Friday, April 3, 2015

Simple is Good

I finally figured out a border solution for my Cactus Baskets quilt! Sometimes I get so caught up in the idea that there are lots of ideas that I totally forget about simplicity. All the different borders I thought about in regards to this quilt never seemed to gain traction until this week.
Cactus Baskets Quilt
Then I finally considered a plain one-fabric border. I definitely think the middle of this quilt more than holds its own when it comes to 'interest' and more piecing is not always better. And so this quilt with its odd shape {70 1/2" x 97"} can officially be called a finished quilt top.
A closer look....
It's hard to believe that I started this quilt on a whim almost a year ago. And all because I was determined to get better at making these particular blocks with parallelograms! Which I did. Get better and gain a little confidence to boot. Although most of my difficult piecing does seem easier with hand stitching. Amazing how that can work sometimes....
The border does actually have a very light stripe in it...
The little flowers are my own addition and I think they make the entire quilt. But that's just me. I'm a little {ahem!} biased about applique in case you hadn't noticed....
Another quilt top in the queue--an entirely different list....
So now I have another project to cross off my UFQ list this spring. Funny how it seems to grow almost as fast as I clear things off....

26 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you : simple is good. I agree as well concerning the little flowers. Your Cactus basket top is SUCCESSFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes less is more. And I too agree that the little flowers make the quilt. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always attracted to the simple tradtional patterns. Started making my first log cabin! Maybe I just need straight lines after Baltimore Garden! I love the little flowers and the setting triangles they really called for a simple border

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a top I hope doesn't linger long in the queue, I'm already imagining the effect of batting and hand quilting stitches adding even more depth and interest to this super top. You have a winner here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those flowers absolutely make the quilt! What a cute quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. The flowers look good in their little baskets. Well done for finishing something off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a sweet basket of flowers - very cute! the border looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another lovely quilt! Yes, I agree, simple is sometimes better. I think if you are a proficient hand piecer then the more difficult patterns are done quicker by hand than machine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes the little flowers added the WOW factor to the quilt, the dark border also helps the little cuties stand out even more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that the simplest idea is usually the last one we consider. Funny how we make life/quilting more complicated than it needs to be :)
    Love the flowers you added to the blocks - a perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it and of course I love your circles!!! I have forgotten how many quilts I have added circles to - they always "make" the quilt! I love the patch work & plaid setting triangles as well

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's the perfect border for you quilt...it's absolutely beautiful! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes simple is best. Not sure why we over look that. Your flowers in your basket are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep, you are right, the flowers make the quilt! I love those simple little flowers, and the rest is very cool too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. 97" long! I had no idea it was that big. But, it's gorgeous, and I agree with everyone else, it is right that the blocks should be the star, and the border the supporting cast. I think the coming of spring has energized you! I need to borrow some, I think. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your border solution and I'd have to agree that the applique lolipop flowers do make the block!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the simple border. It really makes your baskets stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute! I love how the gold in the setting squares sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice finish. I wish I could cross something off my UFO list. All I seem to do is add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good finish, Audrey. The simple border looks great. Are you planning to pipe (or faux pipe) the binding? I haven't done that yet but plan to try it this year. I love your circle flowers, too. I usually hand applique circles but may try machine applique. We'll see. Looking at yours, I can't believe anything looks better than handwork. They are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good solution, Audrey. Wow, you are getting through some finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The border solution is very attractive. I would probably end up with some chopped off pieces. Yours look very precisely done.

    ReplyDelete
  24. As always, the unexpected is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.