Monday, June 20, 2016

Catching Up

So I've just about completely lost my rhythm when it comes to quilting. That lovely, lovely calming routine of quiltiness I love so much is shot all to pieces these days. I might possibly get to my stitching a couple days a week at best. It's so pathetic.
Bow-ties quilt
It's looking like that's the way my entire summer is going to be. Ugghh... I did finish the hand quilting on the hand pieced bow-tie quilt and am now waiting on impetuous for binding work. Honestly, I'm not feeling it right now. But I do have the Cactus Baskets quilt in the hoop and since I'm quilting with perle cotton there is progress being made. Slow progress, but you know how it is. Every single stitch counts.
Cactus Baskets
I was guilted pressured into asked about making a block for my nieces wedding quilt, one of those sampler block quilts where everyone gets a small chunk of fabric to work with. I was feeling deeply resentful if you want to know the truth of it, having so little time to work on my own lovely quilting and then having to use specific fabrics? It was a tough one, but I persevered and it's done now. So much character building, these types of projects. I did add some of my own fabric to the mix--of course. How could I not? There simply was not enough contrast with what was given and I could feel the hives about to break into a happy dance. It only made me want to dive head first into my fabric totes and start sniffing fabric or something equally weird. I am {obviously} deeply missing my quilt room bonding moments. Ahem! Obviously.
Quilt block for a wedding quilt
A reader and fellow circler sent along a picture of the circles quilt top her sister has recently made. This quilt top is made by Carol from Oregon and what a beauty it is! So much color in this quilt, you can't help but smile. Loving those nifty pathways of color background and the way some of the circles pop! And yes, I am still working on my circles, sometimes the only quilty thing I touch all week. So. Very. Pathetic.
Carol in Oregon circle quilt
And here is my husband and I, soon to be married for a whole 25 years. Woohoo us! Hoping to take off on a vacation and celebrate without any children around. Started without them and will end up rattling around our house without them some day in the future. Right? Not that I'm feeling anxious for that day. No sirree. Love those kids to pieces. The vacation however? Very much needed.
Almost made it 25 years together...
It's time. Just hoping things work out and it doesn't get cancelled like every other fun thing we try to do together. I think it's just that time of life, don't you? Taking care of other people and trying not to take each other {too much} for granted. Okay, that's it for a quilty post until the next circles linkup the first of July. Thanks to everyone who once again took the time to link up! And a metaphorical quilty 365 fist bump to all my fellow circlers. Lovely to see so many still hanging in there with me!

25 comments:

  1. You said it: "every stitch counts". I have this quote from Ernest Hemingway over my desk at work: It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters, in the end. Congratulations on 25 years! Hang in there & keep circling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we just had our 44th anniversary so happy anniversary to you! sorry you are still off on your quilting routine - I got roped into making a signature quilt one time for one of my many nieces wedding - hated every minute of it!! just not my style

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely to see you! Congratulations on your 25 years together, do hope your plans to get away work out, partners need that time to reconnect & take it easy.
    Sewing/quilting is always an ebb & flow, hope you get to stitch lots soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you. I hope you get that time away with your sweety. It's important!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you manage to find time to get away together. Love to see a post again and hope you quilt every time you can. I know it helps me a lot to sew or quilt, it words as well as mindfullnes. Many greetings and a big hug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life definitely goes in cycles, Audrey--hubster and i have been rattling around here for 10 years now...funny how when you have the time, you lose the energy and vice-versa....hope you have a nice getaway....hugs, Julierose P.S. I love the Wedding Quilt block--you are a good doobie ;--)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Cactus Basket blocks are something I liked very much when you made them. Happy to see that you are quilting on them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary to you both! Your posts always give so much to think about - you nailed it with this one. I've lost my quilt mojo but am trying to work my way through it. Enjoy your time away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you found a moment to connect with all of us. Happy Anniversay! Enjoy each day's journey

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, Happy Anniversary! And secondly, why does life have to always interrupt quilting? I have you to thank for keeping my quilting mojo going this summer. If I didn't have my little Quilty 365 circles each morning, I don't think I would be motivated to do anything. I am trying to keep up with the other two SAL projects, but it isn't easy! Hope you get some pieceful (and peaceful) moments this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, 25 years is an amazing milestone. Do go on vacation no matter what, you both deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your 25 years together! I do hope you will have the time to take that much-needed vacation together. I'm reminded of that Gordon Lightfoot song, about life's seasons going round and round, painted ponies go up and down, the carousel of life. Most of the time we're just riding around and around, but then every once in awhile there's a day, a week, a year or two if we're lucky, and grab the coveted brass ring and all is in perfect harmony for a blessed period of time. Wishing you a brass ring very soon, where your family obligations and your peaceful times of quilting are once more in harmony.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry Life is keeping you from your quilting -- for your sake & for mine -- I love seeing what you are up to! It makes the time you can squeeze in that much more precious. And it can't last forever -- hang in there.
    25 years! Such an achievement! Here's to 25 more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on 25 years together, hoping you can realise your plans for a holiday together. And a bit sewing a few days a week is all most people can do really, with work, kids, life. Always nice to get more time though...

    ReplyDelete
  15. congratulations on 25 years have a lovely break together. Hoping the stiything mojo will come back soon, good to see you are hand quilting I find hand stitching so much more relaxing. What a lovely idea to have people make a block for a wedding quilt liking your block.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary! I hope you will enjoy that holiday. I definitely have been finding that my life starts to go off-kilter if I don't sew regularly, so I hope you will be able to move it up on your list of priorities! Remember, if you don't take care of yourself, who will take care of them? Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry to hear that you are still struggling to find time to stitch, I have had quite the same experience this summer. I'm trying so hard to embrace life for what it is and experience all it has to offer, but I do miss the calm and relaxation of stitching. The few moments of sewing I find seem frantic and unfulfilling. This too shall pass. Didn't someone once say that?
    Best wishes for a wonderful celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. By the time you read this, your holiday will have been decided, but I wanted to wish you and yours a happy 25th anyway. It's a big anniversary, but you're right the children are still hanging around and maybe even a grand or two. It's difficult to find time for anything. Take courage, however, I can tell you it gets better and even becomes wonderful again. We are an example of that: I missed the circle linky because we were on a three week vacation. Now before you are wowed, we've been married 38 years, so we've put in some rough ones, too. But you know what I did? I hauled the machine and sewed a bit during those weeks--no interruptions 800 or so miles away! Sometimes you just have to work with what life hands you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Been thinking about you... and so glad to suddenly see your post pop up! Love ,love the aqua bow ties, your cactus baskets quilt is looking great, and they will all still be there when you feel like picking up the needle & thread again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Know that "making plans only to have them cancelled" feeling - it happens less often now, but for too many years it was the 'norm' of our lives. And YES every stitch does count (large or small) - as does time simply standing in the same room with your fabrics breathing. And OH do I understand that reference to feeling put upon . . . that said, your green flower is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad to catch up with you, Audrey. Happy anniversary and I hope your holiday happens without a hitch: I sometimes console myself in life by looking forward to being about 75 - I plan to do exactly as I choose and behave very badly at every opportunity. No stitching must be frustrating, but think how good it will feel once you have more time again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Anniversary! I get real antsy if I don't get in my sewing time! I try not to fret. Everything in it's own time?! Wowzer that circle quilt is amazing! Give yourself a big pat on the back! Look at all the amazing quilts/ tops insiped by your idea!!! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice to see a post from you and Happy Anniversary! I am woefully behind on my circles. Life gets crazy sometimes. I am determined to catch up today and tomorrow. You won't regret contributing to the wedding quilt and it's good that you put your own flavor to it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Feverishly trying to get caught up with my circles!! Life definitely has gotten in the way over the month of June! Wishing y'all a happy 25th anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Feverishly trying to get caught up with my circles!! Life definitely has gotten in the way over the month of June! Wishing y'all a happy 25th anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.