Tuesday, July 31, 2012

And Now I've Started a Table Runner....

I just couldn't resist.  I've been wanting to do something new for my china hutch for a long time now.  And after winning 'Back To Charm School' the other day?  My excuses were starting to wear a bit thin.
Some of these are a little too small for comfort
It obviously doesn't take much to justify starting a new project around here.*lol  I grabbed my charm square pack, scrounged around for some scraps to help balance things out and started cutting.  Wowsers are some of these squares small!  I was totally wincing while I was cutting them out, because me and small pieces don't always get along real well.
Getting the corners sewn on
Amazingly, I didn't end up with too many wonky segments...
A mock-up bow-tie block
I put a couple blocks up on the wall and yep!  It actually looks like a bow-tie block just like the picture in the book!  I have really, really liked this block for years and have somehow always managed to avoid making it.  In this small of a block, the cheater corner piecing doesn't bother me at all, but in larger blocks I want to see the original piecing for some reason.  Sigh.... Such a traditionalist.  (And that would be the real reason I haven't made this block.*wink)
Looking at the first 7 rows (about 1/3 of the runner)
I'm changing the pattern (of course) and making a long table runner instead of a chunky rectangular shape.  I may end up adding a very small border all the way around too.  We'll see.  I need to get it all sewn up and check it out on the china hutch before I make my decision about that.  First things first.

To be honest, I've already chucked the 3" squares and started digging through my totes for a fabric I like better to join the bow-ties together.  My little off-brown squares are bugging me.  Just not right for this project I guess!

1 comment:

  1. Love your little bow ties. I have a baggie of them finished and have not decided how to set them. Looking forward to seeing your final choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting! Getting comments always makes me happy. I try to respond personally to each comment but if you happen to be a 'no-reply commenter' then you'll have to leave an e-mail to be hearing back from me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...