went digging around in the binders where I store quilt inspiration from magazines and found this pattern. It's a little modern looking but when it's made up in these particular fabrics, I think it will present more 'formal' than modern looking. And that's okay. Nothing wrong with that.
The cut list
As usual I had to re-write the cut-list. It really helps me to not make weird mistakes and mess up those precious bits of fabric. I'm actually really happy to be using these {mostly} older looking fabrics and look forward to how this quilt might look in the end. And too, I've already made a mental note to make changes to the long vertical strips of chunky crosses. IF, and I say 'if', they remain in the quilt, they will have to be sewn into the quilt in an applique process rather than piecing. There is a subtle, but cool looking reproduction fabric that wants to be the background for that particular strip of fabric. It won't look good with lots of seams so..., I guess I'll be making some changes and not following the pattern to a T. Did you really think that was possible with me? Oh well, I'm getting the cart before the horse because I certainly don't intend to do anything with that part of the quilt until all the rest is sewn together. Onward ho! Still scratching my head that I'm actually making a quilt for someone specific. I don't do that. Like ever.....

17 comments:

  1. Splendid choices of fabrics! I do love the blues with the neutrals. It has a nice calming effect when it is all made up. I struggle with those blues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the picture of the quilt you're about to make. I want to make a quilt for a friend, and have the fabric but can not find the right pattern... it will have to wait a bit longer. Warm greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. you sound like me - making a quilt for someone - I normally go through the stacks too - unless it is for one of my grandchildren or daughters and they know if they want something specific they will need to wait months for it to be done

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always re-write my cutting list , too !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always re-write my cutting list and my knitting pattern repeats...to be checked off...I find myself trying to tailor a gift quilt to the recipient too--don't enjoy that as much as doing "my own thing". Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I am laughing out loud. Sounds like you've made more progress on a pattern than I have made in the last 20 years! Nice colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I like the blue HST border, hope you leave it in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh that medallion will be fabulous ! and I'm voting for the quilt on the far left with the cute red flower in the corner for your next quilting project :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like where you are going with the medallion quilt. Also looking forward to seeing progress on your latest quilt great color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the start of your hst medallion. Enjoy picking your next hand quilting project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All I can say about the HST medallion is that you are brave! Mine would be a wonky mess! I know just what you mean about making something specifically for someone. I spent the weekend on a baby quilt for my daughter - yes, my daughter and I was still nervous that she might not see it the way I do. Aren't we quilters funny?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your HST Medallion looks square to me and loving the colours in it. When I read you were following a magazine pattern I was waiting for the....."but I might...." !! Go Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how the medallion is growing. I shy away from making quilts for anyone other than family; things change so much as I go along. I like the fabrics you are cutting but it's hard to imagine you making a bland quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your medallion and the colors look great.
    Your new project's fabrics are lovely! Should be interesting to see what you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving your HST Medaillion! Great colours, and it certainly looks square to me too! Your little pile of new project fabrics looks interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I love the picture of all your quilts waiting in line.

    And I wondered what you were talking about with plus signs. Hah...my eyes are bad...when I enlarged the photo I saw them but before that I saw them as circles, not plus signs. I like the color scheme you chose. I rarely pull all the fabrics for a quilt at the beginning nor cut all at once.

    Looks like you are not tired yet of HSTs...that's coming along nicely I see.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.