Working on my Pickle Dish/Wedding Ring quilt once again! I had a bit of a window without any kids at home and decided to throw it on the floor to audition the layout.
Moving on with the Pickle Dish/Wedding Ring
Oops! Somehow I ended up with one melon too many with the red squares on the end. A little bit annoying, but an easy fix. I just made myself get the seam ripper out and get to it. No sense putting off what I know has to be done in order to move forward.
The big oops!
Mostly I just had to determine which four melons needed to be sewn together. After they have been sewn together (at the squares) in groups of four, then next up is appliqueing them to the background squares. I've noticed throughout blogland that some Pickle Dish quilts are machine sewn at this stage, but I'm following the Material Obsession pattern and those directions say to applique. Which makes me so very sad.*wink
I think it looks fairly balanced
After I got it the blocks the way I wanted, then I cut out little squares and marked them like this: 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d and then 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d etc. I have to have some order in the midst of chaos just to survive so don't knock it! Otherwise I sew two blocks together and then all of a sudden I'm totally confused in what order the next two go on.
Saves me lots of time and in this case, dozens of trips up and down the stairs from my living room to my quilting area! After they were all marked, I just stacked them carefully into a tote and took everything upstairs all at once. Whew! Lovely to get everything up off the floor. I've had quite a bit of family in and out for a week and a half and the quilty stuff laying on the floor would not even be noticed if it was in the way of getting to the X-box.
Anyway, I already have the sets of four sewn together--it really didn't take very long at all. Now I'm just waiting for life to calm down again to move on to the next step. Strange of me I know, but I want to have zero distractions when I start the applique process! haha Like that will ever happen!