Saturday, March 25, 2017

Got This One Done and Dusted Finally

The St. Paul is completely finished, all except for a label. As the binding was being wrapped up, I kept thinking what a masculine looking quilt this is. My youngest son hasn't had a new quilt since he was about six {yep, bad momma} and well, it seemed time. When the last stitch was tied off, I hauled the quilt upstairs to see about interest in a new quilt perhaps?
St. Paul quilt

Huh? Wowsers, the headphones actually came off for this discussion*wink  And so, without even getting a wash and tumble, the quilt already found a new home. This is a kid who tells me he likes all my quilts, really doesn't have a favorite of mine, any color works but kinda likes that orangey one dad uses all the time, probably likes the quilts with a 'pattern' better. Whatever that means. But seriously, he face totally lit up at getting a brand new one and the fact that it drapes off the end of his bed and will cover his feet? Bonus.
2nd finish of the year!
Gotta love those simple perimeters and expectations! So it was a feel good ending to a quilt started fairly impulsively back in 2013. No real direction, just a block I fell in love with and decided to experiment with, plus a pile of fabric that intrigued me. It's not fabulous or super, duper special, but it looks sharp and should hold up to years of hard use by my youngest male child.
These retro. fabrics are so rich and vibrant. Love that....
 I wondered about the organic straight lines stitching {for a short while} after starting in on the stitching, but quickly grew to like it. The cross-hatch I intended to do would have probably resulted in a lot of puckering as these St. Paul blocks had a lot of bias stuff going on. As it was, I was extremely glad to have a walking foot! And once again I stopped myself from stitching lines so close that the quilt became stiff as a board. It was tempting, but probably pointless with this traditional style of quilt. This way it should get very comfy looking in a hurry.
Partial St. Paul blocks
I know my machine quilting isn't very complex or exciting, but you what? It gets the job done. Maybe someday I'll branch out into some freestyle work. Or not. Right now, I'm just happy to see another finish for the year! The fact that it will be used half to death just makes me smile {a little bonus coming my way!}. And now there's gonna be two plus years to figure out a high school graduation/college quilt for this particular guy....

35 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt and how nice to have a happy son using it right away! Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Audrey! It's really beautiful and how good that your son got new quilt he loves! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt and the fact that your son does too, as in "headphones came off" ;-) I googled St Paul quilt block, and came up with a paper pieced block that does not look like this block. Where is your block from ??? Is it a pattern ?? Yours almost looks like a tumbler set on point

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a happy feeling when the kids love what we do!! :))
    Great quilt and I love the quilting lines!
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful quilt! I love the quilting. It's perfect for this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it IS kind of orangey, it definitely has pattern, and those colors are fabulous! So, if that young man ever tires of his new quilt you can just send it my way, lol!! I too am becoming a big fan of walking-foot quilting, especially for smaller donation quilts. It gets the job done and it's sturdy enough for heavy wear and lots of washings. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely finish and so great that your son just loved it! (Who wouldn't? ) hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats on the new finish ! Love those cheddars

    ReplyDelete
  9. love it! I think for us that normally hand quilt machine quilting has been hard to embrace, I have finally gotten to the point that I like the organic wavy or semi straight lines but I doubt I would ever like free motion - possibly the organic lines at least mimic hand quilt to a slight degree? So glad the head phones came off and joy was in his eyes. My grandson is like that when I give him a quilt. I was talking "messaging" the other day with him and it came up that I had made a big sale recently on one of my quilts and he told me that meant I was an artist! ahh how sweet that is coming from a 16 year old boy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty sure the fact that you made it makes this lovely quilt pretty special to the new owner. I mean, headphones off?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way this quilt turned out!! So fun to make something someone loves AND uses!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Double Love! It's great when our children love and appreciate our quilts. This one is great and I thin the quilting suits it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turned out great! There's just the right amount of quilting to be comfy and I love that your son was pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy boy, happy mom - the perfect ending ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's always such a joy to see how family know and love your work! Boys often don't say a lot but their smile and appreciation when they know they are loved is heart melting. You are a good mumma, no doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Machine quilting is not my strong point. So however it ends up is how it ends up. Done is good. And how easy to please is your son!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post. How rewarding to know the recipient of your quilt really loves it. You can do FMQ when you're ready and if you never get ready, so be it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. how good to read your son was thrilled with the quilt it really is lovely all those bias edges though I dare not tackle anything with a lot of bias. The quilting looks good too. FMQing is also tough for me, I have been advised to make 7 8" blocks and practice just one FMQimg pattern doing one block a day for a week and should see an improvement, have made the blocks but that is as far as I have got!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice in every way, congrats XXX

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great Audrey ! I love this block and the quilting adds movement to your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on a headphone-dropping finish!! I like the rich colors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A wonderful quilt! I love the vintage fabrics and your quilting seems to add some windblown movement to your ?blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a happy ending for this quilt. The colors, the pattern and the quilting all come together for a quilt that will be perfect in a teenagers room.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Headphones off! He must have been pleased. I like the warm colours a lot, and the wavy line quilting; a great masculine quilt without being too stern or dull.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, no wonder his face lit up - mine would have, too!
    I'm struggling with the transition from hand quilting to machine quilting. Organic lines with a walking foot works just dandy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This just makes me smile! Happy quilt, happy son! I love the texture. Maybe I will give machine quilting another try. I love anything organic!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These color RHS are retro and rich. It's such a special joy when our sons like and want a quilt from us, isn't it? Congratulations on a beautiful finish

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those wavy quilting lines ARE freestyle in my book. I love the colours in this one, and the block. Second finish, and off to a good home too! Very satisfying. :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love everything about this quilt! The colors are especially nice and EXTRA special because it's now your son's!! How nice you're able to keep this one in the family! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Okay, it is Sunday afternoon and I haven't done a lick of anything EXCEPT READ YOUR BLOG. I happened upon it from someone who mentioned a tutorial on Baptist Fan hand quilting. Read that, went into your post of value, color choice, and authenticity (really loved that post). So when my superintendent asks why my lesson plans aren't done I'm going to point to Quilty Folk blog. Thanks for an enjoyable morning and hope to continue ready these blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I was very impressed by this post, this site has always been pleasant news. Thank you very much for such an interesting post. Keep working, great job! In my free time, I like play game: instagram photos. What about you?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write
    potaca

    ReplyDelete
  33. So nice post I visit first time on this page I really excited to read your post, thanks for nice sharing I am also sharing this post on my friends 192.168.l.l

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.