Sunday, January 31, 2016

February Quilty 365 Linkup

So here we are at the beginning of February. Wowsers. This is getting to be quite a stack of circles for Quilty 365! At day 98, I figure 27% of my circles are now completed or at least prepped! I grouped my January circles {below} in chronological order just because I could and well, I'm always curious. The ebb and flow of this month is not exactly the same as the last ones. That may be because the past month was full of challenges and I was a bit off my usual routine. Or perhaps it's just because I'm mixing my fabrics more?
January Circles
I don't know about you, but I am getting a bit frustrated with my monstrous, heaping, pitiful scrap bin. There is rarely the exact color that I need for the day and how in the world am I going to sew the proper mood of the day if I have the wrong shade or tone? hehe  It all works. Or it better, 'cuz I'm starting to feel stubborn about sticking with the scrap bin. Even if I have to do fabric repeats, which is a huge concession for me. For some reason I didn't want any repeats when I initially thought about this project. Now I'm thinking it's not such a big deal after all. Some days might be similar to others in retrospect. And why would that be a bad thing?
A total of 98 circle blocks!
An 'on-point' block layout has been niggling away at my imagination. It clearly needed to be auditioned as a potential solution for my blocks posthaste. And yes, you guessed it. The blocks are in chronological order. Why not just check that out from the get-go and get it out of my system {even though I'm fairly sure of the outcome, it's always good to know}. The layout? Definitely one to consider if I mixed the circles up and figured out a better color balance. This one's a bit awkward.

But I could put some of the solid fabric circles on the edges. Having to cut those blocks in half would probably make it easier to lose parts of my circles. Of course I could also add setting triangles to keep all of my circles intact or yeah, the obvious--try a different arrangement altogether. So far I'm not settled on anything concrete. It's very early stages for me and honestly, I'm not above dividing my circles into two sets for two different quilts.
A possible layout 
It's interesting to get this far in a daily quilting project though. You never know until you try, right? Thanks to every single person sewing along! I'm absolutely loving seeing these circles pop up in my reader, being able to check out all the unique touches. I'm still just blown away by all the personalization, talent, creativity and just plain fun people are having with this basic little project. Makes me feel like a slacker sometimes!

So please link up with us if you're still playing along! Link your thumbnail picture to a current post on your blog detailing:
  • What particular day you  happen to be at now {such as 'day 75'}
  • A picture of your January circles whether they are stitched to the background fabric or not {can add a picture of all your circles to date if you want}
  • A link back to this post
  • Any thoughts or introspection you might want to add about this particular project

   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   


35 comments:

  1. Hi, Audrey! Here's my report for January. I enjoy the process. I have not decided how I will collect these blocks: straight or months. I think. http://tella-toys.blogspot.ru/2016/01/blog-post_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking fabulous, especially with the on point setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey, aunque el traductor no es muy bueno, me ha encantado leer tu post y ver como estás proyectando el dia a dia en tus círculos. Aunque mi uní a tu proyecto, pero siento que yo no sigo tus pautas, para mi sería muy dificil el hacer un bloque díario, por eso opté por hacer los bloques correpondientes al mes que estamos todos al mismo tiempo. He de decirte también que de esta forma también estoy disfrutando mucho del Quilt 365. Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations for this wonderful idea !
    Here is February with his others circles...Love all yours for January !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love yours set on point - I have not decided how my lay out will be I'm just concentrating on getting all the circles done first. Love to see some of us still linking up and I will spend the day looking at all of them

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may need to cut stash or dig into a friends scrap bin...lol. I love the possibility of the second layout....has great potential. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much fun to go visiting all the Quilty 365 participants each month. Thanks so much for hosting this great quilt-along. You may be on to something special with your on-point setting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who'd have thought on point *circles* would look any different!! I love the different colour backgrounds and think this would be a fantastic layout. I'm with you on thinking about two quilts though. It seems January has been a challenging month for a few of us, and thanks to you we're all still doing some great work.I've never stuck to a sew along for very long in the past, but this one is a real keeper: I'm just loving it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sewing along but I am following along on your progress. Absolutely love these blocks on the point!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The color to match the mood is a potential stumbling block for me as is the fact that I am not a scrap saver. So I am going to do a color family for the next month and pull from my stash. Just adapting the "rules" to keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rats! I love the circles on point. Does that mean I am going to rip out the 4 rows I have already sewn together? Probably not. I'll link mine up today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharing my circles for this month ... I am trying hard to just keep making circles and wait until later to worry with the layout . . . aside from already deciding to alternate the darker and lighter background squares. Thanks for hosting the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Audrey,
    Your circles are lovely. I've joined up the 1st of January. Looking forward to seeing how this all works out. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's really funny how the circles on point look so different from the straight set! Whoda thunk?
    Thank you for this wonderful quiltalong. I love seeing what everyone is up to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really enjoying all the different versions of your circle quilt a long. I like the on point layout too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love seeing all these wonderful scrappy circles. What a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome array of interpretations all with a little o' circle. Terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the on point setting too. It's more dynamic than all the straight lines. I still haven't decided what I'll do though; I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!
    thanks for organising this project Audrey; it's great to see everyone's interpretations of round pegs in a square hole.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Audrey, You've really started a movement!! Good for you!! I've got tons of scraps I'm happy to share send me you snail mail and I'll send you a big baggy full! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love that on point setting! I am sewing things together as I go.... so, I'm more or less committed to my straight rows! I started Jan 1st. It's a "habit" now for sure - you really started something fun and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like the circles set on point - gonna let that idea stew in my brain for awhile. Still having a blast with this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love this. It is so interesting to see everyone's progress. Who knows where this will go? Thanks so much for getting me started!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your circles look fabulous with an on-point setting. My scrap collection is frustrating me too, mostly because it is so disorganized. I am thinking I should start cutting up the leftovers in some more reasonable fashion, or just start making another scrap fabric that will use up the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Audrey, I feel myself cracking on this! There are so many great interpretations here.

    What an inspired idea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cool to see so many sewing along! You are an inspiration!!
    I love the on-point set and would NEVER move them around to try and get them balanced. I like the idea of dark setting triangles to hold them all in.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the 'on point' it just adds a fun dimension. What an awesome collection of links! I'm going to have a good time checking all of them out. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So much fun seeing all the different versions of this quilt project - inspiration comes to everyone in a different way!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love that rich color palette that you use in your quilts, you have good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm loving how yours is turning out! I may have to continue past my 27 days worth of circles, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your circles look wonderful however you arrange them! Love the color combinations. So fun to see how yours and the others' are coming along month to month.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Audrey, thanks for hosting this fabulous project. I'm a late starter, but slowly catching up. Not sure how I will set mine yet just enjoying the stitching process at the moment! Lots of hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your circles are looking really good and I love the on point setting. I started January first making orange peel shapes on neutral backgrounds. I'm finding this to be a very satisfying start to each day. I love going through my fabrics and picking that one perfect piece to add to my collection. Thanks so much for coming up with this idea. It's a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Having fun with this. Was planning to stick with old tone on tones for my backgrounds, but am finding them a bit boring. May branch out, but then I am thinking I would no longer be able to stay in chronological order. Decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I finally decided on a background for my circles and how I will set my quilt. I am making the background of each month a certain color and will have half the year on the front and half on the back. it will be a reversible quilt. thanks for inspiring us to push the bar. fun fun!
    I will then combine the rainbow scrap challenge color of blue for Jan to be my Jan background and pink for Feb...... loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Started January 1st and have 70 done so far I use wonder under and button hole around them. I plan to make place mats, table runners and table toppers with my circles. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.