Friday, September 23, 2016

Not So Citrus Squeeze--Fall 2016 Bloggers Quilt Festival

It's so rare that a quilt gets finished up the same year as it was started around here. I'm still in shock that 'Not So Citrus Squeeze' is now a true, blue completion! ! Love that the timing coincides with Amy's Quilt Festival too. Are you like me and find yourself disappearing down the rabbit hole whenever this wonderful event crops up? 
Not So Citrus Squeeze
This particular quilt was started early on in the year as a challenge to myself to try and interpret one of Diane's quilts in her new 'Scrap Quilt Secrets' book. I wanted to see if I could keep to the integrity of one of her patterns {I'm so terrible at following along with the rules and not going my own way} and yet still end up with a quilt that genuinely looks like a 'me' quilt!

It has quite a few 'modern' looking fabrics {check out those yummy text fabrics!} incorporated into this quilt, but you know me. I also dug really deep into my stash totes and added in some oldy moldies. It does my heart so good to see them coexisting side by side in the same quilt like they have always been the greatest of friends!
Loving that texture!
I did really well with my challenge, staying on the straight and narrow right up until I reached the end of the pattern. Huh. Then, it's like I couldn't help myself any longer. I un-repentantly jumped ship and added on a smallish, nondescript border {don't you like that floating effect?} and well, of course! some of that simple applique I love to play around with. The quilt was practically begging for it, you know it was!
Such a sweet quilt....
Then I challenged myself to machine quilt the top. The organic straight lines went rather well for awhile and then my machine starting having major tension problems. The long and short of it being that it's now in the shop being completely rebuilt. Just like I thought it needed the last {three} times it's been in the shop.
Feels like a happy quilt!
I didn't like the pink thread on the outside, side borders and so had to do a little seam-ripping. Ughh.  Hate that, but after I finally settled on a dark, bluish gray thread for those borders, I fell in love all over again. So subtle, but just perfect for the overall texture. I also had to add just a smidgen of Perle Cotton around each appliqued flower. What would one of my quilts be without some lovely hand quilting?
Everything looks better in the quilt room!
It's ever so much more fun than machine quilting, but each to their own. I'm still quite, quite terrified or ruining one of my quilts with horrible machine quilting if you want to know the truth of it. I always have to psyche myself up and keep telling myself 'You can do this!'  And to be honest, this one could use some ripping out here and there if I wanted to be a perfectionist about things. But I'm not. It is what it is and I refuse to lose any more sleep over it!

This quilt has been entered into the small quilts category over at Bloggers Quilt Festival if you have time to peruse the whole lineup. I also entered a larger, more, shall we say, infamous! quilt into the applique category as well.

30 comments:

  1. This quilt is gorgeous! I love the appliqué that you added. It just adds that special touch to it! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why yes, I do love the floating effect created by that border. And a quilter really has to make a quilt their own by imparting some personal style into it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mix of fabrics in this! And, along with your applique and hand quilting... all up it's a wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, You mentioned in a previous post that your backup machine is a Bernina. This machine you are having repair problems with, what brand is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The machine being repaired is a 16 yr. old Bernina Activa 131. It just got worn out I think, but it should be good to go after this!

      Delete
  5. One of the great things about quilting is it's your quilt and you can take as many tangents as you like. I think it's wonderful that you added the border, the beautiful flowers and some hand quilting - making the quilt a true reflection of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great and the applique flowers add an extra something like you machine quilting worries me, hence so many of my quilts do not get finished

    ReplyDelete

  7. A lovely quilt and the added tulips are a fun and happy addition. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a snuggable soft loveliness to this quilt. The organic straight lines of quilting accentuate the design beautifully. And of course the tulips growing out on the sides remind me of window boxes on city balconies. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is lovely! I love the large blooms scattered here and there in your quilt; it catches the eyes. The floating effect is fun too. Beautiful and well-balanced color mix as always!! Enjoy the Festival!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is lovely! And I think you accomplished your goal quite nicely. After all, Diane already made that quilt--you made it yours with the border and, especially, your signature style of applique. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, love the floating effect. Yes, love the tulips! Yes, love the straight line quilting. I'm getting to the point where I prefer it! And yes, love the mix of old and new fabrics -- that's my favourite thing too. Great finish, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just beautiful,,,I love the colors and adding the applique really finishes it off!! And I get worried about ruining a quilt when I machine quilt,,,practice makes perfect,, or at least not being so worried about messing it up LOL! Thank you for sharing, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just beautiful,,,I love the colors and adding the applique really finishes it off!! And I get worried about ruining a quilt when I machine quilt,,,practice makes perfect,, or at least not being so worried about messing it up LOL! Thank you for sharing, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely quilt!! The straight line quilting is good and doesn't distract from the top.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do love how you put your own twist on quilt patterns, Audrey. This quilt just wouldn't look finished without those wonderful tulips.
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have made it your own with the tulips. Really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes it was calling out for appliqué!! I think this looks lovely! Sorry about your machine. I feel much the same as you do about machine quilting but it leads to a much faster finish. This looks just right for snuggling under :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Audrey you did it again. Another beautiful quilt, and the touch of applique is just perfect. Good luck in the Blogger quilt festival with both your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the pattern and the applique you did. Really lovely quilt! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of course it needed applique - I love the flowers peaking out :0) I love that you added some handquilting too. A wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't have the words to explain how much I love this. That one of my designs became a truly "Audrey" quilt just makes my heart happy. It is wonderful and I don't see any of these 'flaws' you talk about. The applique is so sweet and perfect. I think it goes without saying which quilt will get my vote!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well you definitely ended up with an "Audrey" quilt. I love how the borders make the red blocks float, love the tulips and the mix of old and new fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is a great work! I love it! Congratulations:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Audrey, what a beautiful quilt! Love the addition of the applique..it really makes it 'you'! I also like putting traditional fabrics (moldy oldies as you say) with modern fabrics. I think yours go together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's gorgeous, Audrey! Love the addition of the appliqué - wouldn't be a "you" quilt without it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think it is wonderful - and that it was finished in the same year as it was started is the bonus!! I rarely have that happen too - ha ha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.