Sunday, March 1, 2015

Slow Stitching the Baskets

It seems like there's been a few more 'no-reply' comments lately what I usually get. Please understand, if you're not getting a personal reply back from me in your e-mail, it's because I have no way to contact you! I know that Google Plus and Typepad don't always play nice with Blogger {what I use here} so just leave a email in the comment if you'd like a return comment.
Vertical Baskets quilt in the hoop
I've been steadily working my way through Vertical Baskets late in the evenings. At first I was a little dubious about how the stitching in the panel fabric would look alongside the basket stitching, but as you can see, all is well. My 'loose' pattern of stitching has definitely turned out to be a bit denser than intended {not sure how that always happens} but it's difficult to be upset at the end result.
Looking at the stitching pattern in the lighter backing fabric...
I'm using a light tan colored thread, hoping the color will be light enough to show stitching lines when looking close-up, but not so dark as to compete with the print in the dark brown panels. Yep! I'm liking the results of that too.

The color of the stitches doesn't show up very well in the back of the quilt, but I don't worry much about that. My backings are always clearance/sale or scrappy bits anyway. At the back of the quilt, the texture is much, much more important to me than actually seeing the stitches. I'm kinda strange that way.
So happy to see it all start to come together.....
It always takes me awhile to relax into a quilt and trust how my instincts are telling me to progress, so yes, it's fun to get this far and be happy with the results. I still can't 'see' the full stitching pattern in my mind prior to actually doing the work of implementing it, but now that I'm a good third of the way through the quilt, it's right in front of my eyes. Oh yes! This is even better than what I envisioned! You have to know by now that I always expect something less than wonderful with my own work.*wink

Linking up to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching where the slow stuff is the good stuff....

33 comments:

  1. I really like your baskets a lot--especially those darker backgrounds--really different. Nice quilting--hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it a wonderful feeling when your quilting turns out to be just perfect? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intended to say that I love your quilting ... it looks fabulous.

      Delete
  3. Looking good! I like the stitching in the panel fabric, and you are right: it is definitely working with the baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you are stitching this! I always adding more stitches than I intend, but the important thing is we like it when it is finished. As soon as I figure out the yardage I am on the hunt for a great background for my new string blocks. Since they are square I am thinking something with a curved pattern. It will be fun searching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these are just beautiful! Your stitching is really enhancing a beautiful quilt! ... but then again, I am partial to baskets! LOL It looks like the perfect quilt to curl up under!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quilt is going to be just amazing when you finish it! I am in awe of your hand quilting, and the baskets are so charming. I always find inspiration in your blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have made quite a lot of progress on your quilting!! Love that panel texture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you are quilting this. I know what you mean about backings - I get a lot of backings on sale, sometimes wide backs and some times pieces that need to be sewn together to make them wide enough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful - looks lovely and soft! the colours are wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its really looking wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This quilt is so darling. I'm enjoying watching is progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. preciosas cestas y preciosos colores!!!
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely stitching. Lovely texture. I love basket quilts of any kind!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking good! You're much faster at hand quilting than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your hand quilting is just fabulous! You have chosen the perfect design for this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love texture in a quilt! This quilt looks perfect to wrap up in - cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love, love this! You got such great pictures of the marvelous texture that you are creating. What a lovely quilt :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful texture that is being added to this project as you stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The most beautiful quilt ever! Wonderful hand quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love seeing your quilting on the back. So textural. You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This quilt is already looking so cuddly. I just love the texture and softness of hand quilting. Great job with your fabric and thread color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the colours, it's a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such beautiful quilting. I just love this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like everything about this quilt. It is comfort in the looking.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your vertical bars look better every time; the stitching really highlights them. I get my backs from scraps or clearance, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this quilt , baskets are lovely anyway but really like what you have done here. Your quilting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your Baskets quilt. The quilting is looking wonderful. That strippy fabric looks vintage, great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so envious of people like you that do beautiful hand quilting. You seem to get it quilted in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm with Nancy above. The quilting really enhances the design on the fabric.
    AND I love baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just lovely quilting....you should be pleased. A couple of questions....do you use a hoop, and what kind of batting do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful! I know exactly what you mean when the design is even better than you'd hoped! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.