Thursday, April 17, 2014

Don't Ever Feel Like You HAVE to Leave a Comment...

I've been struggling with the Geese Tracks quilt for a little while now. I knew it needed another border (or two) but kept changing my mind about things. Mostly the color was giving me fits. This quilt does fall a bit outside my normal comfort zone when we're zeroing in on the color choices.
The Geese Tracks quilt
When I finally settled, it was a simple process to cut out the squares needed for the border. Wallah, done! Then it just sat there again. Now, some of you would say that I was probably having a tough time going forward because something was lacking with the border idea. Or is wasn't complete. Or maybe I was second guessing the colors I chose? Maybe it didn't even need a border.*ack! Everyone has ideas. And personal opinions too. That's the charm of quilting--it's all rather open ended.
Getting ready for the border
So this is my quilt, making me wonder exactly what was holding it back. I think putting off the making was just delaying the fact that I knew it wouldn't look quite right to YOU--with this latest addition as the last and final border. And isn't that exactly how we present it here on the blog when we take a picture at whatever particular stage the last stitch was taken? "Here it is? Do you like it 'as is'?" Maybe. Or maybe not! Oh the joys of being open about quilty progress....

If I don't even know for sure what's going on here, how can I expect you to comprehend? At least I have the images of the last border in my mind! (And sort of scrawled on a piece of paper I'm hoping desperately to interpret!) At which point the poor quilty blogger gets absolute radio silence. lol You know it happens 'cuz we've all been there before haven't we?*sigh
Border strips
Well, just so you know for sure, I'm not planning for this to be the last border. How could it be when all along the quilt has been made with this last border idea in mind? I wasn't totally sure how to get there and I've been afraid to get it Wrong. You know, with a capital 'W'. So.... Two rows of squares? Personally I think it needs more.
Border two squares wide....
Three squares? Almost too wide. But I'm leaving it anyway. For now. The only thing I know for sure, is that fallback border ideas are not working for me this time around. We all have our preferences, but at some point it starts looking suspiciously like a shhh... rut. Every single idea is getting the second, third and even fourth guess.
Border three squares wide....
Am I growing? Learning? Going out on a limb destined to fall with a big crash? I'll say it doesn't really matter no matter what happens here. It's called moving forward and I'll either do something good or I won't. It's really that simple. At the end of the day it's just fabric and hello? I have a seam ripper. And please don't get too excited about the last border. It's not super original or even extra-special wonderful, it's just something I want to do with more of those black flowers. You know, just to see if I can.*wink

And seriously, don't ever feel like you have to leave a comment on this blog just to be nice! I won't be crushed or too scared to post partial quilt projects again. For the most part I'm just trying to put my stuff out there in an open way so that others can see that quilting isn't always straightforward and struggle-free. It's simple to post about the good times, a little more complicated to explain the inner workings of our process...

24 comments:

  1. I very seldom know where mine are going just go with the flow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the way this turned out! That vase border is so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Los vasos preciosos, siempre me gustaron
    ¡¡¡¡ los cuadros quizás dos filas seria suficiente !!!!!
    Me gusta, como todos tus trabajos
    buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the three square border... the theory of scale comes to mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes by posting the photos you can really see what you are doing and get a better idea of where to go. I know I post as I go and sometimes someone will tell me they think I am way off on an idea - or give suggestions - but in the end it is your quilt and your ideas - sometimes we need to just put it aside for a week while we think about it. I like it how you have it now

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy your process. I think seeing the quilts going through the steps is so interesting...and your comments are always entertaining. Thanks for sharing, I think it's how we all learn and grow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speaking only for myself, I prefer these musings. I think the process is often more interesting than the result, however spectacular. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 3 square border looks really effective, not too wide at all! Your progress show and tell is always great to see. I've realised that I sometimes lose my mojo for my quilts if I show photos during the making. I don't know why. I use the thought of being able to show them on my blog as a reward to get them finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes for me putting it away for a while I get a better feel for what I think will work. I love that center block and I agree with Rachael that the 3 square border looks good. You will work it out. I like that you put it out there, all of us get stuck sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the 3 square border. Personally, when I have issues with a project I just leave it for awhile and come back to it. Sometimes just 24 hours ignoring it will help. The project looks different and sometimes you can figure out how to change it. I know one of mine gets little additions everytime I play with it. I still have to figure out how I want to hand quilt around several stained glass blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dark flowers are one of the first things I noticed about this quilt early on and thought how much I liked them. The vases are what come second. I like that you are going to do something else with the flowers on a later border and will wait patiently for that to come. The color scheme on this one is something that would push my normal comfort zone of working but it looks mighty good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really interesting to see your process. It's a good thing to show a project as you work on it and admit that it's not all plain sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the border and I think it provides a nice break for the next border (whatever that may be). I love reading and seeing the processes that other quilters use to make and finish their quilts, sometimes it is really helpful seeing a quilt partially completed. it kind of gives me a lightbulb moment for my own unfinished quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm intrigued to see where you are heading. I'd like to maybe see another flower or leaf or partial flower amongst the vases and your borders. Perhaps an asymmetrical border with some flying geese would be a direction to consider?

    What is happening with Muddy Creek?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy reading about your thought processes. Partially complete quilts never look "finished" because they aren't! My quilts go mostly the way yours do - I start with an idea and then build on it. Sometimes the idea is the border, and I have to find something to go in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well said! It's great to see someone else struggling with the process - I think too often bloggers show the end result without all the heart ache of getting there (guilty!!). So looking forward to the next bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it looks great - I love the border of squares! Sometimes quilts just don't talk to us loud enough :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. After comparing the two versions, I do like the three square border best. Oh the anxiety we go through with our quilts sometimes! I look forward to seeing the neat border, I am sure it will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What about a solid black spacer between the vases and the squares. Someplace for the eye to rest. It kind of all runs together for me right now. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is precisely the reason why I read quilt blogs - I love to read about other's process. For some reason I appreciate other's work when I read about it on-line as opposed to a group meeting. I learn so much from this generous community - thank you! Take care, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would scrap the too pale checkerboard border and use a wide dark border instead, maybe one of those new cottons that look like flannel or a dark cotton calico/ homespun that ''reads'' solid. Then I d applique flowers/ leaves/ stems in a simple prim deisgn, echoing the applique in the center. I think a dark border would make this quilt pop, it needs the depth and richness. Just my thoughts....Red binding like the basket's color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The border looks great. Sometimes quilt projects take a while to simmer, especially if you are doing something original - I love the look

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL. Well, I do think you need a certain amount of personal conviction to be a blogger -- or a thick skin! Sometimes the different ideas I get from the comments can be very helpful, even if it is just to identify what NOT to do! :D You don't have to eat everything at the buffet...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.