Thursday, September 21, 2017

Fall 2017 Bloggers Quilt Festival: Flocks of Geese

Okay, here we go! This is my second entry into Amy's Bloggers Quilt Festival! There are a lot of entries, so I am planning on catching up by this weekend. Flocks of Geese is a brand new finish so thought this was a good way to show it off.
Flocks of Geese
This quilt was another one started in 2014, but was finally put into the hoop in August of this year. It's a little different style than what you might expect from me, but I think you'll find parts and pieces of my quilting 'voice' regardless! I'm honestly not sure what propelled me to start in on this quilt, but for sure, I remember the taupe, linen-like background fabric {for the geese} was part of the initial motivation. What to do with this beautiful fabric? And then it sort of evolved as always.
Looking at the stitching!
I stole the bird pattern from another quilt I had finished up early in 2013. There's just something about that bird template that just makes me happy and it seemed like it could add a certain amount of necessary whimsy lacking in this quilt. Just a quick photo-copy and reduction in size and wallah!, the bird fit perfectly into these six inch blocks.
Love how sparky it looks....
Generally I'm not one to fuss too much about the backing fabric, getting by with clearance fabrics and random chunks of fabric I've fallen out of love with. If the colors blend and the pattern isn't too offensive, then it's a go for use as backing fabric. And you wondered why I rarely show the backs of my quilts?

This time I made sure the backing fabric was in a color and print that added to the overall look and feeling of the quilt. Having used that dull grey-brown fabric throughout the quilt, I knew a rich looking backing fabric was key to, well, loving the quilt. {It also has about a half yard of a blue/white plaid up in the corner.} It was a bit flat looking compared to most of my efforts and honestly, none of my family really likes it. They say things like 'That's nice' or 'I like other quilts of yours better'. Wah! Just kidding. I much prefer my family to be honest and not shower me with false platitudes.
Washed and crinkly straight of the dryer, but still a bit damp...
I did make sure to add several different light through medium colors of green for the binding in order add another level of interest. It needed that bit of spark on the outside edge. Between that and the hand quilting, it finally had enough texture and interest to make me happy. All the flying geese blocks have a straight line stitching through the middle of the geese {in various colors of blue and green thread} and the wide sashing has a overlapping circle design in a darker variegated blue and/or wine colored thread. Most of the thread in this quilt is Valdani #8 or 12, my absolute favorite threads to use. Beautiful thread. I think that's part of why this quilt feels more like 'me' now that it's done. I know this stitching! We have many secrets together....

For those of you that are interested, I have another entry in the festival as well... Scrappy Tulips. More my 'normal' style I suppose. And why not check out all of the other great quilts too? I've found some good blogging friends this way! As always, a big thank you to Amy for putting this festival togehter!

24 comments:

  1. I like this combination of dull and bright fabrics. I wasn't sure how those large brown areas would work but as usual, you've done a wonderful job.
    You and Linda have convinced me to link up with the festival, too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, especially with those birds in between.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this one - my second entry was the final frontier from your challenge of circles! still have to thank you for that challenge as I do love my quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the subtleness of this quilt. It's quiet but definitely not boring. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pretty birds and how they echo the flying geese pattern! Great job:). I just found you from your kind comment on my blog itsatsweetsday.blog. It's always nice to meet a fellow quilter❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you always explain how you make your quilting decisions. It makes me think as I read, kind of an interactive blogging process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The linen adds so much...love this quilt, and your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the birds, the quiet colours, and the backing fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work with all those geese! Great colours and the quilting is a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the flock of geese quilt very much, a bit unusual colors but somehow not drap but interesting and sparkling. The other entry, the scrappy tulips I love them every time I see them. It is such a happy quilt. Warm greetings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you are lucky that your family even acknowledges your quilts. Mine has long since stopped noticing! I love the quilting in this one and I agree that that bird just makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a neat pattern with flying geese and the birds! The hand quilting is a lovely touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love flying geese! Great job and impressive hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. How did I miss this one?? (must not have been paying attention?) I LOVE it!

    Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This still feels like an Audrey quilt to me, and I love all those little touches you have pointed out, especially the rich colour of the backing, but also the binding and the hand quilting (and I really like those overlapping circles too!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent choice. I love flying geese, and these birds add so much to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the birds, they really do add that touch of whimsy and interest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hand quilting?? Wow!! You did such a nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Flying Geese is a favourite of mine always, your appliqued birds add a whole new look!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The fabric for the little birds -- gorgeous! I love the teal with the green and the wonderful grey sashing fabric. I generally think of you making large blocks so it surprises me to see such small flying geese. The combination of greens works so well with everything else in this quilt. Great job, Audrey.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the colors of this quilt...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This colour combination is perfect, what a stunning quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.