Friday, April 17, 2015

Figuring Out the Mini Cake Stand Quilt Once Again

These little cake stand units have been ready to go for quite some time now. I just needed to remove threads and put them back into some kind of order. Ripping blocks apart is a messy job! Ugh! So many hanging threads to take care of.
Mini Cake Stand units
I decided to go with a plain Jane background of various cream backgrounds and keep the emphasis on the mini cake stands. There are three  or four original blocks with dark brown fabric used for the connector blocks, but that should just make things interesting in the final quilt. Or not. We'll see when the quilt gets closer to layout if I have to change those out too.
Sewing them into the larger blocks...
Figuring out how I wanted to put the larger blocks back together proved to be the bigger challenge. This entire quilt was originally based on an antique 'make-do' style of quilt. The fussier I get with the layout, the farther away I get from my intended goal. The thing is, just using a square of fabric {no piecing} for the every-other-block isn't getting me very excited either. Finally, I decided that over thinking the entire quilt is driving me batty. What am I trying to make, a masterpiece? Bah on that. The every-other-blocks are going to be scrappy nine patches set on point. And yes I'm adding in some pink. My gut says this quilt desperately needs pink!
Some of the fabric cut out for the alternating blocks.
Also, I have come to the end of the handwork on my Marsala blocks. Basically all that is left to do is to trim off the excess applique fabric on the edges and sew the top together. Must find time for that...
Marsala blocks ready to sew together...
And.... another wedding to attend on Saturday (this is apparently the wedding year for our extended families) and then I have a yard sale to get ready for next week. I am still reeling from shock that someone actually got me to agree to ever having another yard sale. In my opinion they are an enormous amount of effort for a very small reward--it's not like we sell anything worth keeping! lol  Although I do remember selling a quilt once to help pay the electric bill. Thankfully all we're trying to do this time is de-clutter.

17 comments:

  1. I used to do garage sales years ago and haven't done one in many, many years - I never made enough money off of them to make it worth while. I think the last one I participated in was one with my daughter - she had the better location so i dragged all of my stuff to her place and sat around all day helping - I think I made $30 or less - haven't done one since and I think that one was 15 years ago LOL -- I cart my stuff to Goodwill and need to get stuff packed up once again and dragged over there

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did one garage sale and that was enough for me :0) Your quilt is coming along quite nicely...I have to finish my sunshine and shadow piano cover and hopefully I'll be done with quilting for a bit... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are adorable little blocks, and I think the nine patch in between will be more interesting. I agree about the garage sale, it's easy to sell "good junk" at any time. But de-cluttering is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mini cake stands are delicious as mini cupcakes. Your plan sounds like a good one. Decluttering is good, but sure takes a lot of time. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear the infamous nine patch has come to the rescue! Those little cake stands are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your little cake stand blocks and really like the direction you taking with this quilt. I agree, it needs a little pink. I hope the yard sale goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love garage and tag sales! It is a great way to clean out, meet new people and spread the joy of a new found treasure!
    Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you made five baskets of each particular fabric? Just trying to picture what the quilt might look like in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cake stand blocks make me want to eat cake. They look great sewn into larger blocks. Have fun at the wedding, and preparing for your yard sale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those little blocks! Adding pink would be like icing on the cake.....
    I agree with you on the garage sale thing. Way too much work for what you get in return.
    Have fun sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For sure making an original design is hard work. Especially when the quilt and the quilter each have their own ideas, and negotiations need to take place :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. what sweet blocks! pink would be very sweet with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun to see what your current project is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such pretty little blocks! I am eager to see the beautiful quilt you will achieve with them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the little blocks, like them sewn together with the cream, definitely like the idea of pink. As for yard sales, not a thing here, and I suspect I'm pretty glad about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh, love the cakestands! And I agree with pink, I just love green and pink together. Good luck with your yard sale. We swore off EVER doing another one. I figure I made more with the tax deduction from Goodwill than we did in our previous yard sale! I do love to de-clutter though. Why is it so easy to accumulate far more than we need to have around us?

    ReplyDelete
  17. These little cake stand units have been ready to go for quite some time now. I just needed to remove threads and put them back into some kind ... icakestand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.