Thursday, February 16, 2017

Always a Fight Getting Back Into the Groove

I was finally able to vacate the back office except for the routine, daily stuff. So nice to be able to see my desk again too. Thinking 'Yay! Gonna have lots of quilting time now' and then well, life happened. We had a houseful of teenagers over a long, busy weekend and lots of comings and goings.
Flowering Snowballs in the hoop
So great to see the teenagers have fun preparing for a Valentines formal, looking all spiffy, and then hear later that the guys bailed as soon as things wrapped up. Basketball is so much more entertaining than wearing a tie! Several of us parents indulged ourselves with a really nice meal at a good restaurant, all New Years resolutions on temporary hold of course. After everyone was packed up and traveling back home on Monday, our family sort of went into hibernation mode. That's when I finally grabbed my hand quilting again and settled into my favorite spot on the couch.*sigh
Attempting to see how the stitching will look as a whole...
Sometime later this week I was able to rouse myself enough to head upstairs and check on things in the quilting room. Everything looked sort of uninteresting and I had to almost force myself to pull out a project and get to work. Not that there's any pressure, but hey, I know this feeling and if I don't just dive in, this state of lethargy will still be winning a month later. At first I just worked on the next border to my Improv. Woven Basket quilt. After much contemplation, it looked this was the winner. Somehow a busy, complicated border just didn't look like it belonged.

A simple border plan
While checking on the progress for the Rising Sun blocks {trying to decide if they were really worth working on}, I temporarily stuck some on the wall in a mock-up border idea. Kind of interesting really, as these blocks are a joke. The more I stitch them to the background fabrics, the more I realize how messed up they are. Next time I will hand stitch them as I obviously don't have the skills to piece little bits precisely enough. My current {favorite} methods of fudging, eyeballing and winging it just don't cut it with these kinds of piecing efforts. Maybe if I slice them in half, it will help ease the puffiness in the centers? Just an idea as I absolutely refuse to take them apart and attempt a re-do.
Auditioning something off the wall
But that's not what I was wanting for this particular quilt, so they were quickly shuffled aside. Applique is more in keeping with the general mood of where this quilt seems to want to go. And yes, it's very simple as most of my applique generally is. But it feels right. And that's really all that is needed before the prep work for applique is initiated!
And then settling on a real plan of attack...
Other than that, I've been playing with my fabric stacks. Putting those together with possible new quilt project ideas. Trying to distill those ideas into something definite. This sticking to the '17 ufo's in 2017' quilt list is all fine and good, but I am burning up with the desire to start something new and of course, something vastly more interesting.*wink  Next up will be to catch up on my emails and everyone else's latest blog posts! Plus, my mom just informed me about another one of our favorite from-Washington-on-the-way-to-Oregon quilt stores' closing. What is it with the main street quilt stores having trouble staying in business? We can't be the only people who prefer to {physically} look at and touch our fabric before buying it!

21 comments:

  1. Isn't it always funny how the most interesting project is the one you haven't started yet? 8)
    Slicing those rising suns is an intriguing idea. And they don't even have to be sliced squarely... hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunrise-Sunset, the start of another fabulous quilt? I like the idea of slicing those blocks in half, that leads to all sorts of intriguing ideas. The 17 in 2017 sheet lies buried on my desk, the other side is labeled "opportunity quilts" - and somehow there are a lot of days when that idea is a lot more inviting and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your applique basket, the purple-y colours are wonderful! I have lots of moments where I just want to drop everything and start something new - at least you do seem to be making some headway with THE list as well, so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't let that list stifle your creativity -- I'm sure that was not the underlying intention. Hoping you do slice those suns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The list is for some direction but not a ball and chain. I bet you might find those suns work in somewhere soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that enormous basket filled with flowers! That quilt is going to be marvellous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I hope everyone had a good time on Valentines Day, dinner out sounds good! I like the circles on your Flowering Snowball quilt. Your Woven Basket is going to be another fantastic quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Slicing up these blocks??? 😱 I couldn't!! I see them as "sunrays shining on the flowers", not all around, just above as on your wall, and the great appliqué idea around!
    Always much to see and learn on your blog, thank you!
    Have a great day!
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the current quilt in the hoop, both design and colors :) Slicing the suns sounds like a great plan B, sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. New ideas and projects infuse some fun into the process!! Love what you are hand quilting on...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, my thought is that cutting those circle blocks will reduce their drama, but you are the one who knows how "hilly" they really are! But you could sew them together in an improv way, offset, or with different sashings, and then they will be charming and dramatic.

    It sounds like you had a nice break over Valentine's Day. I'm thinking I could use one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how that quilting is looking! No doubt you will find the perfect border solution for the improv basket. And, I think adding a UFO to this year's list would be allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. always good to play with fabric stacks and see what you are up to - sounds like the Valentines Day was a good one

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely valentines weekend for all.
    Have you considered cutting the rising sun blocks on point? Them the alternate triangle so e could lighten, darken or be appliqué.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the plain colours around the basket. I like the suns too - would they settle down if you quilt the heck out of them? If not then I agree with the idea of slicing - I wonder what it would look like if you paired up mismatched halves.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonky basket is SO pretty! Ingenious way to use the fabric for the basket. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like how you put the stripes to work in your basket. And so many bright flowers. A basket full of yummy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The quilting on your Snowball quilt is going to look fabulous over all of it! I do like the idea of cutting those blocks in half and using them as a "something". Have fun with your applique border for the basket.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The economy still sucks and it is all about price. Even with our business it is. People are going to shop big box stores owned by corporations and soon that is all the choices we will have left.
    Love your hand quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your basket is the coolest thing I've ever seen!! Would it be okay if I used it for a springboard for a ginormous basket quilt? I love it. Realllllly love it. Did you ever finish it???!!Amie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.