Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Two More Finishes

Two more quilt finishes and we're not even through with February! These kinda feel like 'cheater' quilts, but then I just want to tell myself to shut up, 'cuz they still count. It took time and effort to cut them out, sew them together and then run them through the machine. The people I gift them too are getting a handmade quilt. And I used up a boatload of my {languishing for over 10 years} flannel stash. Win-win.
Two completed comfort quilts
I had so much trouble with my sewing machine while stitching these quilts. Ripping out long rows of stitching and trying to re-adjust the tension. It's back in the shop again and this time the repair man treated me like an ignoramus. Offered to show me how to thread my machine, adjust the tension and test out the particular thread I was using. Grrr! Does he not realize that I've been using this machine, hard, for 15 years? Honestly, I don't think it's fixed this time either {not for good} and will be back into the shop for a replacement part later. There must be something completely wore out to be causing the tension to lose it's grip with reality while stitching a quilt sandwich. Bernina's are a very sturdy machine and don't usually fuss at the difference between sewing a quilt block or a quilt sandwich.*sigh  So discouraging.
All ready for the labels!
On a good fabulous note, my husband obviously lost his mind for a few minutes. The thread below is what he gave me for an early Valentines Day. I know, totally crazy. Four boxes of Valdani thread just because he loves me.
Hard to believe this is actually mine....
I was almost totally speechless. Woohoo! But that's the kind of guy he is. A card and a little bit of chocolate most Valentines and then something like this just out of the blue. I'm thinking I'll keep him.*wink

25 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'd say he's well worth keeping! Great finishes that will bring warmth and comfort to the recipients. Sounds like that machine of yours is about wore out, considering how many quilts you've made in the past fifteen or so years! It's always sad when a favorite machine gives up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry your machine is giving you fits. Very unusual for a Bernina.
    Of course those quilts count. Feels so good to make a dent in cured fabric! They look so pretty and comfy cozy!
    So sweet of your husband to give you those threads and early, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they look fantastic and they totally count!! What lovely gifts they will be - so snugggly and soft! I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your sewing machine. What a sweet gift from your sweetheart :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! Four boxes of Valdani...ThAT is LOVE :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet of your hubby to give you something that you really love and appreciate - he's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your finishes are glorious! Hurrah!! Hey...keep that husband...great things he is doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot seem to comment on your blog Audrey--the box disappears...so I am using this reply option??? who knows? Love your finishes....amazing gift from hubster--hugs, Julierose

      Delete
  7. Your flannel quilts definitely count as a real quilt and a real finish! Hope your machine can get figured out. It would be very frustrating. Love your sweet Valentine gift!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo! Look at all the pretty colors - the quilts and the threads!
    I hope your machine feels better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, your husband is a keeper. My hubby wouldn't even know where to buy thread or what thread I would want! How do you do it...2 more quilts finished...great effort. Hope your machine behaves itself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your presents! that thread is great. so thoughtful. Hope your machine gets better sometimes I feel like throwing them across the room if they weren't so heavy and would cause damage LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep your fabulous hubby. Ditch the sewing machine repair guy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky girl ! Happy Valentine day XXX

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did you get a thread-buying husband? I didn't even know they made a model with that option.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A finished quilt = a finished quilt! Congratulations! Sorry about the machine but what a gift from your hubby, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry about the machine repair experience and unfortunately, I've had the same problem. Your husband is definitely a keeper! His gift reminded me of the Mrs. Bobbins cartoon where she receives a heart shaped box of assorted threads for Valentines Day. Very thoughtful of him!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet husband! :) Hope the repairman figures it out once and for all !

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad the positive husband energy far out weighted the negative repair guy's!

    Lovely selection!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful husband! Definitely a keeper.
    I'm so sorry about your sewing machine issues. I have similar problems with my featherweight. I may clean it myself but something may need to be replaced and then I'll have to take it in.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a special gift!
    Geez, you need a new Bernina repairman I think.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My sympathy to you...my very expensive Bernina, which I have had for five years, has been to the dealer three times and to the factory three times. The want to tell me to hold my thread back when starting to see, how to load the bobbin and thread it. Still not fixed, though they say it is. Grrrrrr. Those quilts most certainly are not cheating!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on your two beautiful finishes and on having such an attentive and loving husband!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gosh, I'm so impressed with your husband! What a thoughtful gift.

    And it's nice to clear out some old stash fabrics, especially when they turn out so well! You really are off to a great start this year. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your husband is definitely a keeper - what a fabulous present. Your new finished (finished!!) quilts look great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow - great gift! They are great colors.
    such nice charity quilts - finished is good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.