Friday, November 6, 2015

More Quilty 365, A Finished Quilt Top and Some Lovely New Fabric

Wowsers! Very fun to have so much interest in Quilty 365, which ironically is going to be 366 days, but hey, whatever. A circle a day for a year. That's the main thing that concerns us crazy quilters! I'm hearing lots of very creative ideas from those getting started and that feels very exciting. I'm touched by those who are making this a very personal journey too. Bravo to you for taking it to the next level!
Day 10-12
I thought it was interesting when blue was the chosen color for two days running. I almost edited my choice {had it returned to the scrap bin already} when I thought 'what makes me think I have too?' It's a blue day and that's that. Aghhh! It's entirely too early to start trying to 'fix' my quilt so it might, could, should possibly look better.

Finally got my gorgeous winnings from the Art Gallery blog! Their stuff is a little bit on the modern side for me, but I keep falling in love with the florals especially. It's part of what makes quilting so interesting, don't you think, to mix fabrics from several genres all into one quilt? I do so hate to be put into a box with the lid firmly stuck tight. And winning fabric is just about as sweet as it gets!
My winnings!
The timing is interesting too, because all these floral baskets below are made from an Art Gallery fabric I fell in love with about a year ago. In an effort to try something different from my normal border type choices, I chose to make the fabric the centerpiece in some sweet little basket blocks. You know me and those basket blocks. Like peas in a pod.
Summers End baskets
Which uh.., is sort of the point. I had all these olive green fabrics lurking in the totes forever and could not ever settle on a decent idea for using them up. Yep, it sure is a strong looking green quilt and my lovely floral fabric is just a bit overwhelmed. A tad more than I expected really. That's what I get for pushing the envelope on which green fabrics should be included. Me and and my enthusiasm for working straight from the stash!
Sewn into a top
I think I went a bit too far with the brownish looking greens too and then I had the bright idea of adding in some celery green and blue baskets as well. For interest and spark. {And to keep the boredom factor way down.} There is the slight issue of making the same block over and over. And over.
A closer look at the baskets...
I love the quilt from a distance, from waaay across the room, so that's good. The little pink baskets stand out better and look very friendly. Up close though, they get a little lost in the busyness of the floral print and the different background prints make them compete for attention. That's not so good.
A finished quilt top
I won't say it's an epic fail because I can see myself loving it draped across my lap. {And I still love that floral fabric to pieces.} So it's just not a standout quilt. Yet. Maybe the quilting can still save it? lol

20 comments:

  1. It reminds me of spring and May Baskets / May Day...something like that, anyway :) The fabric is floral and when you think about it all flowers in spring and summer shine out amidst frames of green leaves, grass etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. even if you do not love it -- someone will -- not my colors but I find it very interesting!! I decided I will join you in your 365 days of circles - I'm just not positive when I will start - soon I think - at first I thought the beginning of the year but then I like you if I put something off I might not get started!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can call it "How Green Was My Valley" after that old movie lol...it is a lot of green, but I think quilting that green with a lighter color thread may lighten it up a bit, just sayin'....love those little baskets of yours....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brava to you! First, I love the random quality of your circles and how some are pieced. Were I not committed to more than a few projects right now, and not so frustrated with appliqué, I would join you. Daily hand-stitching a project like that is a lovely way to finish the day. Secondly, the green basket quilt is totally new. I don't think I've ever seen a quilt with a huge green field and I think it's great that you've taken this leap. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying watching your circle a day and I'm glad you remembered there were 366 days next year. Better make that extra one special as the 29th is my REAL birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that green! It always seems to pop into any purchases I make. Not too strong, not too brown, just right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love green in all it's gorgeous versions. I have no problem at all with this, and I have a sneaking feeling you are going to fall in love while quilting it. The baskets are charming and the circles are still spinning in my head! Congrats on the lovely fabric win...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the green. A nice pink binding, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The baskets are lovely and I am already behind on my circles and it's only day 3!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your baskets, knowing you I'm sure there will be an added surprise before it is all quilted and bound!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely in favour of mixing together fabric from different genres, that's why I'm now sorting my fabrics by colour. I like Gayle's suggestion of a pink binding on the basket quilt, it would frame it perfectly. Good luck with your Quilty 365(6)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a lot of green, but I like it! It has a fresh, just picked feel to it. Congratulations on the fabric win.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read your post but had no suggestions. Then I happened to look at Ivory Spring (see the Frond booth photo.) It's the same greens. Those skinny stripes perk them up. Any way to work something in yours?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too like the green (but that's where I am with colour right now). I like that the stripy border doesn't go all the way around. I think the binding may have an important role to play in balancing the colours out. I'm glad lots of people want to play Circles - today is my day for making the first decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how to can take a color I would think of and make it work. I like it. When I get back home I'm going to join your circle a day. Little behind your start but that's okay

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like fun Audrey! I've been wanting to make another low volume quilt, maybe this will do the trick. Your floral baskets are looking good! I like the addition of the blue and celery green.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it Audrey, and green really isn't my favourite colour! You'll do wonders with the quilting I'm sure. Maybe you can make some of the baskets stand out more by quilting the background more heavily? Congratulations on the addition to the stash, there are some great prints there :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I first saw the blocks I wondered if you would use pink as sashing between the baskets, but then I saw that you used green alternate blocks. You're right that some get lost but I don't see that as a problem, just an additional layer of interest, along with the baskets of other colors. I like the striped border.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What's NOT to love here?? green? baskets? using stash?? You did it all and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You really do have a special way with baskets. and the green looks great. I like the allusive baskets, they make you look a little closer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.