Monday, October 15, 2018

More Progress on the Applique and the Start of a New Project

The Dried Flower blocks are ready for the leaves now. As of this posting, they are cut out and ready for stitching. Nine blocks of the larger, more rounded leaves and three of the narrow, wavy leaves. We'll see how that works out, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how these odd shaped blocks finish up! 
Dried Flowers
 I've also been steadily progressing through the chunky New York Beauty blocks. Only 10 blocks to go when I took this picture, but as of last night, all that's left to do are the gold arcs across the bottom of the 'points'. Whew! It's been a real slog getting through all 64 blocks! It's time for a break though, so now I'll probably stitch the leaves for the Dried Flowers before coming back to these.
Quarter Circles/Chunky New York Beauty Blocks
I also jumped right into the middle of a project that's been simmering for a very long time. At the last minute I switched the colors around and decided to make the baskets yellow and coral/pink instead of using the yellow for background color like originally intended.
Improv. Baskets
Not sure why I did that, but it made sense at the time. Now I'll probably go with a boring cream as the background but that's okay--the basket is probably busy enough already! The vintagey fabric above was the one I was most worried about, but now that the basket is coming together, it's my favorite. Just have to be careful when ironing as it doesn't appear to be 100 percent cotton. Love, love, love the more intense colors of that block though!
I'm calling it 'Sweet Tart'
No pattern for these baskets, just kind of winging it improv. style. Basically I cut 5 1/2" squares on the diagonal and then crosscut them again, arranged them on the design wall, and then sewed them into rows. I have a certain final block size in mind and so there's a rough template for the outside dimensions too. One more to go and then it'll be time to figure out the handle and start doing the prep work for the flowers that will be stitched 'inside'. After the last bit of marathon applique, it feels wonderful to stop at only four blocks!

18 comments:

  1. Yellow and coral baskets....they work well in those colors. You are always surprising me with some just a tad different. You sometimes walk on the wild side.
    How is your mother doing? I remember when your parents lost their home to fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have such interesting projects! I love everything in this post! The colors are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so interesting how you use color and improv style and just start with something. Lovely projects. Warm greetings from an unusually warm Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your work Audrey and the colors you choose, i’m waiting to see the chunky New York beauties when they finish, very interesting!
    Myrto

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see what will happen next! I love the pink and yellow! Every time I see that you have a new post I get so happy .... it is so exciting to read and see what you are doing! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love to see what folky fun you get up to. I love those no pattern baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing your dried flower block without leaves reminds me of the giant lollipops we bought the girls in Seaside, a long time ago when we visited Oregon together for the first time. Funny how the brain will see a shape or a color and take you back 20 years on a totally different tangent! Basket blocks in those colors will become a super summery quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving all three. Yiur creativity is boundless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Tart is the perfect name for these sweet blocks! It may seem slow to you, but I can't believe how fast you have appliqued those New York Beauty blocks. You must have flying fingers. But those "Dried Flowers" are really speaking to me. Much the same way as "Vintage Red" and Hey Grandma". I just can't keep my eyes off them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you put the yellow and coral together for the baskets - great combo! Loving your “Dried Flowers” too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another batch of lovely projects. The basket idea is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your baskets are cute and I love the color!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The coral and the yellow, absolutely! Three different directions, with your three projects.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the colours you used for the New York Beauty blocks. Strong colours. The Dried Flower looks great. Success with all the baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that yellow fabric, and the way the yellows are combining with the corals - just makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love all the color and whimsy in your latest projects. What an interesting way to make a New York Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderfully colourful post Audrey! I really like the subdued background colour in the Dried Flower block with the pop of aqua in the flower. I'm in love with your Improv Baskets!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.