Thursday, February 11, 2016

I Think It's Going To Be a Wall Hanging

I am so fickle, jumping from project to project as the muse directs. The Antique/Vintage block as been calling my name lately, seemingly a fun and easy project. The block itself was hand pieced and then washed at some point in it's history. Why do people do that? Nothing about the block is square, there is blue dye bleed on it and it's unraveling slightly on the backside. Still, I do love it {it's sparked something interesting within} so why not play?
Making the block square
The flaws mean that no matter how much I love the block, it's not a good candidate for full-on use as part of a bed type quilt.*sigh  There went my dreams of making it large enough to actually use. So... I am curbing my natural tendencies and making a wall hanging. First I added a coping border and then trimmed down to something square. Next up was this cream/black toile print that I had only bought 1/2 yard of. Seriously? Who buys only 1/2 yard of a toile fabric? Terrible forward planning, but I did make it work.
Trying to figure out the next step...
After a sleep or two, I decided that the next border needed to have some color {no matter how tempting that stripey shirting print is}. I attempted a mixture of red and blues, but as you can see, there isn't much variation in value. That bothers me a bit, but not enough to give up. It's surprising how little navy I buy these days and the red, well, it's always being pillaged. I can't ever keep up with good red fabrics. Especially the rosy red ones as they're so very scrumptious to use.
Another border
I'm sensing a sort of Valentines theme with this sweet little wall hanging. So not me and yet... it really sort of is. And it needs to be just a little larger to successfully fit into the space that I'm eyeballing on the stairway. Possibility of one, two more borders? Which is kind of ironic because I thought this would be the beginning of my mini quilt gallery. Guess not. It seems I'll have to gradually reduce the size of my quilts until I can be truly happy with a little one.


24 comments:

  1. Just love the quilt you are quilting at the moment and the little wallhanging is sweet. I like it a lot. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blue/red sawtooth is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you are doing with it and will look great as a wall hanging. I don't always think ahead when I buy fabric if I happen to be in a quilt shop and see something I like - then when I get ready to pull it off the shelf I wish I would have gotten more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That toile fabric was sheer inspiration....looking great. I think it's hard to "scale back" to minis after the "big canvas" of bed quilts.....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to purchase 1/2 yard pieces which is generally too much for applique pieces and not enough for some backgrounds or setting blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have thought about using the toile fabric with this block but it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's very cute! I'd be the one to purchase too little of a toile too! You are in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You crack me up! Love where this is going and like you, my quilts just seem to keep growing! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like it's time for that stripey shirting print to come back into play.
    I love what you're doing with this. It may end up bigger than you thought... 8)
    (I realized recently that I have never ever EVER said to myself "Gee, I wish I hadn't bought quite so much of this fabric." This is a very dangerous realization. I only have so much storage room...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you rotated the red triangle blocks on the upper loft and lower right corners for a bit of whimsy. It is a lovely block growing into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it fun when a quilt knows exactly what it needs to be even when we don't?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's wonderful! I have the same problems with reds and navy for the same reasons. Great minds I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't stay small. I think this does look like your work - and the more you do, the more it looks like you. The toile is a great balance to the other parts of the quilt, and has a nice old-fashioned look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're like the "quilt whisper" and can tame a single block into something awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Audrey, you make me smile! It's so good to hear that other people fudge something together from something that didn't quite go to plan - and in your case still come up with a wonderful quilt! I really love the red/blue border, I think it makes the toile make more sense - if that makes any sense whatsoever, ha! I know what I mean!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, what a lovely quilt! Sometimes the quilts just know, you know? They just know what they're meant to be. Fighting it just leaves you disappointed and the quilt unbalanced and, well, off. Give the quilt what it wants and you always end up surprised and, oh, so satisfied!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love reading your Blog! What a hoot! I can certainly relate to the "fickleness". My friend calls me the creative flea, flitting from one thing to another. I love this quilt just as it is, or, of course with any additional borders you add! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I can relate to the "fickleness" as well! Must be contagious. Your work is beautiful and I have recently started sewing the circles too!
    Blessings, Sue McQuade in IL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh-so-cute a start!

    I've bought just a half yard of toile before too; silly mistake, not to be repeated!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like watching your process. I think it's going to work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.