Tuesday, July 18, 2017

This Was a Fun One

So it's been a fun week, squeezing this applique project into little bits of spare time. I put it off for such long time, but once I finally determined to dig in and attack the details, it all went very smoothly. This was one border I had no trouble dredging up the interest to stitch on!
Border work for Peachy Cameo Medallion
It's hard to believe, but the entire quilt was started because of this solid peach fabric. Bought for a backing, I decided it was entirely too bland to work properly, then was left with a big chunk of weirdly colored fabric. Not that peach is truly strange and unheard of, but it's not exactly something to spark an entire quilt. Until, of course, it somehow does! Still scratching my head over this one....
Getting the borders sewn on
It's hard to say no to a good challenge! And although I drew up a rough draft of how I thought this particular quilt might look, it has, as usual in my quilting experience, taken it's own meandering journey. The peach fabric was thinking it might not join the quilt after all, and I had to coax it to play along for maybe just one border? After all, what is a challenge if you succeed in eliminating the core challenge element?
So fun looking
When drawing the birds for the applique border, I remembered seeing a similar bird in one of my pattern books. After a quick look-see, I found what I was looking for in 'Garden Dance' by Jan Patek and Cherie Ralston. All I had to do was chop off about an inch or so to the length of the tail, and the bird fit perfectly into my border! I drew up the little branches after thinking the birds looked pretty silly hanging out there on the spindly vine--basically just levitating. I love how they give the birds more gravitas. They are much more in charge of their surroundings now!

So on to the next section--the top and bottom part to this round. This border in the medallion was scheduled to be a little different than expected, not just the normal four sided repeat. I drew up a mock border a couple years ago and hadn't quite found a use for it yet. Why not slide it into this quilt? It's very similar to the Benjamin Biggs quilt Lori finished up earlier this year and I think the light, airy look will be a good contrast for the rest of the quilt.
Prep work for the next border
If, {a very big IF}, I can figure out how to get it pinned down in fairly consistent repeats! Ahhh... this is the part that makes me want to pull my hair out! Truly though, it's never quite as difficult as we often make it seem. Just have to find the method {and measurement} and make it work.

 It took one whole, green fat quarter to make just 2/3's of the bias vine, so I added another slightly darker green fabric for the rest of the bias length. I get tired of always trying to be matchy matchy. Weighing back and forth, do I want to add all the darker green at the very end and totally, completely break the colors up? No, maybe not. I impulsively mixed the darker green in sporadically with the lighter color while I was sewing the bias length. If you look closely, the two colors randomly start and stop within the 18 1/2' lengths cut for the applique border--an absolutely, delightful look. Makes me so happy!
Trying to figure it out....
And once again, the applique projects are starting to pile up. I'm starting to think that's my current comfort zone.*wink

Linking up to sew stitch snap share #8 with Linda and Julie!

26 comments:

  1. The birds look great, and the flowers are pretty darn cute too. I love the way this quilt is turning out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fun!! I love your originality, and that your quilts talk to you...and that you listen! Mine talk to me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice piece; I love those Kansas Dugout borders...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! These are such great borders!!! What fun! And they go perfectly with the rest of the quilt. You have a great way of adding the folk art elements and making them yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The birds on branches and flowers makes a charming border for your quilt. All this from a piece of peach fabric...amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous side borders!! I love the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do have a style of your own, love that border!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is coming saong well I do admire how you can alter and adapt things to suit

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see a piece of plain peach fabric and it's a piece of plain peach fabric. You see the same fabric and design a quilt around it! You're a creative genious girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love everything about this quilt; I love this color palette, the Chinese coins, the flesh fabric, the blues, the bird border and all. Such a lovely design!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one may be my fav so far! LOVE IT! In particular I'm loving the 1st border and the definite separation it provides between the medallion and the wonderful applique border. The top & bottom borders look to be fabulous too! Thanks for sharing your journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such an amazing designer! I love the way you do your quilts all so different and the way you explain the journey. This one is wonderful! It makes me want to start a new quilt ..... like I don't have enough to work on already. 😳 Thanks for sharing and for inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, yum, yum! This quilt is simply delicious! And, yes I know just how you feel when laying out a swag type border and trying to get it relatively even. But then I look at s few antique quilts and see how they just "relax" in their placement and I start stitching willy nilly. Especially with my summer stitching (random at best) I find it best to not give it much thought.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fun one indeed!! Love how it is coming along!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the center of this quilt, and remember wondering what it would become when you were making that part. So fun to see your quilts emerge!! Keep sharing! The green vine is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always just shake my head when I read about your quilts and the process you go through of designing them. SO IMPRESSED! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful borders, and the birds are charming! Thanks for linking up with 'sew stitch snap SHARE'

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whenever I am finished reading your blog post and feasting my eyes on your beautiful creations I have a smile on my face and feel very inspired! So, thank you. I get tremendous pleasure seeing your creative process and in turn the end results as well as your thoughts on it all.Please keep doing what you're doing, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It feels like I've got more applique projects that pieced projects. I seem to always pick out the designs that require embellishment. I enjoy watching your creative self put things together.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the bird border! And the mixed up greens for the "scallops" are wonderful and whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE the bird and flower border - it's a great compliment to the center medallion! Funny you're starting to think of applique as your new comfort zone, I've been having the same thoughts lately!

    ReplyDelete
  22. great folksy applique borders!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love that border! I love the way you just Put things togethter, so Original!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.